My Twsbi 580 Al Broke ... Again

sodiumnitrate

Shame, another one bites the dust. sad.png

Was the Mini an EDC/extensively used?

Nope, I used it a few times and then it sat in a pen pot where it was mostly ignored for the last couple of years. (Because I'd made a hash of the nib trying to sharpen it - it was a 1.1mm italic, and I wanted a crisper edge. I sharpen my italic dip nibs with an Arkansas stone, but when I did the same to this nib it came out too sharp and unpleasant to use.)

It's a shame because I like the size and feel of the pen, but I don't want to buy a replacement because I can't trust it'll stay in one piece for long enough to warrant the cost.

Instagram @inkysloth

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Inkysloth

• sodiumnitrate

• Fuzzy_Bear

It's a shame because I like the size and feel of the pen, but I don't want to buy a replacement because I can't trust it'll stay in one piece for long enough to warrant the cost.

+1

My use has been similar and now both are just waiting to get offloaded.

Better to get something rather than nothing, once a crack develops. sad.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

My 540 cap was broken by someone ripping the cap off today as they were replacing a phone in my office. They just grabbed the pen off my desk to fill out an invoice and just stood there staring at the nib wondering what was in their hand. He felt guilty about it and willingly gave me full replacement value in cash on the spot. While I enjoyed using it over the years, I will not be replacing it with a 580.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

While I enjoyed using it over the years, I will not be replacing it with a 580.

thumbup.gif

You were lucky to have used the pen free of charge, indirectly. On to the next pen with the jackpot... wink.png

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear about all of these breaking pens. I had too many problems with my and my mothers 580s, and I have sworn off buying more. Pens do break, but I was one who bought early TWSBIs, had those crack, and then got new ones expecting them to be have these issues resolved. I stick to other brands now, some I do baby, but a lot just get daily use at Uni, nothing else had broken without cause like my TWSBIs have.

Gobblecup ~

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a mini-vac barrel replaced. I was really surprise to see the crack. After reading this post, I am staying away from TWSBI. Granted their customer service was quick to my email and it will only cost be $4 to replace. However, I have a $50+ pen holder that got drenched in ink.

I am having a mini-vac barrel replaced. I was really surprise to see the crack. After reading this post, I am staying away from TWSBI. Granted their customer service was quick to my email and it will only cost be $4 to replace. However, I have a $50+ pen holder that got drenched in ink.

Once repaired, you can offload it for something better. Shame about the soaked pen holder. angry.png

Engineer :

Once repaired, you can offload it for something better. Shame about the soaked pen holder. angry.png

I have a lot of great pens. I got it out of curiosity. I am going to sell it!

I got it out of curiosity. I am going to sell it!

Same approach here. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

• 1 month later...

Stood on the brink of buying one, but this post has helped me to not buy another TWSBI. I have had two (mini and 540). The mini never worked (drying out) and cracked. I loved my 540 but had to replace too many parts because of cracking. I had hopes that the 580 AL version had solved these issues but it seems not... Just saved myself some money and frustrations I guess. Thanks everybody.

Edited by fphilipp

Plenty of other options to try. Happy hunting. smile.png

Engineer :

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought before I read any of these posts. Then I defended because none of my 580's (2) or my Eco had any problems.

580's

One cap had the threads disintegrate. The other broke at the silver trim. That cap is non replaceable due to it being a clear red cap. Now the nib unit had disintegrated into three pieces.

Eco

Luckily, no problems yet.

Will not buy another TWSBI. I don't care if the parts are shipping only. Im not even ordering the parts. I'll find other uses for the parts or just trash them.

Peace and Understanding

After reading this entire thread, I'm concluding that TWSBI isn't for everyone; that's unfortunate.

I have four Ecos and two 580s. I've had them for years and use them all the time. They've been nothing but perfect. One Eco is dedicated to Baystate Blue; it's been five years now (flushed out and refilled once per year) -- no problems.

Somehow, I can't chalk this up to luck.

This is a bit concerning, TWSBI is my favorite brand so far.

I've got a 580AL, Vac Mini and blue Vac 700, I've carried them to work regularly and do most of my paperwork with them without a problem except for the Mini leaking out a little bit into the blind cap.

Today I also got a 580AL for my mother since she liked mine and it reminded her of a fountain pen she used when she was a little girl; and so far all but one 580AL of these TWSBI are used.

Well, here's to hoping that I don't have any major issues, at least with the limited editions!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't use my 580AL much, but with these TWSBI cracking threads of course I had to look for a problem. It turns out in my cap, the plastic inside the wide cap ring has about 10 hairline cracks. None extend beyond the ring... yet. I also have hairline cracks all over the piston knob. Oh well. Until it has a structural failure I'll tell myself it is like the vintage Rolex with the eggshell watch face. Back in the 60's (I think), Rolex used a paint on some of their watch faces that cracked all over like an eggshell over the decades and yellowed. Those Rolex eggshell watch face watches are now prized and valuable.

