The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodlers Red-Black

ink noodlers red-brown ink

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2018 - 18:07

Got three bottles of Red-Blac in the mail today . Haven't loaded a pen yet but I did try dipping with a completely clean pen and was very disapointed . It writes brown . No red , no black , no burgandy but brown and a rather average brown at that . Bad batch or par for the course for red-black ? This is my first time trying a noodlers ink and if this is any indication of what I can expect will probably be my last . Writing sample the seller posted was beautiful but this stuff looks nothing like what he posted . I am gonna try it in a clean pen with a fine nib and see if that is better if not I will probably get some noodlers red and try mixing it . Would appreciate any feedback from those who have used this ink . Thanks .

Eddie

Sponsored Content

#2 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 18:30

Firstly, make sure to shake the bottle well prior to opening it.  As I recall, this ink is a mix of a non-water resistant red ink and the Noodlers Bulletproof black ink.  Nothing more.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#3 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 18:41

good advice, and please make sure the lid is on tight before shaking

you should only have to do this once to yourself...

#4 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2018 - 18:42

Will try that but the bottle I opened wont likely shake worth a toot because it is full to near running over .I'll pour some in another bottle , shake it up and pour them back together and shake some more . Thanks for the input .

Eddie

#5 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2018 - 18:58

Now I'm on the edge of my seat!  This is like a season-ending cliff-hanger! ;)

#6 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2018 - 18:59

That did change it very slightly but not enough to suit me . Shows the dark cherry reddish brown I am after when you are rinsing the nib but not on paper . Dries super quick though . Might have to experiment with some of my red and black Quink to see what I can come up with on my own. I won an auction for six bottles of Quink in red so I have a lifetime supply of it and also have plenty of black . 

Eddie

#7 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2018 - 20:32

I had a bottle many years ago and it was as though black was added to red ink and I found it true to name. I have also found, and heard anecdotal evidence, there are variances between batches of Noodlers ink so o stopped using it. This was many years ago so may not be representing current production standards.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#8 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2018 - 21:18

I had a bottle many years ago and it was as though black was added to red ink and I found it true to name. I have also found, and heard anecdotal evidence, there are variances between batches of Noodlers ink so o stopped using it. This was many years ago so may not be representing current production standards.

Zaddick,

Have heard the same and expected some variation but this shows no red or black tones at all only an average brown color . Guess I will learn a lesson and try samples before I buy next time . I guess the maker just mixes to a fixed formula and doesen't check the results before he bottles his product . This ink looks nothing like the writing sample used to show the color you could expect . I have tried 2 of the three bottles and both are the same . 

#9 Morphling27

Morphling27

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 21:30

You may be soured by Noodler's, but their widowmaker is a very red-black to me.  It's more a very dark red, but I love it. 

#10 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:16

My red-black darned near was brown, and kept me from buying a brown for years.  It got smudgy and I diluted it a good bit, and now it's a very well-behaved burgundy.  It's a workhorse ink for me, but not one I actually like.

I'll also agree that Widow Maker is a dark red.  I don't care much for those, but I can imagine that in desperation or stinginess I might add a drop or two of some black to 4ml or so of Widow Maker in a sample vial to see if that gets me something I like, or at least find more usable.

#11 EdwardSouthgate

EdwardSouthgate

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:38

Maybe I should try a tad of distilled water in it ?  

#12 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:14

Test small batches in a sample vial.  But yeah, I think that might help.

#13 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:11

I really love Red Black.  It works best with a wet pen and a little tiny bit of dilution (so yes dilute in a sample vial.)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#14 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:31

My bottle a few years ago was mostly black.  It was hard to see the redness.  I came to like Montblanc Burgundy Red more.  Still pretty dark red.  One bottle I darkened to taste by adding Montblanc black in small increments.  I usually mix using the same maker's ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#15 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 21:17

My bottle a few years ago was mostly black.  It was hard to see the redness.  I came to like Montblanc Burgundy Red more.  Still pretty dark red.  One bottle I darkened to taste by adding Montblanc black in small increments.  I usually mix using the same maker's ink.

Yup, something similar, I didn't have the patience to coax the right colour out of it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, noodlers, red-brown ink

Sponsored Content

|