My Collection Is Now Exclusively Mb!

siamackz

Over a period of two years, I curated a collection that included sets of Watermans, Sheaffers, Pelikan, Kaweco, MB, and other brands. I had collected close to 100 pens. This is not very much in comparison to serious collectors, but it is far more pens than I could ever imagine myself having!

But, I found myself always drawn to the MBs. If I had two pens inked, one would be an MB. Then, as my collection grew, I found myself only inking the MBs. Also, I realised that I was re-inking pens only after a period of 4-5 months because I had too many pens and wrote too little. I didnt feel good about this, I felt like I was hoarding.

So, about two months ago, I decided to sell all my non-MB pens and focus on building an all-MB collection. Also, I decided that I would buy less pens but more desirable ones. This would keep my collection relatively small and allow me to ink pens more often. It would also better preserve the value of my collection over time.

I have successfully sold about 60 pens till date, and now I am left with only MBs in my collection - that too, just MB from the 1950s and before.

I am reorganising my display, and awaiting for some pens to return from restorers. I will then put up a post sharing my humble collection with you, for whatever its worth.

I feel great about reducing my collection and increasing my focus on a set of pens that I appreciate the most.

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• Pen Nut

• meiers

• nonozon

It is interesting how tastes evolve over time. I was once almost all MB too and now back to wandering the wilds. I look forward to photos. Enjoy

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

It seems like many collectors tend to focus on a particular subject, theme, brand, etc. after a while.

I look forward to the time I can afford to add some vintage Montblancs to mine, being a big fan of vintage pens. As for their modern fare, the Heritage 1912 has me saving money as fast as I can! Such an amazing thing! :wub:

Edited by bass1193

It is great to hear about your journey Siamackz, I am ashamed to admit I envy it! :)

I havent yet found a true focus, like you I have some sets and so on, and dont really write enough to justify the size of my collection.

I am still hopeful that one day I will find pen satisfaction and be able to narrow my collection as you have done.

I look forward to the pictures! :thumbup:

I am now focusing on Montblanc and Namiki. The design and craftsmanship on Montblanc and the delicate visual sensation on Namiki makie are the highest art forms in fountain pens.

I am now focusing on Montblanc and Namiki. The design and craftsmanship on Montblanc and the delicate visual sensation on Namiki makie are the highest art forms in fountain pens.

You have discerning taste my friend

Interesting turn in your collection. I wish mine had more direction! Looking forward to seeing you pictures.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Really looking forward to seeing your collection Siamackz, mine is also predominantly from the 1930-50s :-)

how wonderful! Yes Im waiting for a few pens to come back to menin a few weeks after which I will immediately put up pics

I must agree. Tastes evolve as we get more mature. Interesting. I also passed through this reorientation of my collection, and today I have only Montblanc pens too (49 in total).

Except for two Pelikans and one Sailor my collection is now exclusively Montblanc. The Pelikans are tortoise shell 400s (one 1950s one modern) and the Sailor is a recent addition Pro Gear slim which goes in my pocket at work with keys etc so I dont mind if it gets scratched!

My Montblancs are slowly being upgraded as I buy and sell, Im currently up to a Copernicus and Martele both funded by sales of other pens as I have reduced the size of my collection.

Interesting. Mine was a 'scatter gun' themed collection which ended up virtually 100% MB then, after some years, it wasnt. Now through the twists & turns of various deals, I am again mostly MB with the Waterman Edson and two Nakayas also on the 'team'. Cant see me going for any other writing instruments from other makers from now on in.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I have a quite serious collection of Montblanc and I have, very seriously, tried to limit the collection to MB... I can't, and I have to accept that without regret...

Looking for your images...

Good decision, siamackz, it's time so see the pictures. ;)

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006