The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Drawing A River/stream

drawing river stream landscape water

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rahul_jain

rahul_jain

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 19:17

Last week we learnt how to draw a waterfall and this week we will stay with water and learn how to quickly draw a river/stream. It is again quite easy to do once few simple techniques are understood. So grab a pen and paper and follow along and enjoy discovering your creative side.

Step 1: Drawing River/Stream Outline

Draw a tapered shape of outline as shown below as it is visually interesting.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-1.gif

Step 2: Drawing River Bank.

Depending on the location of viewer, usually, one bank of river is visible. Draw it by using vertical parallel lines to define the depth of the river bank.

drawing-water-edge-3.jpg

Step 3: Drawing Water

Water can be indicated using few simple overlapping lines as shown below. Make the lines follow the contour of river's bank.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-4.gif

Step 4; Drawing Foliage

It is visually interesting to have something by river's edge that is reflected in water. A simple foliage works very well. It can be drawn using a combination of scribble for foliage and tapered darks for trunks. Vol 5. of my pen and ink workbook discusses drawing foliage in details.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-5.gif

Step 5: Drawing Reflection

Proper reflection in water is very important to bring out the feel of water. It can be drawn using horizontal lines as shown below. 

drawing-reflection.gif

Draw reflection of foliage in water using the above technique.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-6.gif

Step 6: Finishing with Other Elements

To bring a finished feel, other elements like ground cover, distant tree line, stones, sky etc. can be added.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-7-2.gif

This finishes this tutorial. Hopefully it inspired you to try these simple pen and ink drawings and find how relaxing, enjoyable and easy these are to do.  My tutorials provide more information on drawing other elements of nature used above.

Drawing is always more fun as a social activity. To share this with others and on your social media, pl. click here.

Happy Drawing,

Rahul

www.pendrawings.me/getstarted

Sponsored Content

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 23:16

I tried the snow on trees and made a nice little (purple) tree. This looks cool also. Your step-by-step instructions are excellent.
Posted Image

#3 saulyleeplans

saulyleeplans

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:01

Thank you for this tutorial I actually made something that doesn't look too bad.  I have subscribed to your email too now.

I'm learning as I go.  I am slightly obsessed with Fountain Pens!

www.penspaperink.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drawing, river, stream, landscape, water

Sponsored Content

|