How Do The Modern Montblanc Nibs Compare With Modern Pelikan Nibs?

Jip

I'm thinking of getting a Montblanc Le Grande (146) and am wondering about the nib sizes.

Let's say I like a modern Pelikan M400 F nib, then what nib size would I use with Montblanc.

I know the modern Pelikan nibs run a bit wide, how about the Montblanc nibs?

Thanks in advance.

Latest addition:  Montblanc LeGrand 146 Calligraphy Flexible Nib

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jip

• Uncial

• dbs

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience is that they are quite similar in terms of line width. Pelikan fine nibs tend to have a small bit of tooth, but it's really very small.

I think you'll still be happy with a 146 in Fine. In my experience the Pelikan nibs aren't as much wider than other company F's as you'd be led to believe by reading some of the posters on FPN. I have as much variation between the different F nibs on my MB146s and 149s as I see between Pel and MB...

different ink, different paper, how heavy handed you are are all factors in line width. I've seen some heavy handed writers make their F nibs put down nearly B lines :o

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I have 2 Legrand F and 1 M800 F. They are identical in line width. The width on paper should around 0.7 to 0.75mm -- You can use proper Rotring rapidgraph to calibrate the width.

The main differences of two nibs are the smoothness and flex. Although Montblanc claims their nibs are all rigid, the nib is much flex than regular Pelikan's, close to Pilot 823 nib but far less flex than Pelikan M101n. If you want as rigid and roughness as M800's, you will be disappointed, or vice versa.

There are too many confounding variables to make a conclusive statement - paper, ink, and even just simple variation between individual nibs. I have a 400 Fine that writes like a 146 Medium. But that doesnt mean they all do. There is some variation between nibs - they arent as consistent as one might expect.

Since you are about to buy an expensive pen, I suggest you try it out in a store.

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I like the flex of the Pelikan M200 nibs, and the smoothness of the M400+ nibs.

I think the MontBlanc nibs sound like the best of both worlds. Of course I'll go try one out in a store and bring my Pelikan for comparison. There is a MontBlanc store close to me, as is a high end pen store which has basically every pen one could imagine (I'm not kidding) including some 100K+ pens (not my thing, and not within my budget haha.).

Thanks for all the help!

I like the flex of the Pelikan M200 nibs, and the smoothness of the M400+ nibs.

I think the MontBlanc nibs sound like the best of both worlds. Of course I'll go try one out in a store and bring my Pelikan for comparison. There is a MontBlanc store close to me, as is a high end pen store which has basically every pen one could imagine (I'm not kidding) including some 100K+ pens (not my thing, and not within my budget haha.).

Thanks for all the help!

You lucky dog!! Zurich sounds like fountain pen Heaven. Do the Swiss use fountain pens a lot?

You lucky dog!! Zurich sounds like fountain pen Heaven. Do the Swiss use fountain pens a lot?

Many europeans do in general, we all learn to write with one in school.

I went to a store and tried a few MB.146s The one I likes and almost bought then had a scratch on the cap... so I left the store without a pen... I walked 100 meters and entered the Montblanc store, tried two and walked out with a 146 with F nib in Platinum Edition.

Couldn't be happier!

B3A62417-13D9-4FD3-9EAD-8E31285D2109.jpe

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations! The 146 in Platinum is a beautiful pen.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.