A Word On Sailor Nibs

TheDutchGuy

... or one can carefully beat the nib into submission, getting it to write as desired while still enjoying the look and feel of the pen body.

Said another way, the pens I use least are finicky pens and I want no regrets or indecision as I ink a pen.

Yes, you could do anything to the pen since it's yours, Hello Kitty fans can paste some stickers on the cap and barrel too.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDutchGuy

• Bo Bo Olson

• minddance

• nibtip

Thanks to all for your shared experiences. This is a most interesting difficultious and "harsh" subject.

Other determining factor that influences writing experience:

The choice of ink (Sailor inks are usually wet to very wet- not always excessively lubricated- thus appropriate to Sailor pens).

Another one being the choice of paper. Not the same experience between Tomoe, Clairefontaine, Midori and others. Forget cheap for skinflints, it is beyond my mortal comprehension.

Also writing with pressure increases harshness. One is not supposed to use a fountain pen like a mace or a hammer.

Edited by inkking

It has been an interesting read, Sailor is a printer's pen, well designed for the small Japanese printed script, it appears, even more so than Pilot.

Not a first choice for cursive it would appear.

Aurora is the European pen that is famous for it's toothy/pencil like feeling. It is also the thinnest Euro nib, close to the wider Sailor nibs from my reading. It is though a cursive nib.

Sailor has a wider standard than Pilot, a fine Japanese poster told us.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It has been an interesting read, Sailor is a printer's pen, well designed for the small Japanese printed script, it appears, even more so than Pilot. Not a first choice for cursive it would appear.

It's likely that the nib geometry was designed with Japanese characters in mind. It's obvious that many FP friends will prefer a smooth, forgiving nib for large, fast, cursive writing. However, many people worldwide prefer Sailor pens, not just people who have mastered Asian characters. I am one of those people. When at work, I'll probably use a Kaweco, a TWSBI or an old Sheaffer Targa or Parker 51, simply to be able to write at speed and still enjoy the experience. When journaling at home, nothing beats a Sailor. A Sailor forces me to slow down, which is good, since life is too hasty already (which is one of the reasons I love fountain pens). A Sailor forces me to concentrate, which is good, since life is often too fleeting and superficial. As said, it's like a Porsche 911 Turbo - the car drives its driver as much as the driver drives the car.

Case in point is the Pro Gear Slim Ocean 14k H-MF that I bought today, unplanned. Went to the store to buy a pen case, this Sailor was put in my hand, and it's just.... magical. But that's for another thread :-) .

Sailor has a variable geometry nib depending on the angle at which it is held with the paper.

This is certainly the case with the Sailor zoom nib, but I've not been able to detect this with my own Sailor nibs (two H-M nibs, the nib in my Cross Peerless 125 and a H-MF nib).

Edited by TheDutchGuy

This is certainly the case with the Sailor zoom nib, but I've not been able to detect this with my own Sailor nibs (two H-M nibs, the nib in my Cross Peerless 125 and a H-MF nib).

With a KOP H-B nibH

post-135914-0-97507400-1541869835_thumb.jpg

MF, M & B nibs for sure have zoom characteristics. I can't see it with F nibs, but maybe it's there, I don't have calipers or anything to really measure a possible line variation.

Is that Sailor KOP? I prefer my Hello Kitty pink :)

Had to get the KoP because my sticker was too big for the smaller models. Had to keep it matchy-matchy. Pink wasn't going to work.

gorgeous kop!

If anyone has such a Pro KOP that they don't like, I'll happily accept it. Xmas will soon be here :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

If anyone has such a Pro KOP that they don't like, I'll happily accept it. Xmas will soon be here :D

+1. I will paste Santa Claus stickers over it.

Good points: make sure you're on the sweet spot, and check your expectations.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell