Stone Garden For $460 On Massdrop

katerchen

Free US shipping, no sales tax for most states.

It's a bit over the limit for me, but I know there's a lot of interest for the pen and this is the lowest price I've seen so far.

-k

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• A Smug Dill

• bbs

• Gloucesterman

Wow this pen went to massdrop awfully fast!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

$60 cheaper than Cult pens. :thumbup:

Great for those who don't need it in a hurry.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

British buyers will be able to find it cheaper, taking Customs charges into account.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

British buyers will be able to find it cheaper, taking Customs charges into account.

How and where?

Cult with their ongoing 10% discount, the delivered price is £428 (same price for EF nib too).

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Massdrop is charging $50.00 more for the EF nib, I believe. I wonder why they do that?

How and where?

Cult with their ongoing 10% discount, the delivered price is £428 (same price for EF nib too).

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Massdrop is charging $50.00 more for the EF nib, I believe. I wonder why they do that?

A lot of retailers do, EF tax. :D

With Cult offering 10% off, Massdrop is no longer a deal worth bothering.

The delivered cost with Cult is $465 and that is applicable to the EF nib too. Fast delivery and tested prior to dispatch.

Engineer :

I have purchased from Cult Pens several times and have had wonderful experiences, great pricing and excellent shipping from the U.K. to Massachusetts location. even if it were a few dollars (pounds) more, I would go with them before Massdrop.

Just a GREAT experience!!

No affiliation of course!

A lot of retailers do, EF tax. :D

With Cult offering 10% off, Massdrop is no longer a deal worth bothering.

The delivered cost with Cult is $465 and that is applicable to the EF nib too. Fast delivery and tested prior to dispatch.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I have purchased from Cult Pens several times and have had wonderful experiences, great pricing and excellent shipping from the U.K. to Massachusetts location. even if it were a few dollars (pounds) more, I would go with them before Massdrop.

Just a GREAT experience!!

No affiliation of course!

:thumbup:

Massdrop does have great deals but, unfortunately, not in this case.

Cult is the only UK retailer NOT charging an EF tax, AFAIK.

Engineer :

How and where?

Fritz Schimpf is selling for 416 (about £364) and there was no postage charge on my order (although I was also ordering another pen too, so not 100% sure of if this would apply for just the Stone Garden but I would imagine so). Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Fritz Schimpf is selling for 416 (about £364) and there was no postage charge on my order (although I was also ordering another pen too, so not 100% sure of if this would apply for just the Stone Garden but I would imagine so).

Great for UK buyers. :thumbup:

As for US buyers, I am unsure if German retailers deduct VAT like UK retailers?

If yes, US buyers get it for $397 (unsure if Intl. shipping is free). :o

Engineer :

As for US buyers, I am unsure if German retailers deduct VAT like UK retailers?
Stefanie Kahl of Fountainfeder told me, in answer to that same question, 
yes there will still be 19% MwSt charged to it. In Germany we have to charge it to every order , unless it is a Business to Business Transaction. Since our shop is only Business to customer the MwSt is Always included.
I'm sure £357 ≈ $640 delivered is an awesome price for that pen, especially with an EF nib, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much (or even half of that) on a piston-fill model. Of course I'm talking in AUD, as that is my local/default context, just as Canadians would be talking in CAD and Americans in USD when just using the unqualified dollar sign as the currency symbol. I did spend over $300, once, on a piston-fill of a brand with which I'm familiar: Sailor. The pen is still sealed inside the plastic sleeve in the same state as when it left the factory, several months after I've received the product. That shows me just how much I like and how much use I have for an expensive piston-fill pen. Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hmmm, now that I've seen the Vibrant Orange M600, I am tempted... but thank heavens it is somewhat see-through (which I don't like), and more importantly, from what I've read the Pelikan EF nibs aren't even necessarily finer than Lamy F nibs (which are too already broad for my liking). More money saved towards future purchases of Platinum and Sailor pens!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hmmm, now that I've seen the Vibrant Orange M600, I am tempted... but thank heavens it is somewhat see-through (which I don't like), and more importantly, from what I've read the Pelikan EF nibs aren't even necessarily finer than Lamy F nibs (which are too already broad for my liking). More money saved towards future purchases of Platinum and Sailor pens!

You can't beat Japanese pens for fine nibs, the European brands just don't cut it.

My experience is similar to yours.

Hence, as stated earlier, Japanese for 'Fine' and European for 'Broad'.

Engineer :

Stefanie Kahl of Fountainfeder told me, in answer to that same question,

yes there will still be 19% MwSt charged to it. In Germany we have to charge it to every order , unless it is a Business to Business Transaction. Since our shop is only Business to customer the MwSt is Always included.

I had feeling that might be the case, hence my reservation. :thumbup:

Engineer :

As German retailers do not deduct VAT, the price for US buyers is similar (provided Intl. shipping is free from Fritz).

$465 from Cult and $472 (excl. EF nib) from Fritz Schimpf.

Since Fritz levies EF tax, Cult will be the cheapest.

For UK buyers, Fritz is the cheapest even with EF tax (the diff. will be negligible if you do not get free shipping from Fritz).

Engineer :

There's also a seller on FPGeeks that is selling the Stone Garden for $450 (shipped).

Ah that would be Denis. I think he has it up here as well. Fine fellow. Bought a Stresemann and some inks from him at very good prices.

• 2 months later...

I see La Couronne du Comte has put the Pelikan Souverän 800 Stone Garden fountain pen onto its list of current specials overnight. For buyers outside the EU, that's €347.11 ex VAT with free international shipping (but only for F and M nibs; there is a hefty EF nib 'surcharge'). Some of you will know where to find a standing 10% site-side discount code associated with a well-known reviewer of pens and inks; that brings the effective total price to €312.40, which just creeps in under A$500 for Australian buyers with today's currency exchange rate.

Not my cup of tea as far as pens go, but some of you might be interested.

(That said, I now have four 'expensive' piston-fill pens either at home or on its way to me in the post, including a Pelikan M600 Vibrant Orange. The Aurora EF nibs write beautifully, if pushing the edge of what I consider too broad; I wish Aurora made more top-end models with cartridge/converter as the filling mechanism! As for the Pelikan, I ended ordering one from Dan Smith on the basis that he'll grind the nib to my exacting and possibly quirky specification, so it'll no longer have the 'characteristics' or the uncertainty of Pelikan EF nibs.)