Nibmeister Backlog

EDR1633

Seems like just about everyone is several months behind and not accepting new work. I've found a couple folks... nibgrinder.com and indy-pen-dance.com, that appear to still have reasonable turn-around time. I intent to get some work done on a couple M800's and a Sailor Pro Gear to get the tipping adjusted in size up or down, depending on the pen. Can anyone vouch for the work done?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• GardenWeasel

• Driften

• EDR1633

Ive never used nibgrinder, and I can say Indy-Pen-Dance did an outstanding job on my Pelikan. Ive no hesitation recommending Indy-Pen-Dance.

Edited to say its no reflection on nibgrinder! Ive just never had the opportunity to use them!

Edited by GardenWeasel

Indy-Pen-Dance was trained by Richard Binder and I would have no worries sending them one of my pens. That said I have only used nibsmith.com and his turnaround times can be a bit long and he does not communicate well when he is over the estimate.

Seems like just about everyone is several months behind and not accepting new work. I've found a couple folks... nibgrinder.com and indy-pen-dance.com, that appear to still have reasonable turn-around time. I intent to get some work done on a couple M800's and a Sailor Pro Gear to get the tipping adjusted in size up or down, depending on the pen. Can anyone vouch for the work done?

How does one adjust up one size? (Assuming up means broader)

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

EDR:

I have had good experiences with Mark Bacas (nibgrinder.com). I have not used Indy-Pen-Dance yet.

FarmBoy:

I can't imagine any simple way of making a tip broader as opposed to narrower. Possibly a stub grind would offer wider vertical lines (and narrower horizontals) than the original round tip, but that probably isn't what EDR had in mind. The only alternative seems to be welding on a wider tip. I don't think Mark offers that service, not sure about Indy.

If one stubs or CI's a nib, it might appear wider if one is using harder, slicker paper....where the nib sits more on the paper instead o fin a softer paper...(At least there will be line variation.)

How ever when I had a OB nail (absolutely no line variation) made CI, I expected the nib to be a tad narrower, more a M-B...and more than likely got it.....

.....I wasn't going to split hairs, and worry about exact measurements. I did get line variation, something I was missing completely with the OB nail.

Anyone any good is going to have a backlog...........the trick is to have a few pens so one won't miss it too much while waiting.

What nibs to you have in what width and flex?

Any Stubs or CI?

In one chases the nib......what nibs are you missing, to hunt for, while you wait? There is some 35-45 different nibs to hunt for. ;)

Like having a book in a line, hunting for another missing nib, makes line time disappear.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have only used Mike Masuyama (Mikeitwork) who is an amazing nibmeister. IMO he is worth the wait.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Pendleton Brown has modified 5 to 8 nibs for me, all to cursive italic. They are wonderful. He has also realigned several vintage nibs. Again, utter satisfaction. His turn around has always been reasonable. He too was trained by Richard Binder.

Greg Minuskin has done some very good work for me - frequently abetting my absurd projects. He’s expensive, but he turns pens around very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite way to get a pen ground is at a pen show, instant gratification! Love Mike-it-Work's results. Mike Masuyama.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 weeks later...

Indy-Pen-Dance does great work. I can enthusiastically recommend nib work done by Linda Kennedy of I-P-D. She has ground Montblanc and Sailor nibs for me, doing a great job on both. My grinds were done at pen shows while I waited.