Ahab: How To Increase Ink Flow?

NewPenMan

I have a fairly new Ahab which Ive cleansed of machine oil residue as many recommend, but which I have not heat set. Writing is fine until I begin to flex; railroading happens fairly soon, and I dont believe Im spreading the tines too much. I think the feed simply isnt supplying enough ink. Im writing fairly slowly when the railroading begins.

Is my next step to examine the position of the nib/feed? It looks to be exactly the same as my Konrads nib and feed position..neither of them have the same issues with railroading. Does heat setting address ink flow?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Edited by NewPenMan

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• torstar

• Bo Bo Olson

• BaronWulfraed

Many threads on that, in the Ahab is a teaching tool. You can take an extacto knife and deepen the channels..............you can cut off combs to increase flow.

You should look up the many threads, perhaps one will say cut off the back combs first, or if one should cut off the front combs.

Mine was a minority pen, it worked right out of the box.

Do soak the ebonite feed, that allows the ink to cling well as it feeds the nib.

There is the Ahab Mod, you can look that up....two half moons are ground out of the side of the nib, either by a round Swiss file or a Dremil.

That too you can look up to see where on the side of the nib to do that, and how deep.

Your Ahab is a (super)'flex' pen but it takes semi-flex pressure to flex it.....rapidly that becomes 'work'.

With the Ahab Mod, the nib becomes the first stage of superflex; Easy Full Flex and becomes a fun nib.

It will flex much easier and might well demand more ink than it is right now. So you will have to remove more combs, or deepen the channel even deeper.

Do take care not to cut your self........some have.

Might want to check out what inks are best for superflex nibs. Some don't RR as fast as others. Bound to be someone who knows.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Yes, NewPenMan, the first thing to do is to heat-set the pen. Use the hot water method, it is the easiest and most controllable method. There are good videos on YouTube and Goulet Pens that show you how to do this. Make sure you are happy with the nib and feed positions before you do the heat-set. If the nib and feed aren't up to snuff, well ... Then fill and try.

If you still aren't happy with the flow, think about inks and what ink you are using. Maybe try a different one, maybe continue with the same ink. I prefer Noodler's Black for use with the Ahabs. Never have seen any real flow issues with an Ahab. The Ahab is supposed to be a heavier, faster flow than the Konrad right out of the box.

As a last resort, read BoBo's text above and try his (drastic) remedies. I say drastic because most of his remedies will either work or destroy something. And recovery from an error with a carving knife is difficult to say the least.

Best of luck,

PS: Moving the feed backwards, so that more nib shows will usually decrease ink flow, forward should increase it.

Edited by Randal6393

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I didn't invent those 'drastic' "remedies" in Nathan himself ....every one said he said....pull out the Bowie.

And the new feeds are readily available...as part of the learn all about feeds schooling.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

thank you..these are all very helpful answers..I think that first, I’ll adjust the nib/feed a small amount to increase flow, then to heat set.

seems this ahab is in the neighborhood so I’ll proceed gently.

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

thank you..these are all very helpful answers..I think that first, I’ll adjust the nib/feed a small amount to increase flow, then to heat set.

NewPenMan,

Another thing to check first is to make sure the feed/breather tube is vented properly.

With the tube in place at the back of the feed, blow into it and see if it has good air flow: getting the nib submerged in a glass of water would help to see that bubbles come out of the top of the feed easily. Only when you have made sure that it's properly vented, then you can test for ink flow again, and proceed with "hard mods" if necessary.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

:thumbup: :notworthy1:, something 'new' or something I'd not remembered reading.....good idea.

If you develop a thing for them, you can probably buy a lot for cheap and experiment on them.

I had six at one time, destroyed all of them with tinkering, it was fun and no big loss to me.

Two worked well at purchase and the other four were lemons, the pen sellers pulled no punches about the quality when this model was foisted on us. :D

NewPenMan,

Another thing to check first is to make sure the feed/breather tube is vented properly.

