Hero Has A Line Of Proper Inks Now

Honeybadgers

Well that was unexpected.

THEY ARE ALL STILL LEGIBLE. EVEN YELLOW. HOW.

Orange and yellow look nearly washed away and I'm sure a good soaking might ruin them forever, but I ran the paper under the faucet for 30 seconds and everything is still perfectly legible. They all moved, black is definitely not "waterproof" but it's still very much there.

Dark blue, blue, sky blue, blue black, dark green and light green are basically all still over 80% goood. Blue black seems nearly waterproof.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• WJM

• mke

• bass1193

When is show & tell (a review) happening?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Probably not until winter break. I have the writing video with blue up.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

On aliexpress I see several options for a bottle that looks blue, but I’m not sure which blue it is because I can’t read labels.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

On aliexpress I see several options for a bottle that looks blue, but I’m not sure which blue it is because I can’t read labels.

I had the same problem & finally opened a window from Honeybadger's post showing his Hero inks upon arrival & kept an Aliexpress window open simultaneously; I believe I isolated his preferred "blue" thru process of elimination from the color of the caps on the Hero inks. I also found that after frequent "refreshes" the bottles on Aliexpress eventually offered English translations, when viewing them for choice. If I recall correctly, you are choosing between 3 blues, a blue black, blue & sky blue.

I have no idea if I selected the "right" one but I thought I did by comparing the two window screens while choosing.

I had the same problem & finally opened a window from Honeybadger's post showing his Hero inks upon arrival & kept an Aliexpress window open simultaneously; I believe I isolated his preferred "blue" thru process of elimination from the color of the caps on the Hero inks. I also found that after frequent "refreshes" the bottles on Aliexpress eventually offered English translations, when viewing them for choice. If I recall correctly, you are choosing between 3 blues, a blue black, blue & sky blue.

I have no idea if I selected the "right" one but I thought I did by comparing the two window screens while choosing.

"blue" is #3.

Thanks both of you. I went back on mobile and now I see English captions.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

• 1 year later...

Encoured by Honeybadgers' praise of the color I bough the new 2019 Hero "Blue" (standard blue - not Dark Blue).

And I have to agree, the color of this ink is beautiful. Pretty deep and also rather dark, without the purple-ish accents present in your typical "blues" like Waterman Serenity or Pelikan Royal Blue.

Here's a sample (the scan makes it looks brighter than it really looks on the paper).

heroblue.jpg

EDIT:

One interesting thing I forgot to mention is that this ink has a very peculiar smell. I have used very cheap Hero inks before which are infamous for their chemical odor. This one on the other hand has a very sweet smell, kinda like an aroma oil for baking...

Edited by WJM

Despite these inks being quite cheap and released for a while, I see no reviews of them in our reviews section :( Does anyone who owns them want to make some? :) I have Blue, Coffee, and Sky Blue in my eBay cart. How have these inks performed in your pens over time?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I got another one of these inks - "Dark Blue". I ordered in in January. I am way less impressed with this one than with the previous "Blue".

Hero "Dark Blue" is a typical royal blue, very similiar to Waterman Serenity Blue or Pelikan Royal Blue. There's nothing wrong about it, but I can't see any reason to order this ink from China when you can get one of the above in every stationery store.

img-20200514-085813-hdr.jpg

Yesterday I got another one of these inks - "Dark Blue". I ordered in in January. I am way less impressed with this one than with the previous "Blue".

Hero "Dark Blue" is a typical royal blue, very similiar to Waterman Serenity Blue or Pelikan Royal Blue. There's nothing wrong about it, but I can't see any reason to order this ink from China when you can get one of the above in every stationery store.

img-20200514-085813-hdr.jpg

But maybe for half the price?

Not really.

I ordered this "Hero Dark Blue" for $5.82 for 40 ml bottle, so $0,15/ml.

As I look for it now on eBay it's $9,50, so $0,23/ml. It's worth noting that these new Hero inks got more expensive.

Waterman Serenity Blue is sold in 50ml bottles. The price on Amazon is $11,29 ($0,22/ml), on eBay the price varies up to $18,99 ($0,37/ml). Plus shipping.

Anyway, where I live I can buy Waterman Blue for ca. $8,30 in a stationery store (no shipping cost), so $0,16/ml. Less than I would pay for Hero ink now. Little more than I paid for it a few months ago, but I think the delivery time from China - even in normal circumstances - makes is worth to pay this difference and buy the good, old Waterman.

Pelikan Royal Blue is about the same price, sometimes cheaper than Waterman (Amazon: $12,43/62,5ml = $0,20/ml).

For more interesting comparison we could also mention Diamine. The price in their official store for Royal Blue, or one of many other Blues is ca. $12 including shipping within Europe ($13 with shipping outside Europe). Which gives... 0,15/ml. On eBay I found it for ca. $16 shipping worldwide included, so $0,2/ml.

Now this is interesing, isn't it? These new Hero inks actually got more expensive than Diamine inks...

All of this may of course vary, depending on where you live and what can you get in your local stores.

This of course only touches the issue of the price, which isn't the only one or even the most important one in this hobby. But personally I don't find this "Hero Dark Blue" worth the price (especially the new one) and delivery time. It's not that it's a bad ink, it's that good alternatives are much closer.

Edited by WJM

This of course only touches the issue of the price, which isn't the only one or even the most important one in this hobby. But personally I don't find this "Hero Dark Blue" worth the price (especially the new one) and delivery time. It's not that it's a bad ink, it's that good alternatives are much closer.

Price is very important for many of us. Thank you for the comparisons.

Once Hero 232 blue black became more popular, its price went up also. I used to use it exclusively as my blue black. But no more!

Price is very important for me as well. But there are people willing to pay way more for an ink.