The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Problems With New Esterbrook W/ Mv Converter & Vintage Nibs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 markh

markh

Shaded Writing

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 20:16

I have one of the new Esterbrook (Estie) - a nice looking pen, all black with gold clip. But of course I bought this to use with the MV converter and my pile of vintage Esterbrook nibs. I wonder if anyone has gotten the combination to work?

The vintage nib screws in just fine, but is starved for ink. The problem seems to be that modern (plastic) feeds have a tab at the back the slips into the converter, to allow capillary action to get ink to the feed. If you point a full converter down, no ink will flow out.

Vintage Esterbrook nibs are flat at the back because they are in contact with the end of the sac filled with ink. If you point a vintage sacked Esterbrook pen down with the nib removed, ink will flow out.

So no ink flows from the converter or cartridge into the back of the vintage nib. If I unscrew the nib, the back of the feed is completely dry.

Once the initial ink in the feed (from the bottle fill) writes off, nothing.

Seems to me that this could never work, but maybe someone has figured out a way.

thnx,

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

|