A 149 For A Personal Treat

tompyke

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a few weeks now as I try to educate myself.

I've always admired the Mont Blanc 149, no particular reason, but I just love the look of it. I'm not even a big fan of fountain pens particularly and don't really have any working knowledge in general, but I feel a fountain pen is just a nice touch when writing personal letters. I use one I have had since school at the moment, nothing special, but I do enjoy using a fountain pen.

Anyway, I've been working hard (haven't we all) for a while and figured it would be nice to treat myself to my ultimate writing instrument...

I've found a lot of information, but can worry sometimes, and some bits I can't find answers too (probably searching the wrong terms!). I don't want to make such a purchase without knowing the details (I'm always like that!)

I'd be grateful if anybody could help with the following

1) I don't have an MB boutique near me, or an authorised seller that holds 149's. The nearest is about 200 miles away!! The authorised seller does hold 146's. If I try the nibs on the 146 and like, for example, an F, if I ordered a 149 F, would that be the same size? Or am I best waiting until I can get to an MB boutique, and try 149's there and buy the one I try?

2) Potentially a silly one, but taking it on a plane, and the ink bottle - any issues liquid wise or anything? And how many fills does a bottle do? I think i its about 1.4ml for a full fill and the bottles are 60ml?

3) Current FP is cartridges, is a piston fill easy enough?

4) Would you get an MB pen pouch to protect it when travelling/not being used for a while? Or are there better alternatives.

When I purchase mine, I want to do a 'life of a 149' piece to try and hold in one place some help for buying, and owning one - to give back to the community and help any other newcomers such as myself. There are lots of articles about 'are they worth it' and some specific questions about dating/authenticity etc but I cant find anything that covers the practice elements of owning and using one (Unless my googling is as bad as my FP knowledge).

Thank you to all in advance who take the time to read and respond, any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tompyke

• Ghost Plane

• crescentfiller

• Gloucesterman

Congrats on the decision, I am all in favor of rewarding oneself (just ask my wife). So first off have you ever handled a MB 149? They are substantial, but not overly heavy. I own two and they are very nice, but I actually prefer the 146 size myself, My latest, a sterling silver 146, is a really sweet writer (medium nib). Also the writing experience is different between the 146 and the 149. When considering the nibs, they are graded by the size of line they produce and it is a slightly subjective grade that is made by the grinder I believe, but the standard is the same across all of the pen sizes. As far as ink capacity, the 149 holds a substantial amount of ink. I can write with one of mine for a couple of long weeks without worrying about running dry. Also the Piston fill pen opens up a seemingly endless series of choices around which color and then which shade of the color is what you want, it can become it's own obsession. Filling one is relatively easy, just have a bit of tissue handy to wipe the section. As to the last question, the MB leather is nice and if you are going all in on a 149, why not finish the splurge, yes there are others that are nice, but it is up to you. The MB leather is pretty good! Again enjoy, you deserve it!

Edited by oldrifleman

my 2 cents... find one local and second hand... test it out. they are very well crafted and reliable. Why pay a super premium buying it new at a boutique. I currently have 8 of them for no particular reason other than they each came my way for under $175 USD or less over the past 8 years. As for the pen itself, its awesome... I have 40+ mont blancs and some awesome pelikans, montegrappa, etc and I always come back to the 149....

+1 on what Kinglarge said. If you are careful, you can get one that's like new for a fraction of the full retail price--and it will perform just as well or better! However, I think decent used 149s are more likely to be found in the $300-$500 range.

They are very easy to fill and hold a ton of ink.

I'd buy a non-MB case/pouch for it.

Good luck!

I don't own one so take my comment with a bit of salt.

My advice would be to test out a "pre-owned/other owned" one. Based on my experience, a well cared for pen will feel and write very similar to a new one. Therefore, although your experience may differ, it could save you much money. After testing and purchasing a pre-owned one you are free to buy a new one or consider owning (investing in) multiple versions of this pen.

Finally, bear in mind that a MB Boutique will charge FULL RETAIL while an authorized dealer may offer an attractive bundle including the case and ink - or such. It is my understanding that dealers are not SUPPOSED to discount this brand although some do.

Please keep us informed as to your progress in your search (research) and acquisition.

my 2 cents... find one local and second hand... test it out. they are very well crafted and reliable. Why pay a super premium buying it new at a boutique. I currently have 8 of them for no particular reason other than they each came my way for under $175 USD or less over the past 8 years. As for the pen itself, its awesome... I have 40+ mont blancs and some awesome pelikans, montegrappa, etc and I always come back to the 149....

