Pocketable All Purpose Pen Upgrade From Pilot Metro F

bms259

I write pretty small cursive, and so I like very fine nibs that are still smooth. I have really been impressed with the Pilot Metro F and really enjoy writing with it.

I have been carrying a copper Karas Kustom Fountain K around in my pocket for a year or two now. I really love the pen, but I am not a fan of the writing experience. The western EF nib is just too wide for me. I had the same problem with the Lamy Safari EF. Ive had the nib ground down in my Karas Kustom pen, which helped. But I still like the way the Pilot Metro F writes better, especially for a cheap pen.

I also like the Platinum Preppy EF I have too.

So I am trying to figure out what pen I can purchase as my everyday all purpose pen that will be improved quality over the the Pilot.

If I get a new pen, I will carry it in my pocket and will use it for 90% of my everyday writing. Id like it to be an interesting pen that is rugged enough to live in my back pocket and nice enough to use for most writing. It needs to be a very fine for my small writing and sometimes crappy paper.

I have been research Pilot Custom 74 and 823 as potentials but I am open to other suggestions as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• bms259

• keybers

• SoulSamurai

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

back pocket, avoid traditional plastic. you'll break the 74 or 823. The moonman wancai mini is a stout little thing. Can be gotten with a very good EF nib and if you want a clip, a modern kaweco clip can be bought for about $5 and it fits tightly onto the little thing.

The travellers brass pen is also a solid choice.

The pilot elite e95s is a good back pocket pen and can be found with a needle thin extra fine gold nib.

Delike alpha in brass (you'd have to either glue the clip in place or use it without the clip but it's a bomb proof pen) is a great choice too.

If you want a front pocket pen, the custom 74 would do great. the 823 is getting a bit large. Also consider the platinum 3776 or a sailor 1911 or pro gear (the S models are smaller and more pocket friendly)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hi BMS,

HB would probably know better than me, she has a physical job,... but how about a Kaweco Al-Sport... or the like??? No personal experience with it, but it would seem an ideal choice. :unsure:

Whatever pen you decide on... I hope it really rings your chimes. Be well... and in the words of the immortal Scoob... rots a ruck. :)

- Anthony

I'd go for the delike alpha over any kaweco - I think it's a better designed pen. Pretty much everything good about the kaweco (there is also a brass and acrylic version - neither of which have the slippery clip issue of the brass one) but they're about a centimeter longer, which permits use of a proper converter.

Also, delike pens can take lots of cool vintage #2 nibs. I have a 14k eversharp manifold nib in mine

Doesn't hurt that the brass and aluminum alphas are both about 5 times cheaper than the kawecos, and the build quality is totally on par.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I recently picked up an aluminium Delike Alpha for about a tenth of the price of a Kaweco Al-Sport. The black coating immediately started flaking clean off, so I recommend going for a raw finish if you pick up one of their metal pens. And as Honeybadgers alluded to, the clip slips off the cap far too easily if you don't glue it down. Mine came with a decent medium nib, and an extra Jinhao EF nib which I didn't really test so I can't vouch for, but I've heard good things about Jinhao nibs.

Hi BMS,

HB would probably know better than me, she has a physical job,... but how about a Kaweco Al-Sport... or the like??? No personal experience with it, but it would seem an ideal choice. :unsure:

Whatever pen you decide on... I hope it really rings your chimes. Be well... and in the words of the immortal Scoob... rots a ruck. :)

- Anthony

Thanks! The Kaweco makes a great pocket pen, Im sure. But it uses the same Bock nib thats in my Karas Kustom. In fact the nib I have in my Karas Kustom is a Bock nib that I bought with a finer than EF grind. Unfortunately, the Pilot still writes a bit better for me.

back pocket, avoid traditional plastic. you'll break the 74 or 823. The moonman wancai mini is a stout little thing. Can be gotten with a very good EF nib and if you want a clip, a modern kaweco clip can be bought for about $5 and it fits tightly onto the little thing.

The pilot elite e95s is a good back pocket pen and can be found with a needle thin extra fine gold nib.

Delike alpha in brass (you'd have to either glue the clip in place or use it without the clip but it's a bomb proof pen) is a great choice too.

If you want a front pocket pen, the custom 74 would do great. the 823 is getting a bit large. Also consider the platinum 3776 or a sailor 1911 or pro gear (the S models are smaller and more pocket friendly)

Thanks for the great info. Most of those pens are new to me, so Ill look into them today and respond with some thoughts.

I just want to ask if youre sure that those plastic pens arent cut out for back pocket carry? Do they have a reputation or history of breaking? I only ask because they seem to be fairly well built to me, and before I carried my Karas Kustom, I had been carrying Pilot G2s and Uniball DX (something or other) without issue and they are just cheap plastic pens.

Thanks again for the helpful info!

Those are some good looking pen options. They are very reasonably priced metal options. But unless I am mistaken, they are western nibs and thus will have the same kind of writing experience as my current Karas Kustom with an EF nib.

The Platinum is interesting too. I have an EF Platinum Preppy that I like writing with a lot. Its a little more readily available in body colors I like than the Pilot Custom 74, which is nice.

I havent seen as much about the Sailors, but Ill continue to look into reviews of them too.

Perhaps the JetPens mini - that looks a lot like a baby Metropolitan: https://www.jetpens.com/JetPens-Mini-Aluminum-Fountain-Pen-Gold-Extra-Fine-Nib/pd/14721#index=1

They used to have it in black and white, but those are no longer made, so I suspect this is a "hurry up and buy it cuz there won't be more" situation.

No idea how its EF nib compares (they ran out of white before I could buy one), but otherwise, the reviews make it sound like a good pen - and it's metal, so back pocket may be OK.

Edited by LizEF

The Platinum is interesting too. I have an EF Platinum Preppy that I like writing with a lot. Its a little more readily available in body colors I like than the Pilot Custom 74, which is nice.

You could pick up a Platinum Plaisir, which uses the same section and nib but in an aluminium body. If you can't find it in EF then you can just transplant the section over from your existing Preppy. It's probably not as robust as some of the other options, but it's not bad and at least you'll be getting a nib you already like.

Honestly....

I think you know what you want, but a second opinion is always helpful.

I'd go with the Pilot Custom 74 and just don't put it in your back pocket. The pen can definitely fit just about anywhere and it's not good to put any pen in your back pocket.

You can get it for a great value buying direct from japan. There are plenty of reputable Japanese sellers (always more risk though for lack of returnability and potential lack of customer service from local Pilot services), or it can be purchased at reputable local dealers and is still worth the higher price for what they sell it here in the U.S. I don't know where you're from.

I don't recommend a pocket pen like the Kaweco Sport. It is a pain to have to post that pen just to use it and I don't think the EF or Fine nibs will be as nice as your Metro Fine nib. I use a Pilot Metro Medium nib and it's one of the best Finer nibs I've ever used. Pilot has great QC and I found their Gold nibs are very nice and that higher quality you're looking for with a great smoothness and softness perfect for those Finer nibs.

You're right on the mark for what pen you need. I just recommend not being reckless and sitting on your fountain pen.

After years of daily abuse of my Kaweco AL Sport, I can attest to it being a really great pocket pen. Writes really well, indestructible and has mojo.

My Kaweco Supra Brass is a better writer due to its much larger nib, but when on a moving train that's not always a benefit. The smallish Bock nibs of the AL Sport are sturdy and very usable when on the move. The Supra has the added benefit that you can remove a middle piece from the pen, which makes it really short and only usable with cartridges. It doesn't get more pocket than this, but it still writes nicely. With the middle piece in place, the pen will hold a full-size Kaweco converter. The Supra just has tons of mojo and writes like a dream.

When considering Kaweco, then don't foget the Dia2. This is a very, very well made pen. High-quality materials, easily serviceable, extremely ergonomic. It's one of the pens out there with almost unbeatable bang for the buck ratio. It's not a pen I'd throw in a bag together with my car keys, though.

Personally my best Kaweco experiences are with EF and F nibs, not so much with M or B nibs. An often heard complaint is dryness; in my experience with multiple pens this is only initial dryness. If you flush the pen thoroughly and start out with a wet and lubricating ink like Sailor Shikiori Yonaga or Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue, then after a month or so the pen will have reached its equilibrium and you can put in any ink you like (except perhaps the really dry ones).

Those are some good looking pen options. They are very reasonably priced metal options. But unless I am mistaken, they are western nibs and thus will have the same kind of writing experience as my current Karas Kustom with an EF nib.

I havent seen as much about the Sailors, but Ill continue to look into reviews of them too.

The delike with an EF nib will be a chinese EF nib. very, very fine. You'll not have problems. They're also easily swapped with the moonman replacement nibs for $2, which are glassy smooth for an EF and will be a true asian EF/F. I am a super fine nib lover myself and have been incredibly happy with them.

The e95s is a perfect razor thin EF nib for what you're interested in. Also quite slight and becomes nice and long when posted

A western EF -should- be on par with a pilot F. Some companies like lamy tend to have a harder time achieving that, but others do not. The travelers pen will need a nib swap but it uses a standard #5 nib, and I highly recommend this replacement which is under two bucks and I have found the five i ordered to be incredibly consistent and high quality (they're also quite soft and bouncy - were they sold as 14k nibs at 14k price, I couldn't tell you that the writing experience didn't match one)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-original-moonman-M2-and-mini-wancai-pen-nib/232983714839?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just don't like the idea of a long plastic pen in a back pocket. Butts are round, pens are straight. You want a short pen in a back pocket. If you're willing to switch to using a front pocket, the custom 74 is just a fantastic writer, I highly, highly recommend the soft fine nib and a pilot CON-70 pump converter.

