Montblack Capless Rollerball Refill?

tisquinn

Hi all,

I have two questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

First, can anyone say whether Montblanc's capless rollerball refill has the same writing feel as the regular rollerball?

And second, does anyone know whether the refill itself has the same dimensions as either of the other two rollerball refills (classique or legrande)?

I ask because my LeGrande is probably my favorite non-fountain pen; the refill, while overpriced, is probably as good as it gets for me, and I've tried a bunch of liquid ink refills. But I'd love to find a way to have a montblanc refill in a click pen, so I am thinking that if I can find a body such that, with a little trimming or extra material, I can get the capless rollerball to fit the pen, I'd be in business! I know it's not too hard to get the normall rollerball refill to a g2 refill size, but I figure that if I used the regular refill in a click pen, it would dry out!

Thanks all!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• tisquinn

• adim

• Pen Nut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I haven't tested myself, I don't see why the feel would be different for the capless refill.

Secondly, unfortunately, the refill will not fit any other pen. As far as I know, there are 3 dimensions for the rollerball refills: "normal", Le Grand and capless. They are not interchangeable.

I myself have a Brahms rollerball, which uses the normal refills (not Le Grand, not Classique) and the only other refill that can be used is the fineliner one. This was a conscious decision from me: although I like girthier pens like the Le Grand (I have the Le Grand ballpoint --- but the refills are not special there), I much rather prefer having more options for the refill: normal rollerball refills + fineliner.

I love the feel of the fineliner refills, by the way, much smoother and springier than the rollerball ones and they write with lesser pressure and get a bit of line variation, so definitely a favourite for me!

Again, sadly, the fineliner refills do not fit neither Le Grand pens, nor capless.

Thanks! I suspect it would feel different on account of the ink needing to be formulated differently to resist drying out. Do you know, though, if the width is the same as the normal, as then it can be trimmed or glued to fit another body.

And on fineliners, happily there is a legrand refill! It's just sadly only in blue and black :( https://www.amazon.com/montblanc-Legrand-Pacific-Mystery-Fineliner/dp/B01FUKR714

Again, sadly, the fineliner refills do not fit neither Le Grand pens, nor capless.

Actually, MB does sell a specific Fineliner refill for Legrand pens (blue or black). It is my favourite one.

And on fineliners, happily there is a legrand refill! It's just sadly only in blue and black :( https://www.amazon.com/montblanc-Legrand-Pacific-Mystery-Fineliner/dp/B01FUKR714

The width of the capless refills looks biggest from the whole line. I haven't used one, again, but it looks the widest in "barrel".

And yes, I know that there are Le Grand refills for fineliners, but as you and @A1979 mention, the lack of diveesity in colours is unfortunate.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have two questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

First, can anyone say whether Montblanc's capless rollerball refill has the same writing feel as the regular rollerball?

And second, does anyone know whether the refill itself has the same dimensions as either of the other two rollerball refills (classique or legrande)?

I ask because my LeGrande is probably my favorite non-fountain pen; the refill, while overpriced, is probably as good as it gets for me, and I've tried a bunch of liquid ink refills. But I'd love to find a way to have a montblanc refill in a click pen, so I am thinking that if I can find a body such that, with a little trimming or extra material, I can get the capless rollerball to fit the pen, I'd be in business! I know it's not too hard to get the normall rollerball refill to a g2 refill size, but I figure that if I used the regular refill in a click pen, it would dry out!

Thanks all!

This may be of interest. I use the Pentel LR7 refill in my 162 and have done for a good while now.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/342098-my-two-favourite-non-fpswaterman-edson-mb-162/

Edited by Pen Nut

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 3 weeks later...

The capless refill writes better than either of the other MB rollerball refills, in my opinion. I have the Classique rollerball, the LeGrand rollerball and the Heritage 1912 capless rollerball. The Heritage 1912 isn’t a click pen, but it is capless (it rotates), making it my everyday pocket pen, since I can pick it up, easily rotate it in my hand to expose the nib, and sign a credit card slip with one hand if needed.

For me the Heritage 1912 is a bit too small to write letters, etc., so I’ve been hoping for more models employing this superb refill. So far, it’s just the Heritage 1912, the M series (an ergonomic nightmare for me) and the Homer.

Current favorite pen: Montblanc 144 Meisterstuck purchased at Art Brown in 1984. After decades, every part has been replaced except the nib. Still a gorgeous writing instrument, rock-solid reliable, gives me hours of pleasure to use.

Current favorite ink: Colorverse Supernovs

Current favorite paper: Romeo notepads

The capless refill writes better than either of the other MB rollerball refills, in my opinion. I have the Classique rollerball, the LeGrand rollerball and the Heritage 1912 capless rollerball. The Heritage 1912 isn’t a click pen, but it is capless (it rotates), making it my everyday pocket pen, since I can pick it up, easily rotate it in my hand to expose the nib, and sign a credit card slip with one hand if needed.

For me the Heritage 1912 is a bit too small to write letters, etc., so I’ve been hoping for more models employing this superb refill. So far, it’s just the Heritage 1912, the M series (an ergonomic nightmare for me) and the Homer.

I too have a 1912 RB for this reason, it fits neatly in a jacket or shirt pocket and can be withdrawn and opened in a single one handed movement. The refills are more consistent too than I remember by LeGrande RB being.

• 1 year later...

I am hoping that Montblanc will make the same capless refill even in the other formats. Or an undeletable one, for example. I hate the fact they are not waterproof.

The Montblanc Homer Rollerball is capless... Maybe you can find something on that side.

If my memory is correct, Montblanc only issued two capless rollerball: Homer and 1912 Heritage. Capless refill wont be able to exchange with other rollerballs, it is $11 to try:

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/refills/writing-accessories/124496-1-rollerball-capless-system-refill-m-royal-blue.html

• 2 years later...

Old thread revival for future generations.

I use the Schmidt P8126 or P8127 as refills for the capless. They have many colors available.

There are other manufacturers as well making the same type of capless refills.

56_capless.jpg

19 hours ago, agentdaffy007 said:

Old thread revival for future generations.

I use the Schmidt P8126 or P8127 as refills for the capless. They have many colors available.

There are other manufacturers as well making the same type of capless refills.

56_capless.jpg

Same here, I use the P8126 refill in my Montblanc M. Much, much better than the original one. 

65E0AB23-B6EA-4B6A-9C28-9F71872E6F95.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Does anyone tried the ballpoint refill in a heritage 1912 Capless? I really wanted to get one because I like de overall design but only if i can somehow fit a ballpoint. Idont like rollerball refills