Nib Suggestion For My Plastic Kaweco Sport?

simko

Greetings everyone! I find that my kaweco sport fine nib is too fine, i was hoping for a medium, or something a bit broader, maybe even an architect style!

any suggestions as to some decent nibs that i can place in this pen?

thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bass1193

• txomsy

• Ted A

• simko

Many modern number five nibs should work. I tried a vintage Bock gold nib once that was too thin, but some tape made that work. I haven't yet tried an old Waterman number two yet, but I have used mine in similarly sized pens. Time to experiment 🤔

Many modern number five nibs should work. I tried a vintage Bock gold nib once that was too thin, but some tape made that work. I haven't yet tried an old Waterman number two yet, but I have used mine in similarly sized pens. Time to experiment

I would love to replace the nib in my Sport with something better. Is there any specific number five nib that you have found to be compatible? I have one pen with a number 5 nib, and that nib is much larger than the nib on my Sport.

If you have a bit of change to spend, look into the new number 5 titanium units from Bock. You can pull the nib and feed from that and it should fit in your plastic Sport. I haven't tried this yet myself, but it's something I've been meaning to do to try out these apparently amazing titanium nibs.

Kaweco has recently switched from Bock to Jowo nibs, the grapevine says. Some nibs fit better with Jowo or Bock feeds, and there's no certain way that I've heard to determine which you have. And on top of this, it's entirely possible that the feed is still the same despite the change in nib manufacturer. The data are sparse at the moment.

So, time to experiment! If not many people respond to this thread, I'd recommend for sure going through the archives via Google to see where other threads on this topic have led. And, Chinese pen enthusiast that I am, you may consider trawling eVilbay for nibs sold to fit the Jinhao 992. They're cheap and you can play with customizing them yourself, which is great fun! Or you can buy a whole Jinhao 992 for a pittance and get a nib that's actually made by Jinhao, and nibs are their strong suit.

• 2 months later...

I'm writing mostly out of memory (partly too)....

I quite distinctly remember having read that the #5 nibs from Noodler's ink pens (mainly the Nib Creaper) do fit in the section/feed of the Kaweco sports. Haven't tried it, as I only have one Nib Creaper which I 'Ease-my-fex'-modified and I am happily using now. I can't remember where did I see it.

What I can say (though I don't remember where I saw it either) is that the 5.5 nibs from FPR are a tad too wide and will need some massaging with pliers to fit. This I can attest: I also modified a FPR 5.5 nib with the ease-my-flex and when I tried to fit it in a Kaweco Sport feed+section, it would hardly fit. Forcing it it would, but then the tines would separate due to the pressure (nor did I thin it was good to have the section under that tension). So I took some pliers and tried to "correct" the curvature of the nib. It mostly worked, I alsmot had it perfect, but then I tried to "correct" it a bit more to get it perfect and overstepped, and the tines separated, and then I had to return the tines to an appropriate position, but then they would rise and lose contact with the feeder giving me ink feeding problems... In summary: it is doable, I almost got it right, but it is also very easy to overdo it and start a never ending lane of adjustments. If you want to use an FPR nib, then proceed cautiously while adjusting nib curvature and go in very small steps.

Next time I'll try a real #5 and report back. I have several Baoer nibs that should be a #5, so I will try those as well as the Noodler's Nib Creaper one, next time I get into "tweaking" mode. If I could get a decent semiflex nib on a Kaweco housing, that'd be great.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Kaweco Sport take a particular #5 nib, which is the shorter 060 and not the longer standard 180. One can mount a standard 180 on a Sport, but the tines will be damaged upon capping.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

https://www.fpnibs.com/126-size-5-steel

If you are truly interested in a custom grind such as an architect I can highly recommend FPnibs.com for a replacement Kaweco Sport nib.

Pablo does excellent work and provides a number of custom options for the standard Kaweco nibs, including an architect grind, at very reasonable prices with quick shipping times.

• 2 weeks later...

Yuk! Sorry, I forgot that part: if you try to fit a standard 5.5 or 5 nib, then you most likely will also need to "eat" the back of the nib. The kaweco nib is shorter, and the section is shaped to allow that shorter nib. Now it was mentioned I remembered I also had to grind the back of the nib down to the appropriate length.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I got a BB nib and had Mike Masuyama grind into an architects point its awecome. You can also go the calligraphy nib route 1.1 or 1.9