The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

First Estie

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:59

After a long line of buying, using, and selling my Parker Vacs (and keeping one good one), I've decided to go somewhere a little less pricey. Esties fit that bill (and the prospect of the nibs) and drew me in. I bought my first Estie on Etsy, a Grey Icicle (I prefer these semi-transparent ones to the marbled plastics). I loved the looks and the ergonomics. It was very light, and fit my average-sized hands well. The only complaint I have is that the Icicle plastic seems to stain badly around the threads, and I thought Waterman Blue-Black was the safest ink a pen could use. Oh well, some things are worth getting used to. The 1554 nib it came with was subpar (the folded tipping was all worn off) and I ground off the little burr remaining and made it an italic. The seller had also included a 1550 nib, which was NOS but quite scratchy. I smoothed it out, to make a nice, smooth, and wet medium writer. I purchased a 9550 posting nib off eBay, but that particular listing was selling nibs of questionable origin, in 9550 boxes. The seller has 30-day free returns, so I'll test it out first. 

The pen is very light, looks handsome, and posts very securely. I like the lever filler, its usage is simple and repairs are easy. The ability to quickly swap nib units is awesome, I find myself switching nibs to write with when I refill inks. 

What I must praise is the looks, though. It is unassuming, durable (scratches don't show up), and very interesting to use. The Icicle series, as far as I can tell, have stripes running vertically along the pen that are made of translucent plastic. When you hold up the pen to a light, you can see the whole pen glow like a fiber optic wire, although not excessively. Very interesting. Also, PERFECT for day-to-day school use, which is apparently what these pens were marketed to. I like it very much. Just waiting for a new nib to complete the experience now.

And here we go down another money-sucking hole... I'll have to shovel a lot more driveways this year... :lol:

Sponsored Content

#2 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 15:06

I have found that the smoothest writing nib is the 2668 or 9668. For something a bit finer but still smooth go for a 2556 or 9556.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#3 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 16:12

I have found that the smoothest writing nib is the 2668 or 9668. For something a bit finer but still smooth go for a 2556 or 9556.

I think, when you write with school paper all day, scratchiness is a given among all nibs. I just need a needlepoint.

#4 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 16:39

Then I would suggest you consider a 9314-F.

Robert Frost

#5 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 21:13

Then I would suggest you consider a 9314-F.

The 9314-F is a fine stub.

#6 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 21:38

Yes, but it is as fine as a 9556 and it is smooth.

Robert Frost

#7 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:31

Yes, but it is as fine as a 9556 and it is smooth.

Ooh, I love me a smooth relief stub, however, I ground myself a Hebrew/flipped XXXF out of the 1550 nib today. I also managed to plier/cut the 1554 nib until it behaved like a broad, before grinding it to a right foot oblique stub. Both write beautifully, with expression. I'm rather happy with the 1550 nib, I've never done a combo nib until today before.

#8 bass1193

bass1193

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:37

Ooh, I love me a smooth relief stub, however, I ground myself a Hebrew/flipped XXXF out of the 1550 nib today. I also managed to plier/cut the 1554 nib until it behaved like a broad, before grinding it to a right foot oblique stub. Both write beautifully, with expression. I'm rather happy with the 1550 nib, I've never done a combo nib until today before.

Fantastic! Grinding nibs to one's taste is the most satisfying thing ever. Very well done, indeed! :D

#9 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,944 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:18

These aren't as money sucking as most other choices, unless you take the hook deep.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

|