The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor 1911 Maki-E Momiji, Is It “Modern” I.e. Screen Print?

sailor maki-e

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vonManstein

vonManstein

Themoldypeaches

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 19:06

I am tempted to buy Sailor 1911 Maki-e Momiji. I found one online for £400 which I think is a great price if its real maki-e. On the other hand, if its modern maki-e it would be a bit of a ripoff.
Does anyone know what type of makie it is?
Currently inked: Kaco Retro, Pilot Elite Cross Hatch, Pilot Elite 95S, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Montblanc 149, Wing Sung 601, Sailor Reglus. Inked with: J. Herbin Perle Noire, Sailor Jentle Blue Black, Sailor Kiwa-guro, Kaweco Pearl Black.

Sponsored Content

#2 Paperlate

Paperlate

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 15:54

I think there has been more than one Momiji 1911L over the years so a link would be helpful. But if it is the one Im thinking of that was released several years ago along with the dragonfly, butterfly, and one or two others - it is hand applied maki-e and not stenciled. Further, I think it is signed by Kousen Oshita who has a workshop with at least three artists working under his direction so think of it more as a collective rather than the individual artists signature. Oshita has done maki-e for Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, and Visconti among others. I have two examples of his work and they are beautiful.

#3 vonManstein

vonManstein

Themoldypeaches

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 20:06

I think there has been more than one Momiji 1911L over the years so a link would be helpful. But if it is the one Im thinking of that was released several years ago along with the dragonfly, butterfly, and one or two others - it is hand applied maki-e and not stenciled. Further, I think it is signed by Kousen Oshita who has a workshop with at least three artists working under his direction so think of it more as a collective rather than the individual artists signature. Oshita has done maki-e for Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, and Visconti among others. I have two examples of his work and they are beautiful.

Thanks. Oshita designed this maki-e. It’s advertised as Sailor Maki-e MOMIJI, AUTUMN LEAVES,
10-4052-440 is the product code
Currently inked: Kaco Retro, Pilot Elite Cross Hatch, Pilot Elite 95S, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Montblanc 149, Wing Sung 601, Sailor Reglus. Inked with: J. Herbin Perle Noire, Sailor Jentle Blue Black, Sailor Kiwa-guro, Kaweco Pearl Black.

#4 vonManstein

vonManstein

Themoldypeaches

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 20:10

Thanks. Oshita designed this maki-e. It’s advertised as Sailor Maki-e MOMIJI, AUTUMN LEAVES,
10-4052-440 is the product code

I have found one on eBay for £233. That’s very cheap for real maki-e

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|