Ive had two TWSBIs go bad on me. And both times I paid the four dollars, or whatever, to get the replacement bits. Ive written about my dissatisfaction here, before.

Love the look of the pens. Love the feel. Love the ink flow... but wont ever, ever buy another.

• 5 months later...

I had the same feeling when my TWSBI broke. If it's any consolation, none of my other dozen fountain pens have broken. (Both more and less expensive pens.) Maybe try another pen brand when you're feeling up for it. Good luck!

I have 5 TWSBI pens. 3 are the cheap ECO models and none of those have given any problems despite being used for more intensively for general knockabout note taking. Bit it's an entirely different tale with the more expensive models. If one of the ECOs had failed I'd have written it off. But not these two, as follows. Both of which have lived more in the wallet than on my desk.

Vac Mini - developed a longitudinal split in the ink chamber several weeks after purchase. After sending a pic illustrating the issue I received a replacement. Fair enough.

580RB - only now it's out of warranty. The cap sheared off immediately above the chrome screw ring. Cult Pens told me they'd happily order a new one. FOR £25... didn't take up that offer. Which would be just good money after bad.

Vac Mini - again... only this time it's the piston operating knob. Exactly like the 580RB, it's sheared off immediately where the VERY thin plastic joins the chrome ring that screws to the body. Different component, same fracture point.

These are obviously stress fractures. On checking with a magnifier, there's no sign of deformation such as might be seen if the plastic had deformed before splitting. The break line is entirely clean, showing that it went from being whole to sudden failure. Which is symptomatic of excessively brittle material.

When caps are even carefully tightened down, the O ring seal becomes compressed. Which means that the cap is under stretching stress all the time it's in place. I looks to me that TWSBI didn't factor in this stress at design point, the wall thickness at point of failure is very, very thin. And considering that this excessively thin plastic wall also has to transmit tightening-torque to the threaded section as the O ring gets compressed - even slightly - as well as to hold against that seal pushing-back all the time it's in place sealing the nib from dry-out, you can see why failure happens at these chrome rings. But TWSBI should have foreseen that during design, being a professional manufacturer of these things. They didn't just start making pens last month...

Meantime, I have two partially crippled pens. in my book, quite expensive pens. (I'm a pensioner, can't afford big name pens) The 580RB now has a glued cap that sort-of engages and the Vac Mini can't screw its piston ass'y down as needed to seal for secure pocketing.

Having got nowhere with my U.K. dealer, I've contacted TWSBI directly via the main website's cintact form. Standing back now to see what results come back from that.

I have 5 TWSBI pens. 3 are the cheap ECO models and none of those have given any problems despite being used for more intensively for general knockabout note taking. Bit it's an entirely different tale with the more expensive models. If one of the ECOs had failed I'd have written it off. But not these two, as follows. Both of which have lived more in the wallet than on my desk.

Vac Mini - developed a longitudinal split in the ink chamber several weeks after purchase. After sending a pic illustrating the issue I received a replacement. Fair enough.

580RB - only now it's out of warranty. The cap sheared off immediately above the chrome screw ring. Cult Pens told me they'd happily order a new one. FOR £25... didn't take up that offer. Which would be just good money after bad.

Vac Mini - again... only this time it's the piston operating knob. Exactly like the 580RB, it's sheared off immediately where the VERY thin plastic joins the chrome ring that screws to the body. Different component, same fracture point.

These are obviously stress fractures. On checking with a magnifier, there's no sign of deformation such as might be seen if the plastic had deformed before splitting. The break line is entirely clean, showing that it went from being whole to sudden failure. Which is symptomatic of excessively brittle material.

When caps are even carefully tightened down, the O ring seal becomes compressed. Which means that the cap is under stretching stress all the time it's in place. I looks to me that TWSBI didn't factor in this stress at design point, the wall thickness at point of failure is very, very thin. And considering that this excessively thin plastic wall also has to transmit tightening-torque to the threaded section as the O ring gets compressed - even slightly - as well as to hold against that seal pushing-back all the time it's in place sealing the nib from dry-out, you can see why failure happens at these chrome rings. But TWSBI should have foreseen that during design, being a professional manufacturer of these things. They didn't just start making pens last month...

Meantime, I have two partially crippled pens. in my book, quite expensive pens. (I'm a pensioner, can't afford big name pens) The 580RB now has a glued cap that sort-of engages and the Vac Mini can't screw its piston ass'y down as needed to seal for secure pocketing.

Having got nowhere with my U.K. dealer, I've contacted TWSBI directly via the main website's cintact form. Standing back now to see what results come back from that.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences - I've had similar with some of my TWSBIs too. I've always found TWSBI customer service to be responsive and helpful though - so hoping you'll find it the same!