Pen Pit Stop : Twsbi Micarta V2

namrehsnoom

Pen Pit Stop : TWSBI Micarta v2

Welcome to the Pen Pit Stop. Here you will find reviews of pens that already have some mileage on them. More specifically, these reviews are of pens that are in my personal collection, and that have been in use for at least a year. I thought it would be fun to do it this way - no new & shiny pens here, but battered vehicles that have been put to work for at least a year. Let's find out how they have withstood the ravages of time.

fpn_1542658505__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_title

The fountain pen that enters the pit stop today is the "TWSBI Micarta v2". According to Wikipedia, micarta is a composite material of linen, canvas, paper or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. It was originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Definitely a somewhat exotic material to use for constructing a fountain pen. The Micarta v2 is the second iteration of this pen, which was introduced in spring 2014 and solved some problems with the v1 version (specifically, the v1 version had problems with its cap seal, resulting in nibs drying out). The manufacturing process with this material is supposedly difficult, and TWSBI abandoned this experiment. These pens are now true collector's items.
I bought this pen in September 2014 - shortly after it appeared on the market. It has been in use for a bit over 4 years now. This pen is in my regular rotation, and always filled with some matching brown ink. Let's have a closer look at it.
fpn_1542658518__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_finia
fpn_1542658560__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_logo_
fpn_1542658574__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_nib1.

Pen Look & Feel
This is a truly minimalistic pen without much in the way of ornamentation. Some subtle branding is present, with the TWSBI logo on the finial, and a faint engraving on the cap spelling TWSBI both in English and Taiwanese. TWSBI also sold a version with a golden clip, but in my opinion this breaks the elegance of the design - so I got me the clipless version. The pen is a real looker, and the micarta material gives it a very organic look & feel.
The pen has a screw-on cap, and is really meant to be used unposted. You can post it, but I would not recommend it - posting feels rather unsecure. The pen also has some girth to it, and feels very comfortable in the hand. The gold-coloured steel F-nib on my pen writes very smooth, and is a true pleasure to use (out-of-the-box, no tuning required). I like this nib a lot.
fpn_1542658590__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_compa
fpn_1542658601__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_compa
fpn_1542658611__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_compa

The pictures above illustrate the size of the Micarta v2 in comparison with a standard Lamy AL-star. Capped, posted as well as uncapped, both pens are roughly equal in size. I personally prefer to use both pens unposted.
Pen Characteristics
  • Build Quality : the pen is well build, and still looks great after more than 4 years of use. The micarta material looks especially nice, and looks & feels very organic. There is some visible darkening of the material on the grip section - probably due to the oils in my hand. Overall though, this pen has aged gracefully.
  • Weight & Dimensions : about the same size as a Lamy Safari - capped, posted and uncapped. The pen is rather light-weight, and very comfortable for longer writing sessions.
  • Filling System : this is a cartridge convertor pen, that uses standard international cartridges. Be aware that micarta is a material that stains easily. I wouldn't recommend using a converter and filling the pen by dipping its nib in the ink bottle. My advice: use empty cartridges and syringe-fill them.
  • Nib & Performance : the gold-coloured steel nib on this pen is well-proportioned for the size of this pen. According to info on the web, it's a standard #6 JoWo nib. The F-nib on my unit writes like a dream, and produces a wet and well-saturated line.
  • Price : I paid about 100 EUR for the new pen. Given the untraditional material, and the stunning looks of this pen, I'd say this is very good value for money. The Micarta pens have been discontinued by TWSBI, so today this is probably a collector's item.

fpn_1542658619__twsbi_micarta_v2_-_overv

Conclusion
The TWSBI Micarta v2 is a stunner - a very nice-looking minimalistic pen, constructed from a very unusual material. I really like its organic look & feel. This is one of my top 5 pens, and in regular rotation. The pen has aged well, showing only some discolouration on the grip section.
The crucial question is: would I buy this pen again? To this, my answer is a resounding YES. This pen totally fits my taste, and is also a very smooth writer. It is definitely a keeper - the Micarta v2 entered my pen top 5 the day I bought it, and has never left this position.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bass1193

• langere

• jchch1950

• taike

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely review. Here's to hoping that they bring back the micarta. I never picked one up when they were still available.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Excellent idea. Looking forward to many, many more of these posts.

I never did pull the trigger on the Micarta, possible staining scared me back then . . . now I wouldn't give a hoot. Oh well.

I'm glad this pen has served you well. :)

It was a pleasure to visit with your Micarta & with exception to your nib, I can say I share your sentiments! I switched my nib for my preferred stub & usually find mine filled as well. I just emptied & cleaned mine last week & it has deserved a good rest, until a new brown ink I want to try arrives.

I like having you show us these reviews after you have been using the pen for a while. Our perceptions can change after extended use.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I love my Micarta! Great, reliable pen. Best pen TWSBI ever manufactured.

As all TWSBIs, no line expression of the nib, but I like the sturdiness and the unique material. I've had mine for about 5 years and it's going great.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

This is bound to be a truly helpful series! It's fantastic to see how things get along after one has had a pen for awhile! The Micarta is the only TWSBI that has held me fully enthralled. It's awesome to see that it continues to hold up to expectation for such a special pen!

I guess I got mine at about the same time. Also clipless but with the M nib. It was maybe my second TSWBI. It is a heck of a pen.

I remember some folks at the time complaining that the converter doesn't stay well fixed in the barrel, i.e, it can rattle. I solved that by putting one of the little rubber bands from my kids braces around the converter. Works perfectly. A proper o-ring might be a classier fix but you work with what you got.

I solved that by putting one of the little rubber bands from my kids braces around the converter. Works perfectly. A proper o-ring might be a classier fix but you work with what you got.

Engineering minds unite! Very nicely done 😄

Wish I had pulled the trigger when these first came out.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!