Advice On Changing Sac In A Delta Venezia Le

Silviu

Hi,

I am encountering problems changing a sac in a Delta Venezia LE Lever filler I received yesterday.

I got the section out with no problems and also succeeded to extract the remains of the old dried sac.

The problem is that the nipple (with the smaller diameter) seems to perfectly fit in a second recession in the barrel, so that if you put a sac on the nipple it simply doesn't fit anymore and the section wont go back in the barrel.

I will appreciate any suggestions/help.

Thanks,

Silviu

post-57851-0-88249600-1541861411_thumb.jpgpost-57851-0-38074500-1541861426_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• mge01park

• Jopen

• Silviu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, only thing I can think of is perhaps there is some of the old sac still on that inside recessed part of the barrel. If it is all removed, then maybe try a thin walled sac?

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Thanks. I've made sure the sac goes in freely without the section. It seems all remnants of the old sac are out.

I'm afraid even an thin walled sac won't be enough - it's a tight fit there. A puzzle ....

Are you sure the sac fits to that nipple? Was the old one attached there? It seems to me that there is no reason the sac could not attach somewhere further up the barrel (this would allow the use of the same section for a range of filling systems).

I've never seen a Venezia, so this is a bit of a wild guess!!!!

Good luck,

Ralf

Hi Ralf,

The old sac was not indeed attached to the nipple when I think of it now. From my experience with vintage lever fillers the sac has to be attached to the nipple in order for ink to be sucked in. Might be they did something similar to the Waterman Ink-View? I have no idea.....

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking, at least regarding positioning the sac further up the barrel. Does your pen have a blind cap that can be removed? It strikes me that there must be some way to get access to the insides, or else they wouldn't have been able to get the filler in when they made it!

Ralf

• 10 months later...

hi,

did you get the sac changed?

I'm looking for a delta... but if it isn't possible to change the sac... i give up and i'll search another pen...

• 3 months later...

I just came upon this somewhat old thread. What a strange thing. The lever fillers are some of the easiest pens to restore/maintain... Did you use a probe light (or whatever you can do) to see inside how the pressure bar is moving when you lift the lever? What's this thick black wall inside the barrel? I hope it's not an overly thick sac. I am curious. I thought about getting one of the Delta modern lever fillers too, and I thought it would be easy. :unsure: Humm...

That's at least one good solution! Marco is a good man :) . I still would like to know what's the exact structure inside. Looks a bit different than a typical vintage lever filler from the photo of the barrel opening.

Novelli pen store in Rome change the sac of my Delta Venezia. :D

• 2 months later...

Delta had different sacs; wall was thinner and they had a smaller diameter at the open end; they had to be stretched to get them into the section notch, and thus diminishing more the wall thickness. I encountered the same problem in my Venezia years ago and finally changed it with an original sac. If no more available, I would suggest increasing just a bit the diameter on the barrel where the nipple sits to accommodate standard sacs...

Jose

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

Thank you for the helpful comments. May I ask if the original sac is a necked sac, you know the kind whose shape is kind of like a wine bottle? Sanding down the inner diameter of the barrel seems sensible. If done carefully and evenly, I don't see any harm :)

Delta had different sacs; wall was thinner and they had a smaller diameter at the open end; they had to be stretched to get them into the section notch, and thus diminishing more the wall thickness. I encountered the same problem in my Venezia years ago and finally changed it with an original sac. If no more available, I would suggest increasing just a bit the diameter on the barrel where the nipple sits to accommodate standard sacs...

Jose

Here you see a normal #16 sac and a Delta original sac

I think that in my case I would just adjust the internal diameter on the lathe, perhaps increasing it just as needed.

20200331_172150.jpg

Edited by Jopen
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

Very good info, Jopen. Thank you. So it IS a necked sac! Just need to use a sac gauge to find out the proper size and get a replacement necked sac (can buy from most vintage pen parts sellers). As you said, the other two options would be to reduce inner barrel diameter or try a sheaffer vac sac. But i think the best bet would be the necked sac of the right size.

Here you see a normal #16 sac and a Delta original sac

I think that in my case I would just adjust the internal diameter on the lathe, perhaps increasing it just as needed.

Another idea would be to try Sheaffer vac sacs which have thinner walls...

A beautiful pen indeed. I like the lever-fillers, easy to service and not many parts to mess up, and this one has a nice boxed lever.

This is my installed sac, an original one which I changed 5 years ago, still flexible.