Montblanc Is Lying To Buyers About The Material Of Their Pens - Confirmed

paradigm

Not sure if this will be resolved or is actually desired to be resolved.

Latter.......One man's good old advertising hyperbole is another man's major league irritant.....Or they simply don't like the company or products.

Fred

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corona688

• praxim

• TSherbs

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montblanc grinds the stone to be added to a resin. You can see the same thing on the other pens you mention along with the Schiller cap from the writer's series (which I think is probably the most successful of all these types due to the way it catches the light). If you hold any of them in your hand this becomes immediately apparent. I haven't read anything from Montblanc that suggests these caps are formed from solid stone so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Can you imagine how heavy the pen would be if it were made of stone???

Edited by Shannon

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Montblanc's brochure states that "only genuine Malachite has been used in its creation". They did not claim, or even imply, that the material is solid carved Malachite.

Montblanc's brochure states that "only genuine Malachite has been used in its creation". They did not claim, or even imply, that the material is solid carved Malachite.

A reading comprehension problem perhaps?

Add lightness and simplicate.

What? Misleading statements from a luxury firm? Shocking!

Also in the news today... fire is still hot and water is still wet.

Nothing in the MB literature presented, nor that I have seen, indicates it was solid stone used for any of the pens. They are still attractive looking to me though.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

They are not lying.

Furthermore, malachite is not a precious gemstone. It is quite common. It is used for decorative purposes and doesnt hold value (like diamonds).

And this, boys and girls, is why I don't buy Monteblanc pens or buy into their hype (with their "precious resin" being marketing-speak for "plastic that will shatter when you drop the pen on the floor"...).

If people didn't buy into the "luxury item" BS that MB spins, they'd have to make more reasonably priced pens. I tried someone's 146 a few years ago and was not overly impressed (as in, the 1960s era Parker 45 I found for under $11 US including tax had a smoother nib, although to tell the truth we're talking an M on the Parker vs. the F on the MB). The guy's 149 did have a nicer nib than the 146, but the pen was way too large and heavy for me. As for the LE pens? Mostly they are overpriced and also kinda tacky looking (if the stripe-y Beatles pen hadn't cost and arm and a leg, I kind of liked it -- it amused me -- but the other one, with the finial designed to look like a microphone? Blecch. Made me wonder if they were aiming at the Montegrappa "tacky is good" customers.

I do like a few of the inks (even, admittedly, a couple of the LE ones -- I'm really happy with the color and behavior of the Beatles Psychedelic Purple, and Tolstoy is an interesting color). But overall? My experience with their products has been "meh"....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

What she said

Well, surely even an idiot would be able to tell instantly the moment they lift the pen that it isn't carved out of stone? I mean, it has weight, but not that kind of weight. I remember reading the speil about the Schiller and Montblanc were perfectly explicit about how it was formed. I don't see anything in what you've posted from Montblanc that would suggest they are making a claim that it is carved out of stone either.

It was clear from the Schiller literature that crushed amber with resin was used.

With the catalogues shown for the others, the wording is unclear, and I think many sellers do think it is made 'from' rather than 'with' the respective materials. As a buyer, I certainly had thought it was for the Nikolai (a thin tube of malachite does not seem impossible). For the Ramses I was less sure as the colour seemed too consistent.

Haematite and the Granite 1906 are worth considering.

Edited by RSVP

The real Montblanc crime here is the bloomin nib dry out on those stupid push caps. If that could be corrected the Tzar Nic might just be my all time favourite pen. That's something I can get excited about. Advertising spiel?......not so much.

@Ruth: +1 all the way! Gaudy overpriced tripe, mainly. Must admit that I would definitely jump all over their vintage and antique pens given the opportunity, though. And loving my Hero H718 has made me want the 1912 that inspired it 😄

Though I'm far from being able to afford the 1912!

Sucks being a poor college student. But thankfully I live in an era of cheap Chinese pens and the occasional splurge on pens from the expensive locals including JetPens, Goulet, Pen Boutique, and Pen Chalet.

~ Those Hamburg gnomes have been bamboozling everyone for years!

Whatever happened to ‘truth in advertising’?

The platinum pens I use weren't forged from solid platinum, fresh from the mine.

The 1266 on my writing desk isn't 100% solid silver from cap to tip.

Don't get me started about Montblanc inks. I had such lofty hopes, yet what did they do?

Nothing turns out to be what it was labelled.

Phooey!

I'm in a snit! It's pouting time so I'll put on a grumpy mien.

Toffee Brown doesn't at all taste like toffee. It's more like my Aunt Hattie's molasses.

Burgundy Red doesn't go with anything, not even haunch of boar or opossum tripe.

Oyster Grey...who are they kidding? It's flavor is more reminiscent of Limpet Lime.

Emerald Green has no trace of emeralds in it. After heating and drying, only a dull greyish dust remained. They cheated me.

James Purdey & Sons Single Malt may have the characteristic odor, but after guzzling a couple of bottles, all I got was a stomach ache.

Elixir Parfumeur Wood & Tobacco, and Leather, are both sham inks. No tobacco specks to gum up my nib feeds and not a speck of leather. What's going on?

To the great credit of Montblanc, two of their inks are honestly labelled.

Swan Illusion is indeed an illusion and Mystery Black remains a mystery to me.

Time to toddle off to my solicitors and make them earn their fat retainer.

I demand that Montblanc labels all of its product lines with 100% accurate wording, to meet my discerning standards.

Now, where are my 100% natural, organic, fat-free snacks?

Tom the Easily Gullible

Edited by Tom Kellie

HEY TOM , YOU JUST MISSED THE 'SKELETON' IN THE 'SKELETONS'

:rolleyes: :yikes:

The platinum pens I use weren't forged from solid platinum, fresh from the mine.

Don't get me started about Montblanc inks. I had such lofty hopes, yet what did they do?

Phooey!

Toffee Brown doesn't at all taste like toffee. It's more like my Aunt Hattie's molasses.

Burgundy Red doesn't go with anything, not even haunch of boar or opossum tripe.

Oyster Grey...who are they kidding? It's flavor is more reminiscent of Limpet Lime.

Emerald Green has no trace of emeralds in it. After heating and drying, only a dull greyish dust remained. They cheated me.

James Purdey & Sons Single Malt may have the characteristic odor, but after guzzling a couple of bottles, all I got was a stomach ache.

Elixir Parfumeur Wood & Tobacco, and Leather, are both sham inks. No tobacco specks to gum up my nib feeds and not a speck of leather. What's going on?

I demand that Montblanc labels all of its product lines with 100% accurate wording, to meet my discerning standards.

Tom the Easily Gullible

Phooey!

Tom the Easily Gullible

LOL!

... lies everywhere - my english self fillers newer did fill without my help.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums