British Nib Called "astroid"

TomSch

Hi all!

After fixing problems with the piston I had to mention that the nib creaper had infected the iridium of that old nib. So I had to replace it by another. This one out of my repair and spare nibs box fitted best.

post-36671-0-08203700-1541364355_thumb.jpg

The imprints read:

in big letters "ASTROID" - beneath "F in a star with 5 edges" - then "Iridium Tip" - "85" and "England"".

This nib is English made, and I guess that "F" is not the nib's broadness. In my opinion the number "85" is similar to the Parker nib denomination "b" or "double b".

post-36671-0-27664500-1541364374_thumb.jpg

There are - quite astonishing - two further slits in the tines (orange arrow) as I know from calligraphy dip nibs. And this nib IS - as they are - very flexy!

Now I have a few questions in this context. Does anybody know something concerning the maker of these nibs? When were they made (I guess in the 1950ies)?

Thank You for reading (and perhaps sharing Your knowledge),

regards, Thomas

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomSch

• Honeybadgers

• Bo Bo Olson

• PaulS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gives me ideas for cutting flex slits into a jinhao nib with a jeweler's saw.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Don't know a thing.

Explain please how nib creeping infected your other tip.

Nib Creep is often an Ink problem.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

if this were a nib intended for calligraphy, then the F might well be a designation for fine, since calligraphy tips are mostly of a broader size than those for standard writing.

I can't see any reference in Steve Hull's book on the U.K. fountain pen industry, that refers to ASTROID. and looking at the colour it appears to have originally had a gold wash, so yes, agree an inexpensive nib.

Out of 800 plus f.ps. I have only one nib with side slits similar to this one (on a Waterman pen), and my nib is marked - WATERMANS - 18 cts. - 3 - FRANCE, and I'd suggest mine was c. 1950s, though being a bit thick it hadn't occurred to me that such slits were a feature of calligraphy nibs - I'd assumed this was something fashioned on a nib solely to provide a bit more flex.

sorry this is unhelpful.

Edited by PaulS

Hi.

O.k., here we go, "Honey".

post-36671-0-97034200-1541672034_thumb.jpg

post-36671-0-49135800-1541672043_thumb.jpg

post-36671-0-55539600-1541672052_thumb.jpg

Written on cheap copy paper, ink is "Swan - Mabie Todd - Kingfisher Blue".

@ Bo Bo: the old nib isn't up to date any more, it's gone it's way into the waste bin, which is emptied.

@ Paul: Another possibility I didn't think of! "F" may be a calligraphy fine. That may have been indeed a nib ment for a calligraphy pen, perhaps a cartridge one. Thank You. B)
And, of course, it surely was a cheaper one made of steel, covered with a thin gold overlay that's almost gone.

Regards, Thomas