So Far - Simply The Best .

old4570

Well , there is this one pen that has been inked for a very long time .

It is not factory stock - A few minor things have been changed .

The NIB was changed and a O ring was changed .

This pen has been inked for several months now .

It has gone without use for over a month .

It has never failed to start - has not dried out .

Has not leaked or burped .

That pen is the Moonman m2 .

It has a medium Jinhao NIB installed and a new thicker 0 ring just behind the feed .

I really should buy another . ( I only have the one )

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bass1193

• old4570

• mke

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you change these things?

If yes, please report details of your procedures and show close-up photos. Thank you.

e.g. which Jinhao nib - from which pen did you take it?

Jinhao NIB = Sold separately on Ebay , if mem serves was from a 5 pack of NIB's

Yes , I changed these things .

The original NIB was horrendous .

The original O ring did not want to go back correctly , twisting all over the place . So was replaced .

Pictures - Yeah , I can do that

IGP8213.jpg

IGP8215.jpg

The NIB / Feed . ( Just pulls out )

There is a screw in tube that they fit into that the O ring goes into the back off .

There is actually no need to remove this . I made the mistake of removing it .

And as a result the original O ring did not go back correctly - forcing me to replace it with something that was easy to get in correctly .

You cant see the O ring because it is under the threads and the O ring and ink are black .

Jinhao NIB is a Ebay purchase and was part of a 5 Pack of NIB's .

To replace the NIB pull out the NIB and Feed ( carefully ) , can be tight .

Then just align the new NIB with the feed and press back ..

I like to use a towel between me and the NIB / Feed so I can push it back hard without the associated pain .

I have ordered another m2 , so might document things a little better as I will probably replace the NIB .

I ordered a few 99c Fountain pens along with 3 new NIB's .

Spent about $20AUS on FP's ( oh dear ) .. Might be the rainy day we are having .

NIB is a 0,5

To some that is medium and to some fine (?)

To me a 0.5 is a medium .

Would love to get my hands on 0.7 Jinhao NIB's or even 1.0 NIB's

Edited by old4570

Thank you.

I didn't know that they sell #5 Jinhao nibs separately. If you find the link to the seller of the nib, please tell us.

The linked nibs are no Jinhao nibs.

Jinhao #6 are many available but not the Jinhao F as in your pen.

And exactly these I would like to get.

I found bicolored Jinhao F nibs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232581621246

and silver-colored Jinhao EF nibs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332581581953

As I need something to play, I ordered them.

Ah, good old jewelrymathematics to the rescue. My favorite seller before I found Bobby, but I still buy from them too!

Edited by bass1193

Ah, good old jewelrymathematics to the rescue. My favorite seller before I found Bobby, but I still buy from them too!

What's with Bobby ?

I've seen the Ebay adds from time to time ...

Bobby tuned or modified ?

Who is Bobby and exactly what does Bobby do ?

What's with Bobby ?

I've seen the Ebay adds from time to time ...

Bobby tuned or modified ?

Who is Bobby and exactly what does Bobby do ?

Bobby is the person behind the office_supplies_pen eBay store, and also has an Etsy store (ChinesePen). He's not always the cheapest, but I've found his product quality to be pretty consistent. He seems to be a fountain pen enthusiast, too, so he has an interesting range of products, and does his own customisations (I think?) to some of the pens and nibs he sells...

Bobby is the person behind the office_supplies_pen eBay store, and also has an Etsy store (ChinesePen). He's not always the cheapest, but I've found his product quality to be pretty consistent. He seems to be a fountain pen enthusiast, too, so he has an interesting range of products, and does his own customisations (I think?) to some of the pens and nibs he sells...

Thank you ,

Anyone out there have a Bobby customised pen ?

As Jamerelbe said, Bobby is office_supplies_pen on eBay, as well as ChinesePen on Etsy. He also does his own nib mods and sells them, as well as many interesting stock pens. His shipping is the fastest from China by far! Not affiliated at all, just a very satisfied customer.

I almost disrupted this thread with more exhortation, and apologize for going on as long as I did!

Thank you ,

Anyone out there have a Bobby customised pen ?

I ordered one of his "Architect Grind" nib - which has less horizontal-vertical line variation than the architect nibs I've had custom ground by fpnibs.com, but for less than half the price. It's a #6 nib that fits in a lot of pens... I have a Jinhao 51A "with Bobby Handmade Grind Nib" on its way to me right now, too - but can't comment on it till it arrives!

I have a Jinhao 51A "with Bobby Handmade Grind Nib" on its way to me right now, too - but can't comment on it till it arrives!

I got one of those too 😄 it's an awesome deal, at only $8 US, especially considering its flawless writing! Mine is super smooth and tuned perfectly. It puts my stock 51a's to shame, and that's already a shockingly good $2 pen.

@bass1193

What makes your good $2 pen worse than the $8 pen?

Sometimes I'm craving for facts.🤔

I have the Bobby 51A too, and it's amazing. It's a very smooth waverly nib. It made me like hooded nibs ... I ordered a few customised nibs to replace the original ones on 618, etc. An excellent surprise.

What makes your good $2 pen worse than the $8 pen?

Sometimes I'm craving for facts.🤔

As much as I love Bobby's specialized version, I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They're very different.

The stock 51a is a traditional Chinese fine nib, which is what I prefer to write with generally. It is far better than the average Chinese pen marketed to the Chinese though, I'd wager! Everything about this pen is fantastic, except in the plastic versions (note, different than the new acrylic barrels which follow the wood barrel base). So I vote wood and acrylic barrel varieties that have a nice somewhat heavy metal connector making for a nib heavy, fine-nibbed pen that's a joy to experience. These continue Jinhao's awesome (in my experience) nib and converter performance.

Bobby's pen, on the other hand, seems tuned to western audiences. Bobby has made his mark in taking awesome and affordable Chinese pens and making them fit what some westerners seem to like in pens. His mod of the 51a shows that in that the bent nib he's made writes wider and wetter, and that it writes perfectly out of his very good packaging perfectly. Though I personally prefer how Asian pens for Asian writing write (tongue twister?) I have to commend Bobby for his dedication to marketing Asian pens that conform to western tastes. He's cornered a market there, with the local connections to boot! Very well done!