With the tube in place at the back of the feed, blow into it and see if it has good air flow: getting the nib submerged in a glass of water would help to see that bubbles come out of the top of the feed easily. Only when you have made sure that it's properly vented, then you can test for ink flow again, and proceed with "hard mods" if necessary.

I thank you for that good advice, Seele

I thank you for that good advice, Seele

some people believed there was no such thing as a bad one, really cute and sweet....

some people believed there was no such thing as a bad one, really cute and sweet....

it is a good-lookin’ pen with a lot of fine attributes. At first I railed against its issues, but I’ve since embraced them..they’re opportunities..

I plan to get more, and probably some more Konrads and likely a Neponset along with plenty of fine Noodler’s ink...

it is a good-lookin’ pen with a lot of fine attributes. At first I railed against its issues, but I’ve since embraced them..they’re opportunities..

I plan to get more, and probably some more Konrads and likely a Neponset along with plenty of fine Noodler’s ink...

The whole concept broke my heart at the time. That doesn't happen often.... :D :(

I would have deeply enjoyed a big plastic banana yellow Arab fleet of half a dozen for kick-around, but they were mostly lemons.

I went to three stores in Toronto and the proprietors were practically giving them away to get rid of the stock back then.

One I was in tight with pointed out the 3 of the 20 in the display box that were okay... insider's tip...

Edited by torstar

I am reporting back to thank the suggestions-givers and to help others dealing with this issue.

I removed the nib and feed and gently cleansed both of any remaining machining oils, which I didn’t do initially because I was excited to use the Ahab! (I got the Carniolan Honey!)

I also changed the relationship between nib and feed position so that the feed now extends a bit further toward the nib tip - thereby increasing ink flow. This worked in a dramatic way.

I still get railroading, but far less, and it takes much more to get there. For now, I’m going to enjoy the vastly-improved inkflow before I make the feed extend a bit further yet.

I also have not heat-set the nib/feed. It appears not to need it just yet.

Plans to get more Ahabs and a spare flex nib or two and I want to try Dremelling out the half-moon shapes to increase the ease of flexing.

Thank you!

you can be our expert on Ahabs, a good extension of this hobby

other brands and makes on here have a cult following as well, I've been burned for a few $$$ failing to understand what they see in their interest

all in the fun of this :D

I will happily contribute what I learn but there are folks here who are *far* smarter than I am, and more skillful Ahab whisperers.

What I don’t get is: the Ahab doesn’t feel like a cheaply-made item. The parts fit together snugly from my experience..one Ahab looks about like another. I don’t get why the variance in experience people are having.

Maybe it’s that, while some pens have adjusting and setting done at the factory, the Ahab leaves it all to the end user and maybe when Bob says “I put the nib and feed in snugly,” it was with a different amount of force or technique as when Nicole does the same procedure?

Who’s ta know?

I will happily contribute what I learn but there are folks here who are *far* smarter than I am, and more skillful Ahab whisperers.

What I don’t get is: the Ahab doesn’t feel like a cheaply-made item. The parts fit together snugly from my experience..one Ahab looks about like another. I don’t get why the variance in experience people are having.

Maybe it’s that, while some pens have adjusting and setting done at the factory, the Ahab leaves it all to the end user and maybe when Bob says “I put the nib and feed in snugly,” it was with a different amount of force or technique as when Nicole does the same procedure?

Who’s ta know?

again, it went to the marketplace with a large portion of them clearly not in working order, it would have been a nice daily pen for use if it could work

it happens with pens and inks

Receiving a pen in which the reservoir seal is so loose that it won't draw water, much less ink -- needing to have an o-ring purchased at a hardware store, along with silicone grease (and getting that o-ring to go into the reservoir rather than rolling off the stem on the threads)... But is cheap enough that return shipping would have been a major %age of the cost of the pen.

Understood. I may have gotten lucky with the one I got a few months ago. Maybe Q/C has tightened up over the past couple of years?

Understood. I may have gotten lucky with the one I got a few months ago. Maybe Q/C has tightened up over the past couple of years?

you have a niche, run with it, I don't recall too many useful discussions on the Ahab over the last 3 years

are they still making them?

Edited by torstar