What Would You Elect To Have Engraved On Your (Or A) Pen?

A Smug Dill

What would you choose to engrave on a pen?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What would you get engraved on a pen, and why?

• Absolutely nothing! It's pointless / tasteless / uncouth. The very thought of it offends my sensibilities, irrespective of the price of the pen, and whether I intend for it to be resold one day.
    • Nothing. I wouldn't want to jeopardise the resale value of the pen, regardless of whether I might enjoy the idea of having or using a visibly personalised pen while I own it.
    • My name, of course, and nothing else. It's my pen, and I want everyone to know that at a glance.
    • My initials only, without disclosing my name to every stranger nearby when I write with that pen. Maybe someday it will end up in the hands of another person who shares the same initials.
    • Something to commemorate an achievement, event or occasion that is of personal significance.
    • The name of my business, or an organisation to which I openly belong, or an event that I or it organised. Why let an opportunity for marketing or self-promotion slip?
    • The name of the recipient, because the pen will be a personalised gift to someone else, and not for my own use.
    • Only something graphic such as a logo, seal, my autograph, or at least a monogram. No plain text for me, thanks.
    • Nothing personally identifiable per se, but a motto to live by, or a proverb that bears remembering, a quote I find inspiring, et cetera. I want to see it every time I look at the pen or use it.
    • "So Say We All" or some such with (quasi-)religious connotation, or that alludes to scripture. Writing with a pen is meditation in motion, or akin to spinning a prayer wheel for me.
    • Some mathematical equation or formula that speaks to my intellectual pursuits.
    • Something more unintelligible than the above to the average person. I like to talk in riddles and/or speak in tongues.
    • Something else not listed above. (Oh, do share!)

... or insane nonsequitor like "I sometimes tape my thumbs to my hands to see what it would be like to be a dinosaur."

How about, "My hovercraft is full of eels"? Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Honeybadgers

• inkstainedruth

• praxim

How about, "My hovercraft is full of eels"?

Excellent choice as well.

"May I please borrow your shovel?"

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I have Sandy ~ Writer engraved on one, and then I wrote a book.

I have Sandy ~ poet engraved on another, and I wrote a ton of poems.

Not all my pens are engraved (not all of them are engravable), but engravings can be inspiring. It comes down to choice.

You wrote a book? Cool!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Toward the end of my first career, when I moved on from a position I held for 14 years, my boss presented me with a Y-O-L Grand Barley with my initials engraved on the cap. It is meaningful to me but I'm not sure about whoever ends up with it next, unless one of my kids or grandkids keeps it.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

"En boca cerrada no entran moscas."

"Un cocodrilo en cada pie."

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I got a YOL Grand Victorian for my retirement after 34 years with the same company. Had my initials put in the cartouche area of the cap. My daughter has asked for this pen when I pass from this life, I know it will mean something to her, future generations meh who cares!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I got a YOL Grand Victorian for my retirement after 34 years with the same company. Had my initials put in the cartouche area of the cap. My daughter has asked for this pen when I pass from this life, I know it will mean something to her, future generations meh who cares!

For the sentimental value it will have for your daughter it is priceless. Perhaps her children will think of her through that pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I like how conid can engrave a spot that isn't visible to the layperson, like under the clip.

I have my mother's waterman Phileas. It's the pen I plan on taking my MCAT with. I don't need to have it engraved to know it and its story, nor would I to pass the pen's story along through life, but that's just me.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I bought a Parker 45 Flighter at a charity shop. It had the name of a doctor on it. I googled him and found his obituary. I then had my name and the year I acquired the pen engraved on it. It feels to me like this pen has a part of a story etched on it. Like tattoos!

While I normally wouldn't go for engraving, it might be fun to have one pen that had "mightier than any sword" on it.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

While I normally wouldn't go for engraving, it might be fun to have one pen that had "mightier than any sword" on it.

That is a really great idea.

I have and value a Parker Vacumatic which was my grandfather's and has his initials. My mother remembers her mother using it when she was young. I also have and value my father's Sheaffer's Snorkel with his full name on it. It recently failed to fill, after a restoration about 20 years ago, so it will need some work soon. The Vacumatic was restored at the same time by the same person and it is going strong.