The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Not That I Needed It, But Couldn't Resist

sailor pro gear slim h-mf ocean

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 16:31

fpn_1541866546__c0e08f00-5ab2-4519-aff3-

When visiting Amsterdam today to buy a wooden pen case, I tried to ignore the wonderful Sailor display in the store - and failed. My three Sailor-nibbed pens (a Pro Gear Slim, a 1911 Standard and a Cross Peerless 125) all have M nibs. Not that they're even remotely the same in terms of feel and line width - they're quite different from each other. A Japanese F is too fine/narrow for me; my handwriting is not compatible with such a needle-thin line. I tried a MF and was hooked. Contrary to Sailor's M and B nibs, which tend to have a built-in "rotation police" thanks to their intricate, multi-faceted geometry, the MF is more forgiving. But it has the typical pencil-like feedback that sets Sailor apart. It's a Japanese MF, which is a lot narrower than a Western MF. It's line width is even less than that of my old Sheaffer Targa Slim XF. Still, the nib is smooth. It's feedback, not scratchiness, big difference. I've never used a nib this fine yet this pleasant. It's a joy to write with, if I take my time - which (for me) is the whole point of Sailor: take your time and concentrate on your writing.

Given that it's an Ocean, naturally I'l use it with Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue. This is a very saturated ink and I often dilute it when I use it in other pens, but in this MF Sailor, Sydney Harbour Blue shines in its pure form.

fpn_1541867359__c3e8df24-2929-4356-bda8-

There are many Sailor Pro Gear reviews here on FPN, so I won't go too deeply into this pen. Suffice it to say that if you love Sailor M nibs, give the MF a try as well.

Apologies for the poor pictures.

Sponsored Content

#2 dennis_f

dennis_f

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 16:34

Lovely pen.  I love the translucency -- the photo really captures it.

Enjoy your new pen!

#3 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 19:36

As another person who enjoys subtle differences among nibs, I always look forward to your posts.

I have two Sailor pens, a Pro Gear Slim in Fine, and one in Broad, and like how they offer both contrast and family resemblance. 

#4 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 20:45

As another person who enjoys subtle differences among nibs, I always look forward to your posts

Thank you! That's nice to hear. Yes, I like to explore what different pens have to offer. While I like writing in itself (and do lots of it), I also admire the skill that goes into making a really great pen.

#5 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 00:07

Lovely pen and ink.

I shall give the MF a try on the next opportunity although I have been on the fence for the 'King' version of the Ocean.

Yes, I like to explore what different pens have to offer. While I like writing in itself (and do lots of it), I also admire the skill that goes into making a really great pen.

+1

#6 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 14:21

24 hours later and I think I'm in love. This is the writing experience that I had hoped to get from my Pilot Custom 823 F, but didn't. It's all a matter of personal preference and I'm not putting the 823 down at all - it just wasn't for me. The MF nib on this Pro Gear Slim Ocean is really, really fine - in both meanings of the word. But it still allows me to write at a brisk pace. This nib is a work of art.

#7 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 20:15

Glad you are pleased with your purchase.  :thumbup:

The quest is all about attaining that delicate balance, sheer bliss then ensues.

Enjoy the upcoming reams of happiness.

Yet, another satisfying union...  :wub:

#8 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 22:33

Beautiful, cograts!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#9 biancitwo

biancitwo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:53

As another person who enjoys subtle differences among nibs, I always look forward to your posts.

I have two Sailor pens, a Pro Gear Slim in Fine, and one in Broad, and like how they offer both contrast and family resemblance.

Agreed. Those subtle differences are a major source of fountain pen enjoyment. And, family resemblance is why I have Pelikans, vintage and modern, a couple of Platinums and a Nakaya, three Sailors, and Pilots. Of course, I struggle at times to put down a beautiful writer, in order to pick up others. That tension, however, also adds excitement. Love this hobby that is more than mere hobby.

#10 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:32

I ordered a Sailor in F and an MF arrived in the mail. As I had ordered directly from a Japanese vendor, I didn't want to go to the trouble to do an enchange, so I just inked it up and put it to work. Love it. A very happy accident. 

#11 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:38

Agreed. Those subtle differences are a major source of fountain pen enjoyment. And, family resemblance is why I have Pelikans, vintage and modern, a couple of Platinums and a Nakaya, three Sailors, and Pilots. Of course, I struggle at times to put down a beautiful writer, in order to pick up others. That tension, however, also adds excitement. Love this hobby that is more than mere hobby.

+1. Exactly.

#12 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:55

I ordered a Sailor in F and an MF arrived in the mail. As I had ordered directly from a Japanese vendor, I didn't want to go to the trouble to do an enchange, so I just inked it up and put it to work. Love it. A very happy accident. 

Happened to me with my first Sailor. I agonized over the choice between F & MF & decided on an F after some reading & listing browsing. Fast forward to ripping open the envelope & it was a MF. Checked the listing again & it seems the seller couldn't even decide which they were selling, since both sizes were referred to interchangeably throughout.  :lticaptd:

Edited by NinthSphere, 15 November 2018 - 09:58.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, pro gear slim, h-mf, ocean

Sponsored Content

|