The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Would You Elect To Have Engraved On Your (Or A) Pen?

engraving inscription personalisation tasteless vandalism spoiling resale

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you choose to engrave on a pen? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you get engraved on a pen, and why?

1. Absolutely nothing! It's pointless / tasteless / uncouth. The very thought of it offends my sensibilities, irrespective of the price of the pen, and whether I intend for it to be resold one day. (7 votes [18.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

2. Nothing. I wouldn't want to jeopardise the resale value of the pen, regardless of whether I might enjoy the idea of having or using a visibly personalised pen while I own it. (5 votes [13.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

3. My name, of course, and nothing else. It's my pen, and I want everyone to know that at a glance. (5 votes [13.16%] - View)

4. My initials only, without disclosing my name to every stranger nearby when I write with that pen. Maybe someday it will end up in the hands of another person who shares the same initials. (5 votes [13.16%] - View)

5. Something to commemorate an achievement, event or occasion that is of personal significance. (4 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

6. The name of my business, or an organisation to which I openly belong, or an event that I or it organised. Why let an opportunity for marketing or self-promotion slip? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. The name of the recipient, because the pen will be a personalised gift to someone else, and not for my own use. (2 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

8. Only something graphic such as a logo, seal, my autograph, or at least a monogram. No plain text for me, thanks. (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

9. Nothing personally identifiable per se, but a motto to live by, or a proverb that bears remembering, a quote I find inspiring, et cetera. I want to see it every time I look at the pen or use it. (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

10. "So Say We All" or some such with (quasi-)religious connotation, or that alludes to scripture. Writing with a pen is meditation in motion, or akin to spinning a prayer wheel for me. (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

11. Some mathematical equation or formula that speaks to my intellectual pursuits. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

12. Something more unintelligible than the above to the average person. I like to talk in riddles and/or speak in tongues. (3 votes [7.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

13. Something else not listed above. (Oh, do share!) (4 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:25

... or insane nonsequitor like "I sometimes tape my thumbs to my hands to see what it would be like to be a dinosaur."

How about, "My hovercraft is full of eels"?

Edited by A Smug Dill, 06 November 2018 - 10:26.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Sponsored Content

#22 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:45

How about, "My hovercraft is full of eels"?

Excellent choice as well.

"May I please borrow your shovel?"

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#23 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2018 - 15:50

I have Sandy ~ Writer engraved on one, and then I wrote a book.

I have Sandy ~ poet engraved on another, and I wrote a ton of poems. 

Not all my pens are engraved (not all of them are engravable), but engravings can be inspiring. It comes down to choice. 

You wrote a book?  Cool!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#24 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:00

Toward the end of my first career, when I moved on from a position I held for 14 years, my boss presented me with a Y-O-L Grand Barley with my initials engraved on the cap.  It is meaningful to me but I'm not sure about whoever ends up with it next, unless one of my kids or grandkids keeps it.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#25 Luckyorlean

Luckyorlean

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:09

"No touchy!"

#26 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:24

"En boca cerrada no entran moscas."

"Un cocodrilo en cada pie."

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#27 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:23

I got a YOL Grand Victorian for my retirement after 34 years with the same company. Had my initials put in the cartouche area of the cap. My daughter has asked for this pen when I pass from this life, I know it will mean something to her, future generations meh who cares! 

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#28 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 12,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 19:26

I got a YOL Grand Victorian for my retirement after 34 years with the same company. Had my initials put in the cartouche area of the cap. My daughter has asked for this pen when I pass from this life, I know it will mean something to her, future generations meh who cares! 

For the sentimental value it will have for your daughter it is priceless.  Perhaps her children will think of her through that pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#29 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:46

I like how conid can engrave a spot that isn't visible to the layperson, like under the clip.

I have my mother's waterman Phileas. It's the pen I plan on taking my MCAT with. I don't need to have it engraved to know it and its story, nor would I to pass the pen's story along through life, but that's just me.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 08 November 2018 - 07:46.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#30 laverst1

laverst1

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:51

I bought a Parker 45 Flighter at a charity shop. It had the name of a doctor on it. I googled him and found his obituary. I then had my name and the year I acquired the pen engraved on it. It feels to me like this pen has a part of a story etched on it. Like tattoos!

#31 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,844 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:13

Like tattoos!

Exactly.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#32 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 13:35

While I normally wouldn't go for engraving, it might be fun to have one pen that had "mightier than any sword" on it.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#33 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 12,868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 21:15

While I normally wouldn't go for engraving, it might be fun to have one pen that had "mightier than any sword" on it.

That is a really great idea.

#34 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 5,276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 22:43

"It's a fountain pen"

Edited by praxim, 08 November 2018 - 22:44.

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

#35 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,023 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 22:50

"Buy your own"

"I'm a screw cap, dummy"

"Return me, or forever be cursed."

"My other pen is a Montblanc"

#36 two2tone

two2tone

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 23:53

"This end up"

with an arrow pointing to the nib.

#37 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• 1,689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:17

I have and value a Parker Vacumatic which was my grandfather's and has his initials. My mother remembers her mother using it when she was young. I also have and value my father's Sheaffer's Snorkel with his full name on it. It recently failed to fill, after a restoration about 20 years ago, so it will need some work soon. The Vacumatic was restored at the same time by the same person and it is going strong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engraving, inscription, personalisation, tasteless, vandalism, spoiling, resale

Sponsored Content

|