A 1970's Gem, Pelikan P476

RedDingo

Pelikan P476 cartridge fountain pen was manufactured from 1973-77. Although, very common in Germany 40 years ago, despite not being rare, do not come up for sale very often.

1. Appearance & Design (8/10)

This is a rather conservative design using chrome and plastic. Not what I normally associate with the majority of Pelikans traded today. I suspect it was the company's attempt to manage the transition from fountain pens to the convenience of ballpoints. Despite using cheaper materials, the quality and construction is very good. I particularly like the use of stainless steel for the nib enabling it to survive the decades with no damage and as good as new. The choice of a matte black cap works well with the shiny chrome barrel. Uncapped, the finish and feel of the glossy black section (grip) is different which makes me wonder whether they've used a different plastic to other pens at the time. The choice of a blue ink-view window compliments the uncapped pen but I question it's functionality. After all, it uses cartridges with room for an extra one in the barrel. Overall, it's a simple design that works for me and compared to its competition at the time, I would have been tempted.

post-105084-0-98729300-1542459124.jpg

2. Construction & Quality (9/10)

As mentioned above, the construction and quality is good despite using plastics and chrome. The pen is light, so I prefer writing with it capped. Interestingly, it feels solid and fits well in my hand. I'm surprised they used a plastic thread (section) meeting the metal thread on the barrel. It might be fine but I would be careful when screwing on the barrel. With constant use, I suspect the chrome barrel may mark over time but would withstand a lot of punishment. It's surprisingly sturdy and I wouldn’t worry about it being dropped.

post-105084-0-45958600-1542459194.jpg

3. Weight & Dimensions (8/10) – Capped: 132mm; Uncapped: 124mm; Posted: 147mm; Diameter: 11mm; Weight: 18g. The pen is lighter than those I normally use. The cap is half the weight of the pen; it posts securely, feels balanced and comfortable in the hand. I could get used to it.

4. Nib & Performance (8/10) – It has a stainless steel F nib which on paper looks like an EF. Being steel it has no flex and is not toothy or scratchy, writing quite smoothly. I didn’t need yet another pen inked, so for this review it was dip tested with this year's Pelikan Edelstein Olivine. It had no difficulties laying a consistent fine line on: plain printer paper; gloss calligraphy paper; and Manga paper (an advantage of an F nib). Unlike the more popular Pelikan nibs, these don't use a nib unit. The nib and section can be removed but only with the correct tools so it’s not a good idea to take it apart. The feed holds a surprising amount of ink. Given the age, and rarity, it will be difficult to find another nib. In the 70’s, the nib range was: Fine (F); Medium (M); Broad ( B); Left Oblique-Medium (OM); Left Oblique Broad (OB); and Left Oblique double Broad (OBB). I have only seen them in Fine or Medium. If you enjoy fine nibs then this is one to try.

post-105084-0-48879600-1542459248.jpg

5. Filling System & Maintenance (8/10) – The barrel has room for two small proprietary 4001 cartridges. Most of the small international cartridges fall out. Naturally, the pen can use a proprietary cartridge converter, which again is not compatible with most international standard converters. However, the small plastic “Parker” converter does fit snugly. Cartridges are clean and easy to use to use.

6. Cost & Value (8/10) – The pen was a gift. It’s a NOS vintage pen and not very common so would generally attract the attention of collectors, which artificially inflates the price. I have seen one set (pen and ballpoint) with the original box selling for US$210. A pen by itself, in average condition, sells for US$35-US$50. This pen including the box, instructions, and original cartridges could sell for US$50-US$70. It’s hard to justify the price Pelikan collectors are prepared to pay; it’s entirely dependent on demand. However, from a practical point of view, on average, as an everyday writer, I suspect the pen would be worth US$40. The build quality is comparable to the cheaper range of Pelikan pens. Would I buy one for US$40? It would be a difficult decision when comparing with brand new pens, but it is vintage Pelikan. If you like EF or F pens then of course it would be attractive and definitely a talking point, so for that price I would buy on.

7. Conclusion (Final score, 49/60) – Overall, I like it, it’s a nice unpretentious pen. I have only ever seen Pelikan Souverans so this was a nice surprise. Initially, I was sceptical, but it lived up to the build quality of a Pelikan pen. It makes a nice daily writer and although I generally shy away from a Fine nib, I could get used to this one. I have a lot of pens but don’t consider myself to be a collector. I firmly believe fountain pens are built to be used and this one will last for decades. However, since Fine nibs are not my favourite, I will most likely sell it, so will keep it in pristine condition until I decide what to do with it. Don’t faint, I’ll even keep the box and instructions, just in case. It’s definitely a go-to pen for those that love Fine nibs.

post-105084-0-10637400-1542459286.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RedDingo

• PAKMAN

• amk

• SoulSamurai

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the things I respect about both Pelikan and Faber Castell is their ability to turn out school pens and inexpensive pens that share the values and quality of their premium lines. The Pelikano is probably my favourite but all of Pelikan's different cartridge fillers are worthwhile pens. I didn't know this one - it's a beauty!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Nice review, thanks for sharing. I do think a photo of the pen uncapped but assembled would be nice, if that would be possible.

I find "budget" Pelikan pens interesting for some reason, and this looks like a nice one. I might have to keep an eye out.

Thanks for the review!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I do think a photo of the pen uncapped but assembled would be nice, if that would be possible.

Yes, a photograph of the pen as it looks in hand would be helpful.

Thank you for the nice review.
I have owned a very similar pen since the 70's to early 90's. In the 70's I was in high school, and this was the pen I would use every day in my studies.
Back then, although I did like using a fountain pen to write (I was taught at elementary school in the sixties) this was my only fountain pen (after destroying a Pelikan 120...) and I had no intention of buying any other.
This pen served me until the end of university, writing practically every day (until the chrome on the cap started wearing off) without any faults for at least 10 years in a row, if not more.
The pen unfortunately was lost at some point.
My version was probably a P464 according to some research I did some time ago. I recall it had a black barrel and section, with a little blue ink window like yours and a slightly satin chrome-plated steel cap, a smooth clip with the word Pelikan on it (yours is the Silvexa style clip) and the Pelikan logo on a black background in a button on top of the cap (you did not show it, does your cap have the Pelikan logo on top?). The nib was steel, about M. It was not a Silvexa, the clip was different as mentioned.
I would have liked to replace it but have not yet found the exact model. I bought a very similar model, the P478, which has a chrome brushed barrel, rather than plastic.
It is a nice and very reliable pen, just a tad thin by today's standards

fpn_1542476679__pelikan_p478.png

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, a photograph of the pen as it looks in hand would be helpful.

I hope this photo will help put it in perspective. I consider my hand to be rather normal, not on the larger side.

post-105084-0-70157200-1544602059_thumb.jpg