Edited by Gloucesterman

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Chatterley Luxuries run by Bryant gets the most awesome consignment pens, stands behind them & ships internationally. He’s even sorted nib swaps for me on pens so new they were still under warranty.

These are sturdy users and you’ll get half a century or more out of one if you rinse it out occasionally, avoids sparkle inks, and keep the thing in a decent case. Heck, I know one that survived a Florida summer in the console of a doctor’s car where he forgot it after a conference trip, tho’ I don’t recommend it and he had to rinse the dickens out of it to get the dried ink out.

Yes, they’re fine on planes. Piston fillers are dead easy & hold a bomb of ink. There are plenty of good cases out there that’ll hold big pens. Mine live in old Delta cases from before that company went under.

The hard part is deciding what nib size you want. I’m fond of O3B and BB for daily writers, so have a look at the pictures and see what suits you.

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a few weeks now as I try to educate myself.

I've always admired the Mont Blanc 149, no particular reason, but I just love the look of it. I'm not even a big fan of fountain pens particularly and don't really have any working knowledge in general, but I feel a fountain pen is just a nice touch when writing personal letters. I use one I have had since school at the moment, nothing special, but I do enjoy using a fountain pen.

Anyway, I've been working hard (haven't we all) for a while and figured it would be nice to treat myself to my ultimate writing instrument...

I've found a lot of information, but can worry sometimes, and some bits I can't find answers too (probably searching the wrong terms!). I don't want to make such a purchase without knowing the details (I'm always like that!)

I'd be grateful if anybody could help with the following

1) I don't have an MB boutique near me, or an authorised seller that holds 149's. The nearest is about 200 miles away!! The authorised seller does hold 146's. If I try the nibs on the 146 and like, for example, an F, if I ordered a 149 F, would that be the same size? Or am I best waiting until I can get to an MB boutique, and try 149's there and buy the one I try?

2) Potentially a silly one, but taking it on a plane, and the ink bottle - any issues liquid wise or anything? And how many fills does a bottle do? I think i its about 1.4ml for a full fill and the bottles are 60ml?

3) Current FP is cartridges, is a piston fill easy enough?

4) Would you get an MB pen pouch to protect it when travelling/not being used for a while? Or are there better alternatives.

When I purchase mine, I want to do a 'life of a 149' piece to try and hold in one place some help for buying, and owning one - to give back to the community and help any other newcomers such as myself. There are lots of articles about 'are they worth it' and some specific questions about dating/authenticity etc but I cant find anything that covers the practice elements of owning and using one (Unless my googling is as bad as my FP knowledge).

Thank you to all in advance who take the time to read and respond, any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

1) All montblanc nibs are finished by hand... and while its great, it also means some variation. Sometimes you may get a broad medium, or a fine thats too fine.... but in theory, they should more or less be the same (Fine on a 146 or a 149)

2) yes, full fill is around ~1.5 ml (depending on period or model if you consider the special editions 146 or 149).

Divide the number per full bottle capacity (different bottles have diff capacities). But a bottle is plenty of writing!

3) Easy and simple to fill. Put the nib in ink, retract the nib and voilah!

Cleaning is sucking and expulsing water until it runs clean and clear. Can be a bother.

4) I use Visconti's leather pouches. Zippered and individual for multiple pens. They fit pretty much any MB (from a homer to a 1912)

5) a properly cared for 149 can last decades and decades. I have one that was made and bought in the early 70s. It was my godfather's and he used it for decades, i have used it for the last ~3.5 years.

6) Nib sizing can be the real mystery!! I started (like many) with a Fine nib, now i dont do anything other than OB.

Dont let the oblique myths turn you away. Try all nibs (if possible) to decide.

Welcome to the Montblanc forum, tompyke,

You have made a wise decision. There really is nothing quite like the 149 for performance, comfort, reliability, and understated beauty. I have owned many over the years and have been pleased with models from every generation of production. Hope you will thoroughly enjoy yours when you get it.

You have received very good advice here from the previous posters. I also recommend buying a used one from a reliable dealer. You will spend half or less the cost of a new one, and it will perform forever if treated well. Though you are far from a MB boutique, try to test drive one or more before you take the plunge. Perhaps post something here or on social media looking for 149 fans in your general vicinity.

Good luck with your hunt. Please let us know how things turn out.

Best wishes,

Barry

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful!

Interesting that quite a few recommend a second hand one. I will have a look to see what is local to me where I might be able to try one. Although I must admit, I do love brand new, part of the experience of going into the shop, trying something and getting it knowing its pure. But I'm not silly enough to ignore many of you, so will see what I can find.

