There Is Really A Lot Of Ink Out There, And Money!

Charles Skinner

I had the following thought awhile ago. There is really a lot of money, AND a lot of ink out there! Years ago, after using all of the ink in a bottle, I would go down to the office supply store and ask them to order another bottle for me, which they were glad to do. Write with the ink in that bottle for eight or nine months, and then order another bottle. Today, as I write, I have about eight bottles of different inks, all being only partly "used." My guess is that most of us serious fountain pen users also have at least that many bottle of only partly used ink, AND we are VERY likely to buy even more bottles of ink before we go to that great INK STORE in the sky! So, why do we all have so many bottles of ink, --- most of which will never be completely "used up?" The answer is: ------- THERE IS A LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE, AND WE PEN FOLKS HAVE OUR SHARE OF IT! Your thoughts, please.

C. Skinner

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Charles Skinner

• bass1193

• uceroy

In the same vein, people into knitting and spinning tend to stockpile a "stash" of yarn and fiber. It's a reflection of the compulsive nature of many hobbyists, myself included. Surely there are some people who collect consumables systematically, but for me at least it's an "ooooh pretty must try myself!!" kinda thing. :lol:

That's what the ink is there for. None of the hundred+ ink companies are out there to sell only one kind of ink to one person....

My chance of getting into the great ink store up in the sky is big.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

So many colors.. It's like shiney things to a magpie 😂

Then the fear of missing out with the limited editions etc.

I barely started out two months ago and I already have like 16 bottles of ink.. I have to admit I'm quite the stash hoarder and love colors. (I'm pretty sure my colored pencil collection could beat a small art store..)

Edit.. Oh dear, actually counted and I'm on 39 already 🤣

Edited by uceroy

What bass1193 said. I have yarn stockpiled, pretty much every color of DMC floss, bags of processed fiber, three spinning wheels (plus a not yet working charkha). Plus boxes of unused Crayola markers, lots of composition books, books I haven't gotten around to reading, etc. Oh, and bunch of vintage narcissus bulbs which never got planted (that is, if the groundhog that lives under our front porch didn't eat them...).

At least a lot of the pens I've gotten deals on, if not actually being a sumgai....

Oh and I brought an entire tote bag with me of CDs for the trip east for Thanksgiving. I think we listened to two of them, plus one of the albums already programmed into the changer in the car stereo (which can hold up to 18 albums -- I've got, um, 3 programmed in, and just rebought the one programmed in album because the CD itself has gone walkabout in my house... :blush:). In my defense, it's my favorite album, has my second favorite song of all time on it, and if the old CD turns up then I have a backup to keep in the house as well as one to have in the other car. Oh, and I still own the album on vinyl from back in the day.... B) And because the Amazon seller was such a jerk (and didn't then like the mediocre review I gave on the transaction, I got a substantial refund, so the replacement CD ended up costing me something like 15¢.... (Just for the record, BTW, my initial review stands.... Not changing it just because I got a refund, because my complaints had NOTHING to do with money, but with lack of transparency, lack of tracking info, not following specified delivery requests, and possibly overcharging me to begin with (what Amazon said the bill would be was not the same amount as what was withdrawn from my credit card -- and I'm going to be watching for that bill like a HAWK...; and damn straight I'll be filing a dispute if necessary...).

16 bottles of ink? That's nothing.... Beginner baby steps. I'm almost to the point of having to start a 4th book of ink testing/reviews for myself (although admittedly I do have more samples than bottles...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

When I joined FPN, there were like 5 companies each with 5 colors of ink. Then Noodler's came along with a new ink each week and everyone joined the bandwagon.

I was ask by a person who posted a reply here ---- to define "a lot of money." Well, it is easy to see! Just open your eyes! Restaurant parking lots are always full around the three meal times. Look at the cars most people drive! Almost all are less than five years old! Huge numbers of people pay really big buck to attend sporting events. Even most of what we would call "poor people," have air conditioning in their houses or apartment. Major airline planes are often full of folks going somewhere to "spend their money." Even the so called poor, usually have "smart phones." I believe that about 94% of the people in our country have never "missed a meal" in their lives. I have more nice pens that I have children! Bet you do too! I could go on and on, so don't ever fail to understand that "there is a lot of money out there!" C. S.

