The "blue" Lamy Ink

MatthewBachman

Just a random thought that I had, figured it'd be fun to get other opinions on this,

The default LAMY Blue ink. That free cartridge you get with Safari's and such, you know the one.

It's PURPLE. It is by FAR the most purple "blue" I've ever seen (I've seen "purples" that look more blue than this).

Please tell me someone else feels the same way. I really can't ever see someone looking at this color and going "Ah! Now that's the blue ink I want!"

Side Note: I do NOT dislike the ink, like many people. In fact, I actually rather like it! But I like it as a shade of PURPLE. PURPLE, PEOPLE.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• MatthewBachman

• 1nkulus

• Bo Bo Olson

I found it to be a washed out blue.

ETA: I find a lot of colors that other people think are the blue end of teal to be the green end of teal (or just green), so I know my eyes tend to run to the green side rather than the purple side.

Edited by LizEF

Okay, so here's a side-by-side comparison. I used various light blues, dark blues, purples and such. Some were fountain pens, some were roller ball, some were gel. No real need to specify which is which, I don't think.

The circled one on the bottom right is the Lamy Blue cartridge. Still looks like a dark purple to me, while for example the third from the left in the first row looks like a royal blue. The one directly above the Lamy Blue is also rather obviously more blue than purple. I dunno though.

post-145824-0-95059600-1541499905_thumb.jpg

Purple-ish blue.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Still blue. A redder blue than others but still blue. OP, I'm sorry but you are just one of those people who has a very narrow definition of blue on the blue/purple spectrum. Most people have a more expansive part they consider blue. It is what it is.

OP, I'm sorry but you are just one of those people who has a very narrow definition of blue on the blue/purple spectrum.

Eh, actually, I think I just have a much wider definition of purple than most people. Though, in this case, I suppose this has the same result!

If in doubt, try it out. This is one of those colors.

I would still recommend it to a 'blue' rather than 'purple' user. Any added color/tinge benefits is subjective.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

It looks different than the what ya get in the bottle...

+1

Engineer :

• 2 months later...

To me the blue cartridges look like a dark blue, but Pilot Precise Blue has a sort of purple-y tinge to my eyes.

Okay, so here's a side-by-side comparison. I used various light blues, dark blues, purples and such. Some were fountain pens, some were roller ball, some were gel. No real need to specify which is which, I don't think.

The circled one on the bottom right is the Lamy Blue cartridge. Still looks like a dark purple to me, while for example the third from the left in the first row looks like a royal blue. The one directly above the Lamy Blue is also rather obviously more blue than purple. I dunno though.

Interesting. I found that the cartridges I've gotten of Lamy Blue were definitely blue -- and, as LizEF said, a washed out blue at that.

I'm wondering if the ink has been reformulated since I got my Safari and LX -- because the color you show in your scan don't look anything like my experience has been (I think of Lamy Blue as being similar to Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa, only somewhat insipid, and was quite disappointed that it was included with my Dark Lilac Safari instead of the LE ink that went with the pen). And what you show in the scan looks nothing like that, being both darker and definitely, as you say, a more purple-blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looks pretty blue to me. I like to use my cartridges and never thought purple. Depending on how dry the ink gets it's different blue, but never purple to me.

Yours does look purple. I'll have to dig out a Lamy cart and give it another try to see how it looks. It would be nice to have an official Lamy bottled ink name to match what is in the carts.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Eh, actually, I think I just have a much wider definition of purple than most people. Though, in this case, I suppose this has the same result!

This is like a Beckett play! I say that's prettty blue to me!

Side note, a recent cartridge I got with a new Nexx from the Lamy store is a pretty vibrant color, unlike what I remember the ink as. They might have changed the formulation.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang