The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Flow Problem With Montblanc M Ultra Black

ink ultra montblanc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jporos

jporos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 21:20

Until now, I have been really happy with ink flow with my Montblanc M Ultra Black. I could pull out the pen and it would keep writing or sketching until I put it away. In the recent month or so, I am not so happy. I will pull the pen out, the ink will flow fine for several minutes, and then no ink will flow from the pen. I will usually have to violently shake the pen to get the ink flowing again. I have been using both Montblanc Mystery Black ink and Montblanc UNICEF ink and have experienced this behavior with both. I have disassembled and soaked the pen for about half an hour in filtered water between changing ink, but the behavior comes back. The pen gets used daily.

Do I need to soak the pen overnight, use pen cleaner, or does the pen need to go to Montblanc for service? Thanks for your responses. Here is a photo of the pen.

Attached Images

• Montblanc M-2.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 22:58

That's some beautiful pen!

Sorry to hear of the troubles. Very disappointing. No matter how good it looks, it's primary function must be as a writing instrument! Are you using cartridges? (I believe some people have put converters into the M pens, but I think MB is only selling it as a cartridge pen?)

It would be a shame to have to send it back to MB - and lose it for a few weeks. But, if it's still under warranty, I think that's what I'd do - along with a letter expressing my disappointment that a new pen should exhibit this behaviour, so soon!

If it's out of warranty, I'd go for the pen-flush, rather than pay for an expensive service to (basically) have it cleaned.

Good luck.

#3 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 23:04

Until now, I have been really happy with ink flow with my Montblanc M Ultra Black. I could pull out the pen and it would keep writing or sketching until I put it away. In the recent month or so, I am not so happy. I will pull the pen out, the ink will flow fine for several minutes, and then no ink will flow from the pen. I will usually have to violently shake the pen to get the ink flowing again. I have been using both Montblanc Mystery Black ink and Montblanc UNICEF ink and have experienced this behavior with both. I have disassembled and soaked the pen for about half an hour in filtered water between changing ink, but the behavior comes back. The pen gets used daily.

Do I need to soak the pen overnight, use pen cleaner, or does the pen need to go to Montblanc for service? Thanks for your responses. Here is a photo of the pen.

Not sure if this helps, but I had a similar problem with the same pen (skipping, inconsistent flow). Ive sent the M to a nib expert and the diagnosis - in my case - was that *the most obvious possible cause of the skipping is easy to sort, the tips were about 0.5mm apart, about 5 times the maximum where a pen works reliably* . On a general note, he added that *I see a lot of both Starwalker and M pens for work on flow and nib work, usually for being dry, inconsistent and hard starting....the nib/feed combination is a pain generally*.

Now my pen writes correctly, with a consistent flow and no skipping. I use a MB Royal Blue cartridge.

Edited by A1979, 08 November 2018 - 23:05.

#4 dubhe

dubhe

Away at Sea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:23

I had one that was a year old with the same problem. I took it to a boutique in London earlier this week and they swapped it for a new pen. Problem solved, but not quite sustainable.

#5 jporos

jporos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2018 - 16:08

Thanks for all of the replies! Since the pen is a little over a year old, maybe back to Montblanc is the way to go. I hope this is not endemic to this pen because I really enjoy using it and was looking forward to using it for years to come.

#6 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 00:54

Maybe it needs a good cleaning? Thats a good place to start. Flush it several times with water and a drop of mild detergent, then fill it with water a few times and keep the nib face down on a paper towel so that the ink can leak out slowly.

Also, if you have a loupe then it would be a good idea to check the tine spread - if it is too wide this might make the pen a super wet writer but sometimes it means the feed wont cope up with the ink demands of the nib and it will stop writing for a few seconds before re-starting.

#7 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:58

It could simply be paper fiber build up. A few quick swipes from a brass sheet should fix it in a jiffy.

#8 jporos

jporos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 14:34

It could simply be paper fiber build up. A few quick swipes from a brass sheet should fix it in a jiffy.

Could you point me to some instructions or a video showing how to do this fix correctly?

#9 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2018 - 16:34

This link has the product and some videos. Personally, I went to the local hardware store to grab a brass sheet. It was a while back, so it could have been a hobby shop. But it is cheaper just ordering from here I think. Hope this helps.

https://www.gouletpe...=11884650463275

#10 jporos

jporos

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:39

This link has the product and some videos. Personally, I went to the local hardware store to grab a brass sheet. It was a while back, so it could have been a hobby shop. But it is cheaper just ordering from here I think. Hope this helps.

https://www.gouletpe...=11884650463275

Thanks 88, I think I will try a more thorough cleaning and flush first before messing with the nib.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, ultra, montblanc

Sponsored Content

|