Fake/ Counterfeit Lamy's Dialog 3 Have Arrived

Waltz For Zizi

WATCH OUT, I just bought a fake Lamy Dialog 3. It was the white version.I have another one white and I can compare them. The fake one is a matte white, the seal that is supposed to be rubber is plastic, the nib is stiff (and probably not gold), the lines on the cap and barrel don't match up either between them, or with the clip, the twist mechanism is horrendous. And the cap has a notch where the real one doesn't. I'll try to post some pics. I hope I can get my money back, since it wasn't on ebay and I do not have any "protection". I'll try and contact the seller. Wish me luck. Link for pictures

https://www.instagram.com/hemianopsie119/?hl=ro

I'm editing this, because people seem to think a fake lamy Dialog 3 is so impossible, even though most of them don't even own one.

Differences from the original:

1.the pen is matte. There is no matte white model. Only a laquered one, which is shiny. ( Do you think Lamy would forget to laquer and polish a pen? Or is the pen polished after full assembly? Really!?!)

2.the clip is matte, not shiny

3.the material even though it's matte, feels rougher to the touch compared to a black matte lamy

4.the nib is stiffer than a lamy gold nib. Is like a steel lamy nib.

5.the yellow part of the nib is washed out compared to the real one

6.the twist mechanism barely moves

7.when taking apart the pen, and unscrewing the part that holds the nib, it also screws and unscrews very hard, like there is a lot of friction.

8.the clip of the pen barely opens and requires tremendous force, the real one opens triple as much with considerabile less force. The clip barely retracts when extending the nib, very imperceptible, a lot less than on the original one.

9.the lines on the cap of the pen do not align with the clip, or with the lines on the body of the pen, not even when the nib is entirely retracted

10.the cap part of the pen, has a cut out that you can see when the pen is unscrewed. The real one does not.

11.the convertor is different also. The turning knob is a matte plastic, not shiny like the original. The "germany" imprint on the knob is different, and the "lamy" one is inside the plastic, instead of raised like the original has.

12.the lines on the body of the pen are on the surface of the coating, unlike on the original where is under a coating of laquer

13.The "lamy" branding on the bottom of pen is slimmer than on the original

14.Also the cartridge included in the box of the pen is different from those that I have

15.the seller has got more than one of these white pens, all identical to this one.

16.the seal that protects the nib from drying out, is a plastic piece, instead of the rubber on the original.

..a poorly executed original pen?.. I don't think so.

Edited by Waltz For Zizi

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waltz For Zizi

• MatthewBachman

• bogiesan

• 1nkulus

That's certainly unfortunate, both for you and in general...

Out of curiosity, how do the twist mechanisms compare? Does the fake one show signs of looseness? Does the pen tend to twist open/closed a little on its own through momentum of other motions?

Best of luck on the refund.

That's certainly unfortunate, both for you and in general...

Out of curiosity, how do the twist mechanisms compare? Does the fake one show signs of looseness? Does the pen tend to twist open/closed a little on its own through momentum of other motions?

Best of luck on the refund.

The mechanism is very very very stiff. It barely moves, and not smooth at all.

The mechanism is very very very stiff. It barely moves, and not smooth at all.

Wow, that stiff, eh? What about total distance? Does the nib come out further/hide further in the barrel than the real one?

Thanks for the info, will definitely be on the lookout for these.

Wow, that stiff, eh? What about total distance? Does the nib come out further/hide further in the barrel than the real one?

Thanks for the info, will definitely be on the lookout for these.

The nib comes out just as much, maybe 0.5 mm less.

The pen came in box with all that it's supposed to come with (booklet, converter, cartridge and the steel cleaning part), and even with a Lamy branded paper bag.

My pictures are too big. I can't post them.

Try cropping or reducing the file size to 2mb or less.

Not denying your experience, but I'm amazed someone would try to counterfeit the Dialog 3 when there are much easier/popular options to go after. The retractable mechanism in the Dialog 3 is very intricate and it would be hard to produce something that passes for it even at a first glance. It seems like counterfeiters would be better off trying to clone the 2000.

Not denying your experience, but I'm amazed someone would try to counterfeit the Dialog 3 when there are much easier/popular options to go after. The retractable mechanism in the Dialog 3 is very intricate and it would be hard to produce something that passes for it even at a first glance. It seems like counterfeiters would be better off trying to clone the 2000.

Have you heard of a Dialog 3 matte white? And dont get me started on the qc of this pen, not even the al star is that horrible. I doubt lamy would produce such a monstruosity. Most of my penns are Lamy, so I know these pens. I personaly have another 3 dialog 3 pens, among others.

Jinhao has a copy of the Montblanc heritage 1912, so it's not so impossible.

The pictures work! You're right, the difference is rather blatent, even at casual glances.

Just checking, which is the fake? I can tell that they're different, but I don't know the D3 enough to know which is the real one.

The pictures work! You're right, the difference is rather blatent, even at casual glances.

Just checking, which is the fake? I can tell that they're different, but I don't know the D3 enough to know which is the real one.

The real one is the shiny one, on the right. There is no matte white lamy Dialog 3. Even the clip is matte on the counterfeit. The writing is also slimmer on the counterfeit. Edited by Waltz For Zizi

How do you know that the faulty one is a fake? It might just be a faulty one.

The fake one isn't just faulty; it's made of entirely different materials.

The fake one isn't just faulty; it's made of entirely different materials.

Yeh, I can see the differences between them, but I don't know if they are entirely different materials. They both look like some metal to me.

Well, this is not the first example of chinese pen with retractable nib (although this is also a fake pen). This is a my old post presenting a chinese pen with a mechanism similar to the Pilot capless:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/93260-found-a-chinese-capless/?p=915282&hl=genny&fromsearch=1&do=findComment&comment=915282

Alfredo

Edited by alfredop

My pictures are too big. I can't post them.

So, convert them. Not that difficult. Our Upload takes pictures up to 2MB.(although that makes showing them slow. Better is converting the pic a bit smaller)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

So, convert them. Not that difficult. Our Upload takes pictures up to 2MB.(although that makes showing them slow. Better is converting the pic a bit smaller)

D.ick

I already posted a link. See the first post.

How extraordinary. Of all the pens in all the world, this is perhaps the one I wouldn't have expected to be counterfeited. And yet, there it is! In which case, nothing is safe ...

Thanks, Waltz For Zizi

John