I don't recommend a pocket pen like the Kaweco Sport. It is a pain to have to post that pen just to use it and I don't think the EF or Fine nibs will be as nice as your Metro Fine nib.

Some people like to post anyway. The Delike is a touch longer than the Sport; I was able to use it unposted reasonably comfortably and I have slightly large hands.

I'd suggest a "sidegrade" to a Prera: same writing experience in the same nib size you like, with a smaller pen; some of the colours are really nice, I had my eye on slate until I finally saw the pen in person and it was dwarfed by my hand.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Take a look at Franklin Christof pens

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I'd suggest a "sidegrade" to a Prera: same writing experience in the same nib size you like, with a smaller pen; some of the colours are really nice, I had my eye on slate until I finally saw the pen in person and it was dwarfed by my hand.

I'd second this Prera suggestion. Prera is a very nice pen, and unless you have huge hands, sits very well in your hands.

The other option I'd suggest is Sailor Young (search for it on google adding "site:j-subcultre.com"—I've never bought on j-subculture, but that is where I find them available, and the seller I got mine from stopped selling brands other than the seller's own). Mine has an F nib, and I happen to have both it and a Metro in F inked up with the same ink right now, and the Sailor writes a thinner line. This might be partially due to the fact that my Sailor Young is a dry writer (I've read reviews to the contrary, so YMMV), but at least the line is definitely not wider.

Custom 74 is also a good suggestion.

If you were to choose among these, I'd say if you have the dough, go for Custom 74. (It has the side benefit of being able to fit the large CON-70 converter, so it will have a bigger capacity.) But either if pocketability is a must (74 is definitely on the larger side) or if you don't want to spend what the 74 goes for, then I'd say the priorities should be: (1) Prera; (2) Sailor. Prera is extremely pocketable, reliable, and writes well. And it's cheap. The benefits to getting a Sailor are (1) a somewhat more formal appearance (although the Prera in a solid color like my dark burgundy one looks pretty decent, too) and (2) getting to know another (well-respected) brand. The downsides to the Sailor (at least the one I own) are: (1) the barrel sometimes unscrews a bit from the section, but that is a minor annoyance; (2) dry writing (again, I read reviews where people didn't have a problem with that, so as my Sailor is on its second fill only, maybe it's because I didn't clean it properly from the get-go).

Below is a picture of my Sailor Young, the Metropolitan, two Preras and Pilot Custom 74 (in order for you to gauge the width of the line, the grid on the paper on the notebook pictured is a smidge under 4 mm). Sorry for the quality of the pic, it's currently night where I am, so I can't get good lighting.

But again, all of these are plastic, so you shouldn't carry them in a pocket where you'd be liable to sit on them.

post-139602-0-38928400-1543430077_thumb.jpg

A couple more things to note.

Re the suggestion about Moonman Wancai Mini, I've seen a picture of it on Reddit that showed it leaking/burping a lot into the cap, and comments from other users suggested it's a common occurrence.

The second thing is that I don't like the golden nib in my Pilot Custom 74. Don't like its softness. I prefer the stainless steel's more firm, purposeful, to-the-point feel. Another gold nib that I've used, in a Sailor Pro Gear Slim, is not so squishy. It might be a matter of personal preference. Just mentioning it, since it seems you've mostly written with steel nibs so far.

[Edit:] Wrote this post and then had an Aha! moment. Why, I could also suggest Sailor Pro Gear Slim. If you are in the price bracket of a Custom 74, Pro Gear Slims can be had for around $115, and one could even score a limited edition on the 'Bay, like the Four Seasons series (Manyou/ Yukitsubaki/Meigetsu/Haruzora). The limited editions will have a MF nib, which I find fine enough (definitely finer than a steel Lamy F). The downside is the screw-down cap, as opposed to a slip cap on Prera and Sailor Young. (Well, it's a downside in terms of EDC-ing it—the speed of deployment. It is an upside in terms of longer non-dry-out times.) If you decide to search for it, pay attention to whether it's a Pro Gear II Slim. The "II" version has a different clip which was probably meant to ape Pelikan, but the efforts to still make it a bit different from Pelikan resulted in a pretty ugly clip.

P. S. These days, Sailors ship without converters, so you'll need to buy a converter separately.

Edited by keybers

Thank you all for the really helpful responses! Today has been a busy day, but Ill start to work through them and respond more appropriately to your suggestions.

Just a quick note on my back pocket carry. Im not sure if its my anatomy or the design of my denim, but when I carry my pen in my back pocket, I am not actually sitting on it. I carry it on the outer edge of my pocket, along side a l notebook in a thick leather cover. I dont recall ever noticing the pen when I sit down. Ive never really been worried about even the plastic Pilot G2s breaking. The greater danger is the pen coming uncapped or the clip getting caught on something.

Anyway, thanks again for being so helpful! I cant wait to look into all your suggestions!