"

A lot of money? Depends on what part of Ouagadougou you live in.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have never felt a rush to get inks, so have been acquiring them slowly over 11 years, about five and 1/2 a year on average, which has allowed me to have every color and shade within each color family. I do feel the the ink market maybe getting a bit saturated in many areas, though the obvious ability of many in this community to sustain such market may keep it rumbling along.

Fountain pens and inks have always been luxury writing tools compared to the humble #2 pencil and later the ubiquity of the ballpoint pen. Some people are more self aware of this than others....

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

The fountain pen community is not an accurate reflection of the wealth levels and spending habits of the median sample for the planet. We are priveleged, yes. And there is much more ink made and sold than will ever be used.

What bass1193 said. I have yarn stockpiled, pretty much every color of DMC floss, bags of processed fiber, three spinning wheels (plus a not yet working charkha).

I have five wheels :blush:

That's what the ink is there for. None of the hundred+ ink companies are out there to sell only one kind of ink to one person....

My chance of getting into the great ink store up in the sky is big.

I would be happy to imagine meeting up with Member lapis, in the "great ink store in the sky," & plan to keep buying inks to increase my chances of same!

In my case, HOW I spend my money allows this to be possible; I drive a 2005 car (paid for @ purchase & chosen because it was a cost that allowed me to do so,) do not have a cell phone, watch television (so no cable service) & live VERY frugally so that I can purchase things that are meaningful to me.

I also am aware that "appearances can be deceiving," many persons with a lot of money do not live in ways which appear to suggest same; All those expensive cars, houses, etc may not be an accurate measure of anyone's "net worth."

I had the following thought awhile ago. There is really a lot of money, AND a lot of ink out there! Years ago, after using all of the ink in a bottle, I would go down to the office supply store and ask them to order another bottle for me, which they were glad to do. Write with the ink in that bottle for eight or nine months, and then order another bottle. Today, as I write, I have about eight bottles of different inks, all being only partly "used." My guess is that most of us serious fountain pen users also have at least that many bottle of only partly used ink, AND we are VERY likely to buy even more bottles of ink before we go to that great INK STORE in the sky! So, why do we all have so many bottles of ink, --- most of which will never be completely "used up?" The answer is: ------- THERE IS A LOT OF MONEY OUT THERE, AND WE PEN FOLKS HAVE OUR SHARE OF IT! Your thoughts, please.

C. Skinner

Wait... you're saying when I pass there's another ink store to worry about finding colors from.

And I thought death would be a release from this.

I have five wheels :blush:

Cool beans. What do you have? I have a Kromski Mazurka (working), a PoS Ashford Traditional (semi-working; Ashfords are only as good as whoever put them together, which in my case -- since it was bought used, not so much...), and a no-name wheel (not working) given to me by a friend in MA -- her mother bought it from some guy selling them door to do when she was a kid, that worked well until I lost the pulley and bobbin in the move back down to Pgh.... And of course the charkha, which, well, needs some work to be made functional....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have four wheels and a spacesaver spare.

Oh. Sorry. :headsmack:

:lticaptd:

whether money is a lot or not (it's subjective) but most of us have worked hard for it...

can we please just spend it as desired without having to feel remorse? :)

I have approx 40 bottles of ink, (but feel I have restrained myself considerably) and do count on stacking up quite a few more before the great gig

I say be glad. Be glad that ink companies are profitable enough to make so many varieties of ink - because this means the industry is doing well and we should be able to continue our hobby. Be glad for samples. (I've got nearly 100 of them! :blush: What can I say? I like variety.) And be glad that people are successful enough to be able to afford discretionary items that they enjoy - success and prosperity are good things. Hopefully those of us who can be are generous in helping the less fortunate - I expect that's especially true of this community; fountain pen people are some of the most generous people I have the pleasure of interacting with.

I buy only one bottle of ink a year and still have several bottles, because I write mainly with fine-point pens, and it takes more than a year for me to exhaust a bottle of ink.