"esterbrook #9550 Firm Ef Nib, In Original Box"-- Authentic Or Fake?

mx-fan

Because I wanted to acquire a vintage Esterbrook J or transitional fountain pen (which would be my first old, used Esterbrook), I bought at eBay, in anticipation of very soon receiving the actual Esterbrook fountain pen, what was advertised as an "Esterbrook #9550 Firm Extra-Fine Renew-Point - Nib in Original Box". [My Esterbrook transitional fountain pen will be delivered to me soon.]

Today the mailman brought me the Esterbrook nib unit but I wonder if it's an authentic one or a knock-off fake made somewhere outside of the US. While the eBay ad photos do show the top side of the nib, I perhaps didn't notice something probably important in this matter. You see, the top side of the nib only has on it "Alloy Tipped Ex-Fine U.S.A."-- there's NO "Esterbrook" on the nib--> see below photo of it. I believe that real Esterbrook nibs for the J pens - and maybe/probably for the transitional pen too -- are #6 sized nibs. This nib I got today is smaller than the other non-Esterbrook #6 nibs I have-- it looks to be between a #5 and a #6 nib and it's rather narrow. The green plastic housing (which holds the nib and feed) looks as if it had been made an hour ago and the box also made maybe 2 hours ago: the box doesn't look like a box that had been sitting in a large box or drawer from some long closed pen shop and the box I have is made of quite thin, lightweight cardboard. [The very small nib-feed box looks exactly like other real, authentic Esterbrook boxes I've seen at eBay with these others looking a bit worn from being in and knocked about in a larger box or drawer somewhere for many, many years.]

Overall, the entire nib-feed unit seems small, diminutive-- though I've never held a real vintage Esterbrook J pen, this nib-feed unit looks so tiny -- so narrow, so short -- to me.

Remember: I've never owned nor held anywhere a real, authentic Esterbrook J or transitional fountain pen so I don't know if I'm correct or wrong about all this nib unit and box.

The seller's ad read:

VINTAGE ESTERBROOK #9550
FIRM EXTRA FINE
RENEW-POINT
NIB IN ORIGINAL BOX
New in box
Master Duracrome renew point

The entire length of the nib unit, from tipping to barrel-end of the green plastic unit, is just 33 mm (or 1 5/16 inch). Knowing that real Esterbrook nibs are stainless steel, I put the nib next to a strong magnet but the nib wasn't pulled to the magnet so I figure this must mean the nib is real stainless steel.

Do you think, suspect or know that the "Esterbrook" nib-feed unit I got today is a real, authentic one or is it a fake made outside of the US?

Also, do you know if anyone in the world is known to be making these to look like and behave in the same way as vintage, real NOS Esterbrook nib-feed units?

I'm able to return the nib-feed unit. Fortunately, I'm given 30 days to do that.

Photos of this maybe or surely odd-looking "Esterbrook"/Esterbrook box and nib-feed unit--> Click on each photo to make it larger (or see the attachments if they're large enough):

https://postimg.cc/fpngallery/1q78yuq1e/

post-123131-0-32571300-1542834783.jpg

post-123131-0-00190000-1542834798.jpg

Edited by mx-fan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Without music life would be a mistake.

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844-1900; German philosopher, poet, composer and classical philologist)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• Bo Bo Olson

• mx-fan

• woleizihan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be best to post it in the Esterbrook section....My Esterbrooks all had Esterbrook on it.

I don't remember much about the Esterbrook nibs made in England....but would imagine they too would be brand marked.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Return it

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If it really were an Esterbrook nib it would have 9550 stamped/engraved on it. Anderson Pens is a good resource for actual Esterbrook nibs.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

when were these fakes made? why would someone counterfeit an estie nib unit?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)