Which Naginata Togi Width Will Produce A Medium-Broad Western Line At A Normal Writing Angle?

a.zy.lee

I'm just concerned that a MF will be too fine for me and M will be too broad. Of course, I'm aware that the width varies by angle.

I'm wondering what will produce a medium-broad line (or regular broad) at a ~45 degree writing angle.

I'll be using the nib for everyday writing and I tend to prefer medium nibs on the broad side.

Side question: I've heard that the naginata togi nibs have a very subtle architect nib effect. How true is this in your experience? This was quite true when I tried an NM, but I haven't tried the NMF.

Edited by a.zy.lee

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a.zy.lee

• Polanova

• A Smug Dill

• ENewton

I have the finest one: NMF which produces what in my mind is a western M-line.

It might be a bit on the broad side, but I`m not sure.

You`d need either the NMF or the NM.

I recommend looking for writing samples on the net.

My NMF does not have an architect nib effect, subtle or otherwise :)

Mine is the MF and I find that it is way too thick, even with the nib held vertical

I was hoping for an architect type nib as well, but it is entirely too broad and wet for that.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Mine is the MF and I find that it is way too thick, even with the nib held vertical

I was hoping for an architect type nib as well, but it is entirely too broad and wet for that.

Do you have a photo of your nib/writing? There seems to be a lot of variation for the naginata togi

The NFM nib is kind a of more subtle Zoom nib -

M (or M+) at regular angle,

B (or B+) at very low angle,

XF at 90° and

F on reverse.

I have a Naginata Togi NMF nib and it produces a much broader horizontal line than vertical line. I think this is the architect nib character you are referring to. But unlike an architect nib which has a very narrow window, the NMF can be held at any angle - more like a blade Turk grind by Mark Bacus. My NMF yields a fine vertical line and medium-broad horizontal line. It is also very wet. Its one of my favorite nibs.

The NFM nib is kind a of more subtle Zoom nib -

M (or M+) at regular angle,

B (or B+) at very low angle,

XF at 90° and

F on reverse.

So when you write with the pen, do you find yourself constantly changing the angle?

I tried one once, and it seemed to me that I'd have to practice a lot to be able to use it with ease. Maybe my problem was that the person who let me try his pen said the experience should be something like writing with a brush, but it isn't at all; with a brush, it is bad form to change the angle from an upright position.

When I write with it I don`t change the angle.

I only change the angle if I draw with it, as it can be useful to have more than one line width.

For the brush-feel I use my incredibly smooth NAG Cross Point :)

When I write with it I don`t change the angle.

I only change the angle if I draw with it, as it can be useful to have more than one line width.

For the brush-feel I use my incredibly smooth NAG Cross Point :)

Thank you for the clarification.

I have a Naginata Togi NMF nib and it produces a much broader horizontal line than vertical line. I think this is the architect nib character you are referring to. But unlike an architect nib which has a very narrow window, the NMF can be held at any angle - more like a blade Turk grind by Mark Bacus. My NMF yields a fine vertical line and medium-broad horizontal line. It is also very wet. Its one of my favorite nibs.

I also have a NMF and it demonstrates the same writing characteristics (broader horizontal line) and it's also one of my favorite nibs (if not my favorite). I've been tempted to try a NM nib but reviews of the nib haven't had the same architect quality which I really like.

I also have a NMF and it demonstrates the same writing characteristics (broader horizontal line) and it's also one of my favorite nibs (if not my favorite). I've been tempted to try a NM nib but reviews of the nib haven't had the same architect quality which I really like.

I haven't seen a single review of the NM. Can you link me to any?

Searching up #naginatatogi on Instagram got me some (rare) writing samples of the NM. Not a single one involves block caps to demonstrate it, but those I've seen have a subtle architect effect. When I tried the NM in a store a few years ago, there was definitely an architect effect

Edited by a.zy.lee

Ditto.

And/or line width. It is my understanding that NMF is 0.6.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/250700-sailor-1911-profit-large-naginata-togi/?p=2765347 

Also,fpn_1542497679__google_search_results_fo

Some more Naginata Togi Medium nib/pen reviews and/or writing samples:

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Wow, thanks! I have no idea how you must have found those, that's some deep web stuff.

This sample: https://digital-camera.jp/?p=7440 does exhibit some architect effect though. The rest are a bit disappointing.

I'll share my stash of NM writing samples that I found on Instagram with the #naginatatogi tag, in case someone visits this thread in the future looking for reference:

Some of those exhibit the architect effect, some don't. There's some variance in bespoke nibs, which is to be expected.

Wow, thanks! I have no idea how you must have found those, that's some deep web stuff.

All I did was Google search for images using the search term of "長刀研ぎ" (naginata togi), and took it from there.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.