The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Too Many Planners?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ayrinoodles

ayrinoodles

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:46

Do you use more than one planner? If yes, where do you use them? In my country, coffee shops usually do promotions where you collect "stickers" (1 drink = 1 sticker) and then you can redeem free planner after a certain number of stickers. I feel like I'll acquire more than 1 this year and I want to use them and have more paper time in 2019. Any ideas how I can use may 3 planners? Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 14:40

One for apts. One for major projects which need to be broken down into significant steps, one for daily to do lists

#3 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 15:24

I use a small daily planner not for planning but to record a “Word of the Day”. I find a word that’s new to me, write out the definition, then try to find interesting examples of usage. I also note down a few synonyms & antonyms. It’s a fun way to write more & learn at the same time.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#4 bass1193

bass1193

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 15:41

I use a small daily planner not for planning but to record a Word of the Day. I find a word thats new to me, write out the definition, then try to find interesting examples of usage. I also note down a few synonyms & antonyms. Its a fun way to write more & learn at the same time.

What a great idea!

#5 ayrinoodles

ayrinoodles

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:01

One for apts. One for major projects which need to be broken down into significant steps, one for daily to do lists

This gives a lot of options. Thank you!

#6 ayrinoodles

ayrinoodles

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:02

I use a small daily planner not for planning but to record a Word of the Day. I find a word thats new to me, write out the definition, then try to find interesting examples of usage. I also note down a few synonyms & antonyms. Its a fun way to write more & learn at the same time.

This is a great idea. I am looking for things to write all the time. Thank you!

#7 jamwrite

jamwrite

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 13:53

I use several for different parts of my life and work -- but also based on size, convenience, and even the season. For example, I have a couple different ones that go in my wallet that are super portable. But I vary that by how intense my schedule is or even the weather.

For example, during the summer I often use a smaller one in a smaller wallet (Field Notes size or A6 size). In the winter, I use a larger one in a larger wallet (B6 slim size or Hobo Weeks size). Or when I'm in the middle of a big project that has lots of detail to track, I might rotate in a larger weekly version to keep track of lots of notes. But in less-busy times, I rotate in a smaller monthly version.

It may seem like a lot, but over time it's really become very comfortable and natural for me to rotate through the different sizes for different purposes. It actually really helps me, but it might be overkill for someone else's approach. Then on top of all that I have a larger master planner. Another benefit for me is that I also like to have backups, and I only like having the info I need at the time... i.e.: I don't like carrying around details from a project I completed 3 months ago. Sort of like backing up and archiving computers on multiple hard drives. I use multiple planners and it spreads the load and simplifies things for me. :-) But everyone is different, right?

#8 ElinMS

ElinMS

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 18:39

I have two Rhodia Goalbooks open all the time: one is for work, the other is for personal tasks, notes, random quotes, etc...  These have over 220 pages each so they last a good long time; my work notebook usually goes faster - I eat up 2 or 3 of them in a year.  My personal one usually lasts most of a year.

I always keep a little Leuchtturm1917 (A6?) dotgrid notebook in my bag so I always have note paper handy should I forget to bring my Rhodia with me that day...  I'm an absent-minded professor with a serious case of C.R.S. and I'd be lost without it.

Edited by ElinMS, 09 November 2018 - 18:42.

#9 bogiesan

bogiesan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 16:15

Back when I cared about such things, I found the topic of time management nothing less than fascinating. The company I worked for had tremendous success with the Franklin Dayplanner method They would buy the system for me if I attended four, four-hour training sessions. I used that system successfully and with dedication for thirty years. ONe of the fundamentals is to have only one calendar. That simple idea, all by itself, was a career changer for me. Using a 6-ring looseleaf binder (sweet, leather, zipper) I eliminated the desk and wall calendars at the office, the fridge calendar at home, the crumpled pocket calendar I never used, my address book, forward planning calendars, project tracking schematics and notebooks, and several other paper-based functions. They all went into one centralized location that was always in my possession. The note taking functions were indispensable; I always knew what was said and by whom in meetings.

Things got complicated as the company moved to computer0based clandaring and scheduling systems and I had to adapt.
I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

#10 ElinMS

ElinMS

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 16:45

Back when I cared about such things, I found the topic of time management nothing less than fascinating. The company I worked for had tremendous success with the Franklin Dayplanner method

I was using Franklin Dayplanners as recently as 3 or 4 years ago until I hopped on the "bullet journal" wagon.  I had a Filofax for a while too.  I got tired of having to buy new refills and have them all formatted for me; I wanted to be able to setup my own system.  I like the Rhodia goalbooks (and any similar dot-grid jounral) much more than any of the pre-formatted planner systems; they're simple, straightforward, and I can customize them as I choose.

The two reasons I have a separate journal for work and personal are: 1) My work notebook fills up rapidly, and 2) I'm a very firm believer in separating work matters from personal matters, and never the twain shall meet.  It's bad enough I work at home :)

Edited by ElinMS, 11 November 2018 - 16:48.

#11 TaylorJ

TaylorJ

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 22:31

Oh gosh. I kinda live for my too-many-planners...The thing is, I tend to have notebooks/planners for each of my projects, so I probably have 10-15+ notebooks that are on "active duty" right now, but I only carry around/use daily maybe 5 of them. 

I used a Traveler's Notebook for quite a while for EVERYTHING - journaling, planning, note-taking and brainstorming all in one place - but I've recently switched over to the bullet journal thing, just a very simple version, and am moving away from the TN system.

At this very moment I have a bullet journal in one notebook, TN for personal journaling, one project notebook, and one regular lined notebook for practicing my handwriting. 

Lately my planners are in a state of flux. Let me get back to you in a few lifetimes when I've sorted them out...  :lol:

-Taylor

#12 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted Today, 07:11

I have always used planners and notebooks of various sizes and formats.

Some years ago, I found an ideal format both in term of size and choice of paper.

I decided to get two of them, one personal that fills up quickly and one for everyday projects that need to be lighter and better organized.

That system also works well in conjunction with electronic calendars.

Paper set up is wonderful for note taking but lacks the ability to send alarms, the reverse is true for electronics.

Edited by Anne-Sophie, Today, 07:11.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Sponsored Content

|