Which Inks Do You Use In Your Al-Star/safari?

uceroy

Mine runs the standard Lamy blue or blue-black cartridge ink. Seems to write pretty wet, and I've never bothered to mess with the nib. (I also didn't clean it when I first got it; i just inked it up and got to writing!)

Lamy Safari (f), Pilot MR (f), Kaweco Ice Sport (f), Lamy Aion (f), Parker 75 Ciselé (65), Platinum 3776 (m), Lamy 2000 (f), Kaweco AL Sport (f), Montblanc 146 (m)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uceroy

• tamiya

• Mongoosey

• Struebs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's fine.

Lamy's are not wet pens and they do run on the drier side of wetness more often than other pens I've used, so they are more prone to flow issues with inks that may be temperamental.

I really enjoy "absolute" statements, that "all Brand X pens are ..."

Despite the experiences of other Users.

That's really funny!

Well, regardless,

@uceroy, you have some dry flowing pens that don't meet your standards.

If you haven't cleaned the parts of the pen out thoroughly and made sure the nib's tines aren't too tight, I suggest to do so as they may help significantly.

Then if swapping out different nibs doesn't help, then I really do suggest some wetter inks as they can be a joy to use, and provide a nice smooth writing experience capable of improving the writing experience as much as choosing a better paper (like using Tome river paper :happycloud9: for the first time) and/or a better pen. Some people even use inks to tune their pens:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340960-most-lubricatedvelvety-ink/?do=findComment&comment=4130959

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/333863-good-lubricating-ink-for-very-fine-narrow-nibs/

I think if you like the Lamy's and find them dry, the Lamy 2K, which is well known to be a wetter pen may be a good investment for you.

But if you like the shape of the Lamy section, as I did, other pens may interest you like the Ranga Davenport (very comfortable and quite affordable with a Jowo nib unit that I've never had dryness issues like I've had with Lamy Pens). Also highly functioning is the Karas Kustoms Decograph which is uber comfortable and lightweight as well and the folks at Karas Kustoms (like Ranga and Peyton Street Pens) are wonderful, very polite, and understanding.

You do have black friday coming up and not a bad time to pick something new up, IMO. It's truly that time of year for fountain pen users : )

I actually have a bottle of BSB.. (ordered it and then read about the troubles.. )

Which pen do you use it in?

I use it (diluted with distilled water to prevent feathering) in a Noodler's Charlie eyedropper. That pen, with the (okay, no longer clear) clear barrel, makes it easier to do (about 3/4 fill of ink or so, then topped off with distilled water. I used to use a cheap Chinese demonstrator until I caught the clip on the elastic in a pen case and snapped the finial off the cap -- and can't tell whether the remaining screw threads are enough protection to keep the pen from drying out when capped, (and the pen isn't really worth trying to fix since it only cost me five bucks to begin with).

The reason that ink gets limited to a dedicated pane is because I don't trust even MY OCD-ness about flushing to prevent bad interactions with BSB and other (non-Bay State series) inks.

I'm guessing that Struebs's white Safari isn't so white anymore.... :huh: That stuff stains everything and its cousin (including peoples' stainless steel sinks).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I actually have a bottle of BSB.. (ordered it and then read about the troubles.. )

Which pen do you use it in?

I actually want to trade it haha. I love the color and the smell but it is is too much effort. I’m trying to up my level of engagement on the forum before offering it up for trade.

Pens it has inked me through:

Pilot Metro

Pilot Kakuno

Lamy Safari

Kaweco Skyline Sport

Noodlers Charlie

Each time I got mad at the pen! What a fool I am.

I use it (diluted with distilled water to prevent feathering) in a Noodler's Charlie eyedropper. That pen, with the (okay, no longer clear) clear barrel, makes it easier to do (about 3/4 fill of ink or so, then topped off with distilled water. I used to use a cheap Chinese demonstrator until I caught the clip on the elastic in a pen case and snapped the finial off the cap -- and can't tell whether the remaining screw threads are enough protection to keep the pen from drying out when capped, (and the pen isn't really worth trying to fix since it only cost me five bucks to begin with).

The reason that ink gets limited to a dedicated pane is because I don't trust even MY OCD-ness about flushing to prevent bad interactions with BSB and other (non-Bay State series) inks.

I'm guessing that Struebs's white Safari isn't so white anymore.... :huh: That stuff stains everything and its cousin (including peoples' stainless steel sinks).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

BSB was my second ink purchase. What a n00b. The safari only has a little blue tinge near the nib. Also a cracked cap. I love the nib and the flow of the safari but I want my next Lamy to be a CP1.

BSB was my second ink purchase. What a n00b. The safari only has a little blue tinge near the nib. Also a cracked cap. I love the nib and the flow of the safari but I want my next Lamy to be a CP1.

I only tend to use BSB in cartridge/converter pens.

No issues, apart from the odd staining when left way too long.

Good choice on the CP1. :thumbup: You could also consider the Logo.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Seven Vistas:

Fine, with Équinoxe 6; this ink can make you lose your mind as it looks very different depending on the pen, and might even clog others. This pen makes it look just right.

Medium, with Verde Muschiato; this ink can make nibs feel nicely lubricated but if it evaporates it can feel dry.

Medium, with Fuyu Gaki, looks good, works fine.

Fine, with Mandarin, looks good, works fine.

Medium, with Orange Indien, looks good, works fine.

Fine, with Inti, looks good, works fine.

Medium, with Rouge Hematite... This is a nightmare ink, looks great but clogs up everything.

I keep all of these in single velvet pouches, just went away on a trip for a few days, came back, they all work fine, except for the one with Rouge Hematite, which is unfortunately expected.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Wow, thanks for all the extensive replies! I really appreciate it 🙂

I've tweaked a few nibs, let out air of converters, but not cleaned them yet.

So far I have 3 working well now (one had a Lamy cartridge in them from the start and had no problems)

The three giving me problems are 2 with a fine nib, in which I will try different inks soon.

I have a bottle if Quink, a tester if Krishna autumn and a few if the Lamy gem inks. Also a few sample bottles of Diamine due in December. Which wouls you recommend? I'm obviously a color-holic 😂

The third troublemaker has a medium nib, and this one is the only one that feels scratchy. Managed to improve it somewhat, but that hasn't done the trick so far.

(Added a little sample, the Black swan in Australian roses is a bit watered down, had to wet the nib a bit)

post-146308-0-39630500-1542748088_thumb.jpg

Edited by uceroy

• 2 weeks later...

(Added a little sample, the Black swan in Australian roses is a bit watered down, had to wet the nib a bit)

geez if that's rhodia dotpad, you're writing as dry as the sahara!

My Lamys are all fixed until they're generously wet. Today i unearthed an Al-Star M that's been left to dryout for months with Iroshizuku KonPeki crusted inside... i filled it with just water (guaranteed drier than usual), its now writing again and its still wetter than your lines.

I've tried a number of different inks in my Lamy Al-Stars. Noodlers, Diamine, De Atrementis, Pilot Iroshizuku, and Monteverde inks have all been used. (Probably a few more that I can't recall at the moment as well).

I find that certain Lamy pens in my collection behave better than others, but that seems to be a nib/feed issue rather than the ink since I regularly switch nibs. I need to do some work on a couple of my nibs. I have an EF that writes wetter than a F on one and a F that seems drier than my other EFs.

I do have Diamine Wild Strawberry in an Al-Star with a B nib right now and am LOVING that bold red. It's perfect for December.

geez if that's rhodia dotpad, you're writing as dry as the sahara!

My Lamys are all fixed until they're generously wet. Today i unearthed an Al-Star M that's been left to dryout for months with Iroshizuku KonPeki crusted inside... i filled it with just water (guaranteed drier than usual), its now writing again and its still wetter than your lines.

Greetings from the sahara..! (j/k) It is in fact a rhodia dot pad.

I'm happy with how most of them perform now, with exception of the broad one, which looks more like a fine (and which obviously dried uo a bit ). And the one with eel cactus in it is still a tad scratchy.

Thanks for the photo, that gives me something to aim for

I do admit I write quite fast, which will probably make a bit of a difference, too.

Edit: The broad one is way better now, whoohoo! 😁

post-146308-0-44642700-1544870403_thumb.jpg

post-146308-0-71855800-1544871630_thumb.jpg

Edited by uceroy

Wow, thanks for all the extensive replies! I really appreciate it

I've tweaked a few nibs, let out air of converters, but not cleaned them yet.

So far I have 3 working well now (one had a Lamy cartridge in them from the start and had no problems)

The three giving me problems are 2 with a fine nib, in which I will try different inks soon.

I have a bottle if Quink, a tester if Krishna autumn and a few if the Lamy gem inks. Also a few sample bottles of Diamine due in December. Which wouls you recommend? I'm obviously a color-holic

The third troublemaker has a medium nib, and this one is the only one that feels scratchy. Managed to improve it somewhat, but that hasn't done the trick so far.

99% of my problems with my Vistas have been solved by cleaning the pen, in extreme cases like Rouge Hematite dismantling the feed, which is made of two parts, and cleaning the internal "rails". If you gently pass a thin knife over them you can increase flow, which is of course not reversible.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

My LE Orange gets LE Lamy Orange ink.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My Al Stars and Safaris are all XF or F nibs. Some are indeed dry writers with most inks. Those inks that write more lusciously for me even with finer nibs are:

- PR Ebony Purple

- Diamine Eclipse

- De Atrementis Fog Grey

- Diamine Prussian Blue

- Diamine Damson

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Just flushed it. Diamine Classic Red (Al Star) I have used many inks in it.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I tend to grab Lamy cartridge (lazy days) or pilot iroshizuku bottled ink. Rarely J. Herbin in a pinch or a specific color.