The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Danitrio Densho Feed Gets Misaligned Easily

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EDR1633

EDR1633

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:21

I have noticed on a recently purchased Danitrio Densho that the feed, which has a flat bottom which lines up with the flat edge of the section, can go in a number of different ways over perhaps 10% of the 360 degree range. I think its because the flat part of the feed is about a mm longer than the flat part of the section such that there is enough margin for some rotational play. I've gotten pretty good at lining it up well enough that the nib doesn't go in crooked vs the feed, but I somehow feel this shouldn't be needed in a pen that is worth over $1000.

Do the other Danitrio pen owners here notice the same sort of behavior?

Please see my home-grown paint job in an effort to illustrate.

Attached Images

• feed_section_densho.png

Edited by EDR1633, 09 November 2018 - 06:22.

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:09

I had a Densho like that. It happens.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 MalcLee

MalcLee

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:54

With my Takumi, the feed came misaligned with the nib. There seems to be a QC issue going on with Dani nibs.

#4 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 16:34

These are Bock nibs. Nothing to do with Danitrio. They just buy the nibs off the shelf and fit them into their pens. I personally find that Bock nibs can vary quite a bit in terms of quality. If I were to buy a Danitrio pen, I would only purchase it from my favorite brick and mortar story in Asia. That's because the sales person would spend the time to adjust the nib so that it writes well. I have about 4 Danitrios and each of their nibs require extensive adjustments.

Edited by gerigo, 07 January 2019 - 16:35.

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 20:03

There are a number of Bock nibs (I've looked at their wholesale offerings....I'm sure they put more info out to those who want to buy 5,000 nibs.)....some cheaper than others.....at least 5, not counting the titanium. So 'uneven' quality could well be comparing better with cheap.

Some pen companies don't want to put the best nib on their pen....their bookkeeper told them lesser was better for the bonus.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#6 MalcLee

MalcLee

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 22:10

These are Bock nibs. Nothing to do with Danitrio. They just buy the nibs off the shelf and fit them into their pens. I personally find that Bock nibs can vary quite a bit in terms of quality. If I were to buy a Danitrio pen, I would only purchase it from my favorite brick and mortar story in Asia. That's because the sales person would spend the time to adjust the nib so that it writes well. I have about 4 Danitrios and each of their nibs require extensive adjustments.

Hi gerigo, I'd like to challenge your assertion that althought these nibs were made by Bock - it cannot have nothing to do with Dani Trio as it's not a pen that retails for 20-25 bucks. If I were to slap an external nib onto my own product at Dani's price point - I'd like my customers to be happy with their purchase. But in anycase - I'm gonna reach out to the seller if anything could be done for that misaligned feed.

There are a number of Bock nibs (I've looked at their wholesale offerings....I'm sure they put more info out to those who want to buy 5,000 nibs.)....some cheaper than others.....at least 5, not counting the titanium. So 'uneven' quality could well be comparing better with cheap.

Some pen companies don't want to put the best nib on their pen....their bookkeeper told them lesser was better for the bonus.

That's a real concern if their book-keeper actually said that ! ie crappy nibs for the sub - $3000 pens.

#7 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:31

Very few companies make their own nibs. I have also heard the Danitrio nibs were made to order for them by Bock. Just like Visconti has Bock make their nibs.

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 00:14

$3,000 for a pen I've never heard of before......I'm glad to learn something new.... Many interesting pans, for after I win the lottery.

Urushi, does drive up the price.

A bit more info on Urushi than I've read before.

Why was not the problem pen returned for maintenance?

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#9 Mew

Mew

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 15:56

Danitrio's are riddled with problems. I talked to one of the retailers in Singapore (their biggest retailer from 2005-2009), and he just straight up told me to not buy their pens even though he had stock.

Sponsored Content

|