Service Interval Piston Fillers.

GriffinGH

Hi guys, I was wondering what the service interval would be with 146/149 models for "normal" use. Montblanc says every year, which would be a bit too much in my view. What's the average interval for fpn members?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• GriffinGH

• Honeybadgers

• penparadise

It depends on the ink you use. But generally one could say: the less you use a pen the more frequently service the pen needs.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I partially take apart my MB pens every 6months and lube the pistons. I have the tools to do so. I also send my pen in every few years if there are leaks or nib issues. This is for my 146s/149s/WE. I service my 344, 221, 34 or bring them to nibmeisters at pen shows.

Edited by SpecTP

But generally one could say: the less you use a pen the more frequently service the pen needs.

I fully agree with the above statement.

I tend to water flush my pens once every ~6 months (when in use) just to make sure there is no gunk build up on feed or piston.

The ones i am not using regularly (in storage): I just move the piston up and down a few times at least once every 2 months.

And before setting a pen for storage: it gets dissasembled (shown below), cleaned with destilled water, then dried. piston gets fully lubricated, then its fully clean and dry.

fpn_1541607214__apart.jpg

It depends on the ink you use. But generally one could say: the less you use a pen the more frequently service the pen needs.

Thats a very good point. Thanks.

Montblanc ink. Mainly black.

Piston lubrication once every five or ten years in my experience. I do this myself.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/290071-lubricating-the-piston-on-a-meisterstuck-149/?fromsearch=1

And welcome to FPN.

Cheers.

I fully agree with the above statement.

I tend to water flush my pens once every ~6 months (when in use) just to make sure there is no gunk build up on feed or piston.

The ones i am not using regularly (in storage): I just move the piston up and down a few times at least once every 2 months.

And before setting a pen for storage: it gets dissasembled (shown below), cleaned with destilled water, then dried. piston gets fully lubricated, then its fully clean and dry.

Good point about flushing the pen. I won't be greasing or servicing the pen myself, pretty sure i'll damage it.

Montblanc ink. Mainly black.

Cheers.

Good point about flushing the pen. I won't be greasing or servicing the pen myself, pretty sure i'll damage it.

Are you using mystery black or permanent black?

Mystery black is a trouble-free ink. The permanent black could be a different story.

Edited by meiers

Are you using mystery black or permanent black?

Mystery black is a trouble-free ink. The permanent black could be a different story.

Definitely mystery black. But if I understand the comments in this thread correctly I should flush the pen at least once every 6 months and have it serviced around every 7 years? I intend to use the pen at least once every two weeks if not more.

If you use it regularly and keep it filled, it will not require service for a long time. Sending it to Montblanc Service for preventative maintenance does not make sense because their most economical service (level 1) includes replacement of a defective piston assembly. That is why I lubricate the piston on my pens when necessary. If I dont succeed, Montblanc Service will take over.

Edited by meiers

Definitely mystery black. But if I understand the comments in this thread correctly I should flush the pen at least once every 6 months and have it serviced around every 7 years? I intend to use the pen at least once every two weeks if not more.

I agree.

+1

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I've had my 149 since the end of the 1970s. It hasn't needed any regular maintenance, but has had repairs done by Montblanc when something broke.

The 149 design hasn't really changed since 1990, but in many basic ways hasn't changed since they changed from celluloid to plastic in the 1950s.

What source said a piston-filler should be sent in every year for service?

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

None of my modern (> 1960s) Montblancs ever went for service other than repair of broken parts.

I've only added some vaseline (just as Montblanc does and requires in their internal service SOP) to one filler unit to make it turn more easy.

Cheers

Michael

Spend $20 on a piston tool from eBay. I did. The piston assembly is very simple and easy to maintain, you just need the wrench. It's no more complex than a TWSBI.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I only service as needed when the resistance of the piston head becomes too much for my preference. This is usually years but can be more. Some folks enjoy taking their pens apart fairly often, but I tend to let them be. To me the risk of damage from my disassembly efforts is greater than the marginal improvement in lubrication.

One thing no one mentioned explicitly yet is not to let ink sit in a pen until it dries. This will dramatically increase the chances it needs service and sometimes professional level restoration efforts.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I only service as needed when the resistance of the piston head becomes too much for my preference. This is usually years but can be more. Some folks enjoy taking their pens apart fairly often, but I tend to let them be. To me the risk of damage from my disassembly efforts is greater than the marginal improvement in lubrication.

One thing no one mentioned explicitly yet is not to let ink sit in a pen until it dries. This will dramatically increase the chances it needs service and sometimes professional level restoration efforts.

I agree wholeheartedly.

After the arrival of my piston removal tool I went through a phase of removing and lubricating pistons just for sport. Now I have found other things to do.

Edited by meiers

I concur - only remove it once a year at MOST as long as you didn't do something stupid like leave it inked and cap-off until it dried.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)