Where To Get Vintage Skrip

doggle2

I really want to try some vintage Skrip, in the yellow boxes, both for the nice ink inside, as well as the amazing bottle, but I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy bottles of it. Where can I buy some of it?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doggle2

• pen lady

• AL01

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebay is your best bet. Pendemonium occasionally has some, sign up for their newsletter.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I saw someone at one of the tables at OPS last weekend that had some. So if you can get to a pen show you might see some.

I've gotten lucky and found partially full bottles occasionally in antiques shops -- but often the bottle is completely empty (I've had more luck here in western PA with vintage Quink). OTOH, I've been told that vintage Skrip reconstitutes better than vintage Quink (although I haven't tried that).

If you do manage to find one of the inkwell bottles, snag it if it's cheap enough, even empty (they're great little bottles and you can always wash it out and refill it and use it as an inkwell).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ebay.

I think you'll pay less than 10$....

BUT BE WARNED: I have been disappointed by the color of vintage Skrip B/B.

These vintage inks do flow well in about any pen...

+++ that about finding it at pen shows Ruth. In May, our table at the Chicago show was next to a seller who had some NOS bottles. Sorry I can't remember his name (Bob, possibly), his father had been President of Sheaffer Canada back in the day, so he was selling mostly Sheaffer pens etc. Maybe the Chicago show organizers could give you his contact information.

Best fun will be at a pen show. Plus, you get to go to a pen show.

The first bottle was produced in 1922. The last bottle of Skrip rolled off the Fort Madison production lines in , what, 1990? So, they’re getting scarce after almost thirty years.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

That's unfortunate. I'm only a HS student, and am not near any pen shows (Seattle area). I guess I'll never get any.

Guess again....Mosey on over to Pendemonium and sign up for Inky Greetings and Midnight Madness.

While there check out the Vintage Ink section....You'll get some..have no fear..you will prevail.....all you

need is a little cash..with Patience and Perseverance.................

http://www.pendemonium.com/index.htm

Fred

I have bought lots of vintage ink from eBay during the past year or so. These include Parker Quink, Sheaffer Skrip, Carter's, Waterman, and Sanford's Penit. I mostly tried to get unopened bottles if possible unless I just wanted the bottle for display. For the Skrip ink, I found washable blue, permanent royal blue, deluxe blue, washable purple, and washable emerald green. They are great quality inks and among my favorite vintage inks. Vintage ink can often have faded colors; it depends how old the bottle is and how it was stored. However, they are usually still usable and often look great regardless. Vintage blue black is more risky because being iron gall based it has sometimes turned a muddy black color.

If you are patient, some good bottles will eventually pop up on ebay for a good price. I got a number of unused bottles for less than $20 and some even less than $10. One of my favorite purchases was a case of unopened Carter's washable blue ink (12 bottles).

Don't pay too much unless it is a really rare bottle that you want, because you never know the real condition of the ink. But it's worth a try. I've been pretty lucky so far. Good hunting!

+++ that about finding it at pen shows Ruth. In May, our table at the Chicago show was next to a seller who had some NOS bottles. Sorry I can't remember his name (Bob, possibly), his father had been President of Sheaffer Canada back in the day, so he was selling mostly Sheaffer pens etc. Maybe the Chicago show organizers could give you his contact information.

That would be Bob Everett, a really nice fellow. I bought a beautiful Mandarin Sentinel Snorkel from him at the Dallas show. Email him at rle12 (at) mi (dot) rr (dot) com.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That's unfortunate. I'm only a HS student, and am not near any pen shows (Seattle area). I guess I'll never get any.

Me too!

... Oh no.

I am very sorry.

That listing on the 'Bay is gone.

I think better suggestions have been given, but I just want to let you know...

Us students usually have crappy paper, and vintage Skrip seems to be a little wetter than newer Skrip...

So keep that in mind...

Ebay was where I was able to find a few bottles, sometimes they will show up as individual bottles, and sometimes in large lots. Of course, finding a bottle that is in great condition may need you ask a few questions of the seller if the condition is not made clear in the description and photos. You can certainly get a full bottle of ink for less the $10 each, sometimes a couple for that price depending on the color and vintage. Don't rush into buying a bottle because you think it might not come up again, as it most likely will. If you can find vintage ink at a pen shop or seller that can be a easy way to find one as well, you might pay a little more, but have a higher certainly of the condition of ink and bottle.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I've been very fortunate. I inherited three large bottles from my great grandfather and just recently bought two bottles of Peacock Blue from a friend for $3.

I've seen some at garage sales in the parts of town mostly inhabited by the older generations. You might have some luck with that.