Ink Recommendations

patrk55

I'm new to fountain pens and found that my country's (Hungary) selection of both pens and inks is lacking to say the least, there are only a handful of inks available in stores (Lamy, Pelikan 4001 series, Parker Quink, Waterman) so my question would be whether there are any Hungarians here who have suffered with the same issue and have maybe found a suitable solution or if you have a recommendation on which of these inks I should go with?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• patrk55

• Bo Bo Olson

• ErrantSmudge

Not Hungarian,

dry inks, Pelikan 4001 & Lamy is somewhat dry, Parker Quink is somewhat dry, Waterman is a wetter ink.

Before Noodlers Waterman was The Wet ink.

Now some of Noodlers inks are so wet, some Noodler users consider Waterman a dry ink.

If you have 90g and or + laser paper; 4001 and Lamy inks will shade...Shade the ink dries in two stages on top of the paper where it is thicker it is darker.....I like it a lot and chase to 95% Shading inks. (common 80g copier paper has little to no shading.)

..Lamy turquoise was once considered the base color all turquoise were compared too. 4001 matches it.

Once Waterman South Sea Blue was a good turquoise....got some modern name I refuse to learn.

Don't know about Parker. Have heard it's sort of dry.

Sheaffer ink is made in Slovakia or was so you could check there too.

Do not buy Lamy Green!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :wallbash: :headsmack: Don't even waste money buying a cartridge pack....really........one of the worlds worse greens.

If you can find on Hungarian Ebay the old, just discontinued Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green get some, a good shading ink......................many wanted a darker green so Pelikan came out with one, and then discontinued a very nice ink. @ E8.50 R&K Verdura is a bit better as a green-green shading ink. MB Irish Green at E19 has priced itself out of the market.

Lamy violet comes only in cartridges. A very nice ink.

Ask around. Pelikan Edelstein comes in a fancy bottle is still E16 a touch more lubricated than 4001, but still in the middle-dry sector for some...some are a bit wetter. You have to look each up to see how wet or dry each is.

We have a great Ink Review section, so you can look up any and all 'local' inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What Bo Bo said about Lamy Green also applies to their Red ink - it's a sickly light red-pink, and should not be bought even as a pack of cartridges. Waterman makes a much nicer red ink.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I live in the United States, and for the most part, there aren't many inks available in stores here either. Most people buy online.

I used Pelikan for decades, because it was an ink I could consistently find in a store in San Francisco. I like Waterman better, but it isn't as readily available where I live. I got some last year at a pen show.

People often say that Pelikan inks are dry, designed for wet Pelikan pens, and that Waterman inks are wet, designed for dry Waterman pens, but I used Pelikan 4001 Violet for 20 years in a Waterman pen, without a sense that that combination was dry; I am currently using Waterman Tender Purple in a Pelikan pen and find myself a little bit disappointed by how dry it is.

I'm new to fountain pens and found that my country's (Hungary) selection of both pens and inks is lacking to say the least, there are only a handful of inks available in stores (Lamy, Pelikan 4001 series, Parker Quink, Waterman) so my question would be whether there are any Hungarians here who have suffered with the same issue and have maybe found a suitable solution or if you have a recommendation on which of these inks I should go with?

i am from Slovakia, Hungarias neighbour country. It same here. Why not try different european eshops? Ebay. rakuten.....

Try fountainfeder.de. They offer a nice assortment of inks and the shipping cost is very affordable (it depends on weight, for a few inks you probably fit the 4 Euro limit). If you prefer a personal contact with the ink and/or seller before purchase, Vienna is pretty close to Hungary...

i am from Slovakia, Hungarias neighbour country. It same here. Why not try different european eshops? Ebay. rakuten.....

Wait, you are in the home country of many inks. All the current Sheaffer inks are made is Slovakia. Sheaffer Red is a really nice inexpensive ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

:wub: OH MY You are correct. I apologize.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY