Filter Or Not ? Old Ink In Crock .

EdwardSouthgate

Bought this crock of Stephens Scarlet ink and was wondering if I should pour it through some sort of filter before I use it in a Fountain pen ? If I need to filter it what would be best to use ? It was wax sealed as the pictures show and the cork was in excelent condition , clean and came out without a problem . All advice appreciated .

Eddie

post-145609-0-01129300-1542158901_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-20226200-1542158925_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-84108800-1542158951_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-98042200-1542158971_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bass1193

• EdwardSouthgate

• amberleadavis

• azbobcat

OK here is just some concerns of mine, but you had best check with the gurus to be sure.

#1. This comes in a crock jar, not glass, so this makes me think this is OLD!!!

#2. Notice this says, "Scarlet WRITING FLUID", it does NOT say INK. A "Writing Fluid" tends to make me think that the contents of the jug were intended for use with a DIP PEN, not a Fountain Pen, and probably is -- if anything -- a PIGMENTED INK, rather than a water soluble ink that is safe for Fountain Pens.

#3. This may or may NOT be based on Iron Gall technology which we tend to know is NOT SAFE for Modern Fountain Pens. One thing you could do is to decant a bit of this substance into a test tube then hold it up to a bright light. If you can't see straight through it, then that indicates that the contents are *probably* NOT water soluble indicating that it is a pigmented ink -- ie particles that are suspended in a solution. If you can see through to the other side, that means that what ever is inside is dissolved in the solute, but that does not mean it is safe to use in a Fountain Pen, for all you know the solute could be an ACID or a strong BASE. I would do a ton of research on this "Writing Fluid" before I'd load it into a Fountain Pen.

Edited by azbobcat

Not an iron gall ink, as commercialized iron gall inks at this time period(1910's-1920's) were blue-black inks, not scarlet, which even with using traditional iron gall ink recipes of previous centuries would be an unlikely color to create with logwood, or other material. There were a number of fountain pen safe iron gall inks being made at this time period as well, such as from Carters.

"Writing Fluid" was used by a pretty popular fountain pen ink brand in the form of Sheaffer's Skrip, and was often used by other ink companies as a way to differentiate their brands, so it alone doesn't preclude it from being a fountain pen ink.

From the OPs other postings about this ink, I would say if there doesn't appear to be anything floating in the ink, and if no sediment is obvious, I wouldn't worry about filtering it. But, I would use it in a cheap, yet good quality pen that is easy to wash out, and clean the feed if necessary. If it's like the other bottles of this ink the OP has, it looks like pretty standard red ink, not very saturated, and free flowing.....

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

It's see through . First 750 ml was clear when strained through a permenant type coffee filter . The rest had a brown gritt in it and will need further filtering through a paper coffee filter . I will probably do it all that way just to be on the safe side . No bad smell , no off color . If it doesen't cleen up to where I feel safe using it in a fountain pen then I have a couple of lifetimes of red dippen ink .The grit kinda looked like the clay the jug was made of .

Eddie

I used some Stephens it was fussy in fine nibs (with corresponding feeds), but behaved great in pens with wet feeds. I think if you get out the sediment, you will enjoy the ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

These threads are so exciting! I love old ink, and I've collected a fair few myself. I bet you'll be good after filtering it a few times to remove the particulates, as that's likely just a result of evaporation through the ceramic jug. Personally, I only use vintage red ink by dipping, just because I've dealt with so many vintage pens that were caked with dried red 😄 Never get those stains out 😔

Got the small bottles with the grit cleaned with no problem . I got some in one of my favorite, inexpensive but good , Senator piston fillers . Nice broad nib with a feed that gives plenty of flow but not juicy wet . Writing smooth with no skipping or starting problems . It's somewhat paler from the broad nib than I expected but I kinda like it . It looks a bit darker from a fine nibbed pen I tried it with by dipping .

Edited by EdwardSouthgate

Got the small bottles with the grit cleaned with no problem . I got some in one of my favorite, inexpensive but good , Senator piston fillers . Nice broad nib with a feed that gives plenty of flow but not juicy wet . Writing smooth with no skipping or starting problems . It's somewhat paler from the broad nib than I expected but I kinda like it . It looks a bit darker from a fine nibbed pen I tried it with by dipping .

Awesome! Pictures. PICTURES!!! If you please 😄

Edit: excitement led to many errors in typing.

Edited by bass1193

@Bass - we do have some threads about cleaning inks and removing stains.

That being said, Edward, Bass and I would like to see the pictures, please. :D

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@Bass - we do have some threads about cleaning inks and removing stains.

That being said, Edward, Bass and I would like to see the pictures, please. :D

Yasssss! Amberlea has spoken!

I do not do good pictures but I will try to get my son to take some this week . I am not digitally inclined ,

It's a good blood red not a ruby .

I do not do good pictures but I will try to get my son to take some this week . I am not digitally inclined ,

It's a good blood red not a ruby .

That is an enticing description! But, do please don't feel rushed. Patience is a virtue 😄