Penbbs 267 Longtail Mod To Standard Size

Captspiff

I took a look on the forum to see if anyone had done this but didn't find anything sorry in advance if someone already did this and I couldn't find it. In any case I have been looking for a cheap clear eye dropper to take to work. I couldn't find one with a good wet nib that I liked until I found the Penbbs 267 Longtail, however it was just too long. So I finally had the time this long weekend to hack off the end. With a little bit of work I got a pretty good looking full sized clear eyedropper pen. I posted this in case someone else is on the fence to do this and is hesitant. It turned out great for me.

Pen in Photos.

1. The Longest Green Clear Pen - Franklin Christoph 66 Antique Ice

2. Middle Length Pen - Penbbs 267 Long Tail Clear Green Modded

3. Shortest White/Clear Pen - Franklin Christoph 45L IPO Ice

post-144376-0-02495100-1543097387_thumb.jpeg

post-144376-0-75629800-1543097396_thumb.jpeg

post-144376-0-84470600-1543097409_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captspiff

• dsolmei

• Mech-for-i

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks great. What did you use for the cut and polish job?

I used a dremel to cut the tip off and then hand sanded with sandpaper and micro mesh from 800-12000. It took like 20 min or less.

Have you not looked at Moonman 2 where you can (apparently) exchange the nib for a #5 Jowo?

I have a Moonman M2 the stock nib was to toothy for me. I did swap mine for a FC Jowo nib. Overall a nice pen, I just wanted more options and I really like the green on the Penbbs. (see photo of them side by side)

why not just get a model 323 instead .. no need to go for the extra effort

I don't like the shape of the model 323 but that is just me and I wanted to know I could do it. :)

post-144376-0-27490600-1543116515_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Happy to stumble on this... I will be trying this myself on the niangao version that looks like grey marble. Main concern is where to cut, but I hope shining a light through the resin will help.

Question: Is the cut off pen able to post? I am hoping that this will be a side benefit of a cut off 267.

I have to admit that, "But why?" was my initial reaction to this thread weeks ago. But coming back and looking at the pen from time to time, I've sort of warmed to the idea.

First, it's different. I love different. At this point, it may still be even unique.

Second, it's interesting. I didn't think I'd like the 267 until I got the glow-in-the-dark one (solely because it was different), but it turns out I love the feel of it. I'm pretty sure that nearly all of that is because of the tail's counterbalance as I write, keeping the pen steadier and straighter ... but it'd be interesting to contrast that to a pen with the exact same grip but (almost certainly) worse balance.

Third, it's cheap. A lot of dealers on eBay and AliExpress get tired of having the 267 in their inventory and dump them for less than $10 shipped. There was a translucent red Strawberry 267 the other week that I wish I'd snatched up now, just to torture.

Thanks for your very interesting post, catspiff.

RoSpectre, the Niangao will show the end of the reservoir with a light shined through it. Depending on the opacity of your particular pen, it may need to be a bright torch, but should work for marking your cut.

I did the same thing! I have a 267, I used the dremel and smoothed it out with a fine Arkansas stone. I usually don't post my pens unless the post deep and secure. Making the cut allows me to do that and it looks much better.