Aurora Duocart, 2018 Edition?

Jerome Tarshis

Last year Aurora presented a new version of the 1950s 88 Duocart. It took only one cartridge, the current Aurora/Parker size, and current Aurora or Parker converters. Not Duo. Not a gold nib, either, but an excellent steel nib. The pen came in two color schemes: gold cap and burgundy barrel, or chrome cap and black barrel. I have the one with the black barrel.

At the time Aurora said the pen would be available for a limited time only. And today most dealers' Web sites say they are out of stock on those models.

Yesterday I found three seemingly new fountain-pen models, plus rollerballs to match, on a Barcelona Web site:

https://www.fontanapenna.com/shop/en/511-duocart-new

On a casual investigation I haven't found these anywhere else. Not even Aurora's own Web site. Does anyone know about what appears to be a 2018 iteration of the Aurora Duocart?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Burtelon

• Jerome Tarshis

• Mongoosey

• eharriett

Thank you for the link. The online advertisement is charming. Nevertheless, I find it strange that the pen seems to be offered by a shop in Barcelona but not by several major pen shops in Europe, and also seems unknown to Aurora's distributor in the United States.

Hi

Maybe you should consult Aurora Italia directly in case they explain something the US distributor doesn't know.

Cordial greetings :)

AURORA s.r.l.
Strada Comunale da Bertolla all'Abbadia di Stura, 200
10156 Torino

Tel. +39 011 273 4186
Fax +39 011 273 3352

I bought several pens in that web, it's serious web with very good service. Open only months ago but I'm happy with the service and product.

" A single dream is more powerful that thousand realities.! J.R.R.T.

Sapere aude! :happy:

Those look very nice!

It'd be pretty great if Aurora made the DuoCart a permanent part of their line up, though hopefully without any of the leaking problems of last year...

I agree Olga, I have inked mine twice (burgundy) and it always leaks from the hood around the nib. No idea how to fix either. I like the duo cart but not the leakage.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi

Well "fine-medium"...

I've ordered a Bordeaux fountain pen and rollerball pen set...
I'd like them all, but I don't have that kind of money.
I'm excited about this model.
Regards
M
Edited by Burtelon

• 3 weeks later...

I have been very curious about the Aurora duo cart. I’ve not purchased one, either vintage or one of these new ones. My tastes tend to lean more towards the vintage, but seeing these new colors for 2019 make this hard to resist.

Unless someone tells me the vintage versions are just magical writers compared with the modern ones..... :)

Oh, Burtelon, the link is dead, unfortunately.

I've never used or even seen the 1950s DuoCart. But I own the more recent version. In black Mine doesn't leak, the cap fits tightly (but doesn't post at all well), and the nib is a fine-medium that writes very, very well.

• 5 weeks later...

I've never used or even seen the 1950s DuoCart. But I own the more recent version. In black Mine doesn't leak, the cap fits tightly (but doesn't post at all well), and the nib is a fine-medium that writes very, very well.

I have one of the modern ones (purchased last month actually) in Black, it doesn't leak at all, agree the cap doesn't post well, but the medium-fine is an excellent writer. It has become one of my daily use pens.

More nib options might have made me pull the trigger. I love hooded stub nibs.

I'll stick with my vintage one. it only cost $70 and has a very soft 14k semiflex nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I bought one of the modern ones recently. It's utterly fuss-free, a good work note-taker, and the steel nib works well (better than some of Aurora's gold nibs, for what it's worth...). It's not packed with personality, but the packaging is nice and it's a comfortable, practical daily writer. Review with photos here: https://ukfountainpens.com/2019/07/25/the-aurora-duo-cart-could-just-be-a-modern-classic/

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

I agree Olga, I have inked mine twice (burgundy) and it always leaks from the hood around the nib. No idea how to fix either. I like the duo cart but not the leakage.

I have one of these too.

fpn_1567186430__p1150424-3_aurora_new_du

It's not exactly a leaking problem which affects it, it's a very tight air seal in the cap, so when you pull the cap off somewhat fast, the vacum that is created draws ink out of the nib...

Since I found out, I pull the cap off slowly and twisting it slightly, usually it avoids the issue.

Aurora could have drilled a hole in the cap to prevent this, but in such case the pen would probably have dried out much faster, while in my experience the pen writes first off even after several days unused (I have not tested longer periods).

It is quite a nice pen to hold, similar to a 51 but the barrel is slightly larger, even more comfortable.

It's a substantial pen, not meaning heavy, but you can feel the quality of the materials (no cheapy).

The steel nib is slightly springy and writes a western fine to medium line. Flow is rather wet and consistent.

I bought an aurora converter to go with it (it comes equipped with cartridges, but holds only one at a time - not a true Duo...).

In comparison with the former Duocart (for which it is now almost impossible to find the original cartriges even empty...) the nib is steel and so is the cap, but the writing experience is rewarding, unless you prefer very fine tips.

This is the older Duocart

fpn_1567187063__p1150491-3_aurora_duocar

(I'm actually considering to sell my second New Duocart, which is identical to the one in the photo, black/silver, new, boxed, has never seen ink, nor water, i.e. it is untouched in its box, but I would not recommend US residents to consider purchase as to my experience shipping costs to US are heavy, probably easier for me to sell in EU)

I'm a sucker for snap/friction-fit caps so the Aurora Duocart (modern) is very high on my list (possibly next pen).

The Parker 51's been on my list, I will get one, but I like how the Duocart has a more visible nib so it's easier to initially adjust.

I also like how the Duocart has a straighter and thicker section. For me that's very important.

It looks like a great workhorse. It looks like a great Parker 51 alternative.

Plus I really like that pen is lightweight unposted/uncapped.

It's not as flashy as other pens, but after examining the details it checks all my boxes ; )