The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

"esterbrook #9550 Firm Ef Nib, In Original Box"-- Authentic Or Fake?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 bass1193

bass1193

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 15:07

True, but who would go to the trouble and expense of making counterfeits of this particular nib? The market is quite small, I would think.

That is baffling, isn't it. Especially considering the feed looks perfectly proper.

Sponsored Content

#22 surprise123

surprise123

Grandpa's Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2018 - 16:16

I agree with corgicoupe. There is no market for fake, NOS Estie nibs. I messaged the seller, it seems that the nib I bought comes in a larger box of 12. The larger box reads "Master Series Renew Point for Esterbrook Fountain Pens".

A third party company making Esterbrook nibs? Wrong imprinting? Who knows?

#23 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:41

Another speculation ... I once had a small, cheaply-made "golf pen" (or "vest pocket") with a tiny nib only marked "Esterbrook". And the Company was known to have made nibs for others "in the trade".

Maybe this is a nib that Esty made for some other low-budget penmaker, that somehow got into the wrong bin and was fitted with the screw-in collar by mistake?

Just a speculation.  :P

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#24 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 14:42

As the OP and I spoke on the phone the other day, this was an actual nib made to fit Esterbrook. Probably manufactured by Linton.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#25 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2018 - 22:38

As the OP and I spoke on the phone the other day, this was an actual nib made to fit Esterbrook. Probably manufactured by Linton.

Hmmmmmm!  I messaged the seller and asked her to look into the boxes and see if there were others, and she responded that of the "many" she opened up, only ONE was stamped "Esterbrook". 

Did Linton make nibs for Esterbrook?

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#26 bass1193

bass1193

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:20

The fact that they're contained in proper Esterbrook boxes, with proper feeds, etc. would indicate a business relationship. Maybe it would help if Brian could expound on that relationship. Maybe Linton made the nibs and everything else came from Esterbrook, for a certain market?

#27 RedRinger

RedRinger

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 15:48

There is an interesting discussion from a while back with photos, including one of the "Alloy Tipped" nibs in question:

http://www.fountainp...k-renew-points/

Here's another thread mentioning some of the counterfeits out there... 

http://www.fountainp...feit-nib/page-2

But... drum roll please... presenting my favorite-named knockoff ever, "MISTERLOOK!" I saw this on the ebay for sale a while back, box only, and I nearly bought it because I couldn't stop laughing so hard. I hope you'll all enjoy it as much as I did.

(photos of actual pens here: http://www.fountainp...rm-of-flatery/)

fpn_1543333026__misterlook.jpg

#28 bass1193

bass1193

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2018 - 15:55

There is an interesting discussion from a while back with photos, including one of the "Alloy Tipped" nibs in question:

http://www.fountainp...k-renew-points/

Here's another thread mentioning some of the counterfeits out there... 

http://www.fountainp...feit-nib/page-2

But... drum roll please... presenting my favorite-named knockoff ever, "MISTERLOOK!" I saw this on the ebay for sale a while back, box only, and I nearly bought it because I couldn't stop laughing so hard. I hope you'll all enjoy it as much as I did.

(photos of actual pens here: http://www.fountainp...rm-of-flatery/)

Wow, that's a whole lot of info! Thank you for posting all these links! And Misterlook has me laughing! :D

#29 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 21:03

I agree with corgicoupe. There is no market for fake, NOS Estie nibs. I messaged the seller, it seems that the nib I bought comes in a larger box of 12. The larger box reads "Master Series Renew Point for Esterbrook Fountain Pens".

There were quite a lot of third-party spare parts for American pens back in the day. Small-time penmakers would order parts and assemble themselves.

#30 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:48

There were also nibs (and pens) made by Venus that were interchangeable with Esterbrook.

#31 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 17:20

Reminds me of an old figure of speech, "measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe".

#32 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 17:25

Wow, that's a whole lot of info! Thank you for posting all these links! And Misterlook has me laughing! :D

I will need to shoot some pics of mine. I have the full set...in lavender.

Sponsored Content

|