Shot In The Dark Old Lamy Id? (1930S–1940S) - First Post, Sorry If I Dun Goofed

tbuddy

First time poster. Longish time lurker.

Picked up an old Lamy a bit ago and was hoping maybe someone with some vintage Lamy knowledge could lend some insight. Ran into a gentleman by the name of Osman at the Ohio Pen Show who said it was Italian. He fixed the sac for button filling and thought it was quite uncommon and most likely of Italian origins in the early Artus transitional period into Lamy.

Sorry in advance for lack of savvy with FPN posting convention. Attached one photo and have a small gallery at the imgur address below. Had some friends take some more pictures for me that are better than iPhone quality, but I don't have them yet to share.

https://imgur.com/a/JRB6FMS

post-146237-0-10495800-1541793121_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tbuddy

• bass1193

• christof

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting pen!

I have had a simiar one, but piston filling:

32314708482_00501c7726_b.jpgLamy Artus_1 von -C.M.Z-

unfortunately, research about Lamys history is difficult becaus only few facts are known an proof.

c.

Nice. I have a couple Artus and Lamy that are piston filling that are sort of old 22's and a 27's. This one of mine seemed to really catch some eyes from people who had seen a bunch of those. Love love my Panther. Writes fantastical.

Nice person in your sales page. I have an older Persona in black 18k before they put the rollstop on them. Really great pen with the stiffest nib I think of any I've owned. Like a nail.

What a stunner 😍 that stacked red celluloid (?) sure is awesome, as is the clip. Yet another to add to the list of eVilbay searches 😅

Edited to ask: how does it write?

Edited by bass1193

The clip on this old Artus immediately brings to mind the modern Studio - very similar lines. I wonder if there was any inspiration at work here.

What a stunner that stacked red celluloid (?) sure is awesome, as is the clip. Yet another to add to the list of eVilbay searches

Edited to ask: how does it write?

Honestly haven't inked it up since it was fixed. Guy who fixed it was pretty tenacious about trying to buy it and offered me a really nice MB 149 that was super mint from late 1980s for it. The nib was a little goofy as were the other three pens I got this with (Lamy Panther in good condition, Artus 22 with dead piston, and a Faber-Castell 73) and Osman ended up fixing that to his satisfaction. I haven't inked or even dipped it.

It's got a new sac so that's probably safe to just use with Lamy inks, right? I have Lamy Black, Blue, and Turquoise. It's probably the oldest pen I own now. I think older than my Esterbrooks and my old old Montblanc 334 1/2 (which I admittedly am ignorant on also but have original papers for it).

I may just ink it up this evening. It's a lovely lovely pen. It didn't occur to me until hearing how old it actually was that it is in really good shape. Went from looking kind of old to surprisingly great shape.

The clip on this old Artus immediately brings to mind the modern Studio - very similar lines. I wonder if there was any inspiration at work here.

Right!! I was thinking the same!

Honestly haven't inked it up since it was fixed. Guy who fixed it was pretty tenacious about trying to buy it and offered me a really nice MB 149 that was super mint from late 1980s for it. The nib was a little goofy as were the other three pens I got this with (Lamy Panther in good condition, Artus 22 with dead piston, and a Faber-Castell 73) and Osman ended up fixing that to his satisfaction. I haven't inked or even dipped it.

It's got a new sac so that's probably safe to just use with Lamy inks, right? I have Lamy Black, Blue, and Turquoise. It's probably the oldest pen I own now. I think older than my Esterbrooks and my old old Montblanc 334 1/2 (which I admittedly am ignorant on also but have original papers for it).

I may just ink it up this evening. It's a lovely lovely pen. It didn't occur to me until hearing how old it actually was that it is in really good shape. Went from looking kind of old to surprisingly great shape.

I've never heard of Lamy inks destroying sacs instantly, though I'm sure someone has a story. I've never had a problem with inks more saturated than Lamy's, for that matter. Knock on wood 😅 I vote for inking the old girl up and posting some pics to this thread!

Very curious. I wonder if this is from the 1940's, very early LAMY before they made their notable move to piston fillers.

Osman was pegging it at 1938-1940 for some reason which was odd to me reading Lamy company history but considering the timeframe that works. For some reason I didn't kind of think maybe there was something more historical behind the move from Parker to his own thing, which may just be partially conspiracy theory. Would make sense to have Italians make pens for him around then.

Got pen inked and writes great. Not a huge fan of extra fine nibs but they didn't exactly have a huge selection of these to choose from. Gonna get some proper photos tomorrow. iPhone doesn't do this thing justice.

• 1 month later...

Been a couple months. Don't use the pen too often. Thinking maybe send it to some friends going to pen shows may be the best route to find this thing's story.

• 6 months later...

the other three pens I got this with (Lamy Panther in good condition, Artus 22 with dead piston, and a Faber-Castell 73)

Picking up this thread and post, emphasis added.

I just acquired an Artus 22 with a dead piston, and I'm wondering if you were able to (or tried, or had it done) to fix yours? I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thanks.