A Worthy Successor To Omas?

Uncial

Had an hour to spend and started looking at that stub, which was sitting idle since I'd replaced it with an F. On the one hand, that F is totally amazing. On the other hand, there's an equally amazing F in my Momento Zero. So that makes two amazing F's. And an idle stub. The thing is, I love narrow stubs, not wide stubs. Given that it's an inexpensive steel stub which can easily be replaced, I narrowed it and tuned it to my liking. Here's a comparison with a Kaweco 1.1 (which really writes a 1.1 mm downstroke). Apologies for poor writing - I hurt my ring finger and can hardly write at all (not that my penmanship is good, even at the best of times).

fpn_1550329458__03fe5839-9f65-4d17-bdd8-

Now it's a stubbish pen that I can use for long sessions, which will give me some nice line width variation, without the "massiveness" of a real 1.1 or 1.5 mm stub. It writes smoothly and pleasantly and is wet enough for fast writing and signatures. Just how I like it. I'm quite proud of it, because I'm not very good at tuning stubs. Narrowing this slab of steel from a 1.5 to appr. 0.8 and making something nice out of it is demanding. It's very easy to turn it into a flat-foot or into an overly sharp italic and that just won't do.

This pen is going to see a lot of use.

Ink: Pelikan 4001 Turquoise.

Edited by TheDutchGuy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDutchGuy

• A Smug Dill

• Uncial

• sansenri

Nicely done!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks! I'm quite happy with it. It has a nice, pencil-like feel to it, which was a happy accident because I can't do that on purpose (yet). When I use a light touch, like I normally do, it writes a M vertical line with nice variation, I'd say an EF horizontal line. With slightly more pressure, it writes the full 0.8 mm vertical line. It's hardly been out of my hands today.

• 2 months later...

Quick update. Since buying my Furore with the stub, I also acquired spare F and EF nibs. The EF arrived a couple of days ago and it blew my mind. I even prefer it to the amazing F nib in my Momento Zero. As a matter of fact, as a model I've come to prefer to Furore over the Momento Zero because the Furore's shape suits my hand even better and the nib is less prone to dry out when the pen is not in use. The Furore is now my main writer.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I got unlucky, but I would say no. They are not the worthy successor. At least not until they get their ducks in a row.

The pen I received was lacking in the QC department. To me it seems like the demand for their product has surpassed their capabilities and they are just scrambling to get pens out the door. My Furore with stub nib had misaligned tines, visible micro-scratches in the nib and body finish, bits of machined acrylic still stuck to the feed, and the color pattern did not line up / match between the blind cap and the rest of the body.

I really wanted to love this pen, but came away very disappointed. There's no excuse to let QC issues like those slip through the cracks when the pens are hand made. That defeats the entire purpose of purchasing something that didn't come from an assembly line. The human touch is what gives it it's appeal...

I want to return it but I purchased from over-seas and the return shipping is going to be close to $30. Not worth being out that much money to send it back...

Edited by BetterLateThanNever

Maybe I got unlucky, but I would say no. They are not the worthy successor. At least not until they get their ducks in a row.

The pen I received was lacking in the QC department. To me it seems like the demand for their product has surpassed their capabilities and they are just scrambling to get pens out the door. My Furore with stub nib had misaligned tines, visible micro-scratches in the nib and body finish, bits of machined acrylic still stuck to the feed, and the color pattern did not line up / match between the blind cap and the rest of the body.

I really wanted to love this pen, but came away very disappointed. There's no excuse to let QC issues like those slip through the cracks when the pens are hand made. That defeats the entire purpose of purchasing something that didn't come from an assembly line. The human touch is what gives it it's appeal...

I want to return it but I purchased from over-seas and the return shipping is going to be close to $30. Not worth being out that much money to send it back...

I am not sure who you bought your pen from, but I would strongly suggest contacting them and explain the problems you are having. They may either send you replacement nibs and feeds or other replacement parts. And in some case, the retailer may "spring" for the return shipping. I had issues with my two stub nibs on my Momento Zeros, and I contacted the retailer - Novelli - and they were extremely helpful.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure who you bought your pen from, but I would strongly suggest contacting them and explain the problems you are having. They may either send you replacement nibs and feeds or other replacement parts. And in some case, the retailer may "spring" for the return shipping. I had issues with my two stub nibs on my Momento Zeros, and I contacted the retailer - Novelli - and they were extremely helpful.

I did contact the vendor. They had no problem with me returning the pen for an exchange, but did not offer to pay for return shipping.

I decided to ink the pen and try to ignore the visual issues. I'm having hard starting problems with the stub nib. Tried Kon-Peki and Waterman Mysterious Blue inks. Both had the same problem.

Very frustrating...

Did a new nib solve your problem with your stubs?

I have a Momento Zero (the Hawaii variation) with an "F" nib. Great pen! It is clearly very well built and looks great. Nice, sold writer.

I've since bought a green one and have a Bacio del Diavolo on order. Really like the pens.

I don't think you can ever replace Delta, which had those marvelous orange pens - what a great name, Dolce Vita! - but it is good that there are more options with the quality of Delta (rather than Martemodena).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I did contact the vendor. They had no problem with me returning the pen for an exchange, but did not offer to pay for return shipping.

I decided to ink the pen and try to ignore the visual issues. I'm having hard starting problems with the stub nib. Tried Kon-Peki and Waterman Mysterious Blue inks. Both had the same problem.

Very frustrating...

Did a new nib solve your problem with your stubs?

After I received my new nibs, I sent the pens off to Danny Fudge (thewritepen.net) to have him check them out for me, work on the stub nibs and change out to the fine nibs. He was also working on a couple of other pens for me. I had tried to take the stub nibs and feeds out, but I just didn't have the "muscle" and I was afraid of cracking the section. Since I had other pens that needed repair and tuning, I decided to send them off to Danny.

I just got them back today. I have promptly inked them and tried them out. I am generally prefer wider nibs, but I must say that I absolutely love the fine nib. It is smooth as silk! I don't think Danny did much to the nibs except put them in the pens for me. But so far they are wonderful! I will update you after I have had a chance to write with them for awhile.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today