Now I just need to find somewhere I can go and give them all a whirl, very excited about it, although I'm not going to rush it

Hi- I'm guessing you are English, I notice some of the other replies assumed you to be American.Anyway this is from a UK perspective.

If you go into a Montblanc Boutique the tray of test pens are all 146 le grand pens.From left it would be EF (extra fine) F (fine) M (medium) - and so on.I think there are eight nibs.These are the same as the 149, which is a very similar pen only fatter.

The only pens they will have in stock will be F(fine) and M(medium), and will suggest that after purchase you send the pen off for a nib change- if you require a different size.

Many of the MB pens such as writers editions, only come in `F or M anyway.Most pens will be an M and you may have no choice.I wanted an EF 149, but also wanted to try it before purchase so went to a boutique in Birmingham UK.Tested the EF 146.

Rather than make the purchase and send it back to Hamburg I bought it off the Mont Blanc website, and hopefully it is on it's way.They put your name on the cap in gold lettering if you want that-it's free.My pen was £675 (rose gold).Black Friday had a £50 off voucher that I missed because I wanted to try the nib, thinking that I could purchase same instore; which I couldn't.

Annoyingly they have just discontinued a 147 traveller , a cross between the two in size that takes cartridges but looks like a filler.That used to some in it's own travelling case.

As you rightly say the 149 diplomat is the number one iconic pen in the world.There aren't too many other products in this category, the Rolex Submariner possibly? The phycology of the purchase (apart from collecting) is that it is reward to self for something that you have done.There is actually no logical or rational justification for such a purchase, but most people who scoff usually have some area of their own life where they are far more bonkers but they think of as normal.The average MB owner usually has to the self perception to realise the inherent contradiction.

Just logged into FP to say this..

I was on the "Montblanc is overpriced/better pens out there" bandwagon. Then I actually went out and bought one and boy have I never had such a consistent writing experience. My first MB was a special edition "Johannes Brahms" in Fine. That began the obsession. Since I didn't truely own a Standard Meisterstruck the next buy was to go for the 149. This was going to be my "own pen" meaning that it was going to be my workhorse. What I noticed was that of all my other pens(Pilot, Omas, Visconti, Parker)...the 149 was just TOO big. I have big hands but I guess you need really big hands for it not to look comical while writing. The 146 is what I settled on since it is a bit smaller and there is no difference in quality.

So my 146 was my official first classic MB, but because of the nib I choose....and if you have any doubts, be sure to take advantage of the nib exchange program. Choose one you think might be a bit broader or finer, write with it for about a week or two...and if you need to swap it out, just call their warranty service so you can swap it. I started out with a Medium and moved to an Oblique Medium because I wanted a slight line variation. The max wait time for me was 8 weeks to get my pen back(USA to Germany for non standard nibs), but it was worth it. Now I have something that fits my unique writing style.

For anything else, I've really taken a keen liking to their limited edition inks(standard ones too). Yeah they are a bit pricier but I kinda feel like there is at least one ink in the standard line that will become a go to color--mine is MB Irish Green. To be honest, I've collected all of the Iroshziuku colors from Pilot and the Pelikan Edelstien inks....but have noticed that there is always one or two of their inks that doesn't really work well or has some weird color variation problem. All of the MB inks I have are solid and I've found that I have yet to run into a duplicate color.

-Cheers and enjoy whatever pen you decide on!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually now had a go of one, and just fell in love. Its a beautiful piece of art.

Anybody know which cases actually fit the 149?

The website only mentions the Classique and the Le Grand, no mention of 149. I've called a couple of authorised sellers who just repeat the website which is not helpful.

I fancy the Soft Grain 1 Pen Pouch - anybody know if it will hold a 149?

Chatterley Luxuries run by Bryant gets the most awesome consignment pens, stands behind them & ships internationally. He’s even sorted nib swaps for me on pens so new they were still under warranty.

These are sturdy users and you’ll get half a century or more out of one if you rinse it out occasionally, avoids sparkle inks, and keep the thing in a decent case. Heck, I know one that survived a Florida summer in the console of a doctor’s car where he forgot it after a conference trip, tho’ I don’t recommend it and he had to rinse the dickens out of it to get the dried ink out.

Yes, they’re fine on planes. Piston fillers are dead easy & hold a bomb of ink. There are plenty of good cases out there that’ll hold big pens. Mine live in old Delta cases from before that company went under.

The hard part is deciding what nib size you want. I’m fond of O3B and BB for daily writers, so have a look at the pictures and see what suits you.

Take heed of this advice.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on your hunt for a 149? I have found that, although there is no Montblanc boutique near me, certain jewelry stores to carried 149s. If you have yet to buy one, call some of your local nicer jewelry stores to see if they sell them.