Meisterstuck FP RB or BP

Waterman

Well you never believe what my Dad said yesterday. I was on the phone with him and we started talking about the pen he's gonna buy me and he said he won't pay for it if I bought a MB ballpoint because he said it wasn't worth it. He told me to just get the fountain pen, so that answers my question. But I will definitly consider trying other pens before making my purchase.

Thanks

Brad

For 2 years, my Stainless Steel BP was my everyday pen. I hate to be the one to tell you your dad is wrong, but it doesn't seem like you are buying an instrument to put on a shelf and gain value. For his to say that a MB BP "isn't worth it" is simply a statement from not knowing exactly what you are going to be doing with the pen. If it is a gift from him, all that should matter is what you are going to do with the pen.

Hot mustard was never meant for steak.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waterman

• meanwhile

• jmkeuning

• Allan

Well you never believe what my Dad said yesterday. I was on the phone with him and we started talking about the pen he's gonna buy me and he said he won't pay for it if I bought a MB ballpoint because he said it wasn't worth it. He told me to just get the fountain pen, so that answers my question. But I will definitly consider trying other pens before making my purchase.

Thanks

Brad

For 2 years, my Stainless Steel BP was my everyday pen. I hate to be the one to tell you your dad is wrong, but it doesn't seem like you are buying an instrument to put on a shelf and gain value.

A BP is just a tube; the bit that impacts writing quality is disposable.

For his to say that a MB BP "isn't worth it" is simply a statement from not knowing exactly what you are going to be doing with the pen.

What one tube can do, so can another. It's a bloody tube! How much simpler can this be?

- Jonathan

What one tube can do, so can another. It's a bloody tube! How much simpler can this be?

Unfortunately as well, that kind of logic can also equate to FP's as well. I, as well as many many others have cheap FP's that writes just as good as a $200 or more FP so "what one tube can do, so can another." It's all in what the individual gets out of the pen. At some point though (as seen from the tone of the above statement), it becomes less about what the actual implement is being used for and progresses into that oh so strange world of snobbery. The writer already stated that he didn't really want either an FP or a RB. :headsmack:

Hot mustard was never meant for steak.

K, well before we get into a heated argument here, I must say, I adore fountain pens, however I must admit that I do miss ballpoint pens too. At the shop where I will acquire my 146 has a price tag that isn't too far from the price of a 146 ballpoint at a Mont Blanc boutique. Now since the bp isn't much cheaper than the fp, wouldn't it be wise to get the 146 instead? Unless if I get the 146 BP and ask the guy to mb give me some free motn blanc cufflinks, I just might reconsider.

Has anyone ever bought a 146 bp or rb and sweet talked the guy to giving you a free pair of mont blanc cufflinks?

Thanks

Brad

Ahhh! I just have to weigh in on this.

I have a 146 and several vintage MB ballpoints (classic and several of the 280 and 380 levers). I also use the MB roller refill in several pens tho not a Montblanc.

IMHO, go on eBay and get yourself a classic black and gold lever ballpoint (280 or 380). You get the MB cachet in a vintage and TIMELESS design and have a durable pen that you can use in any student-type situation. I personally have always been a big fan of the MB regular ball refill. I recently tried the Yafa rollerball refill and its ok, but the regular MB ball is really quite a fine thing - particularly in either FINE or BROAD. The medium is nothing special, the others are better.

The rollerball refills dry out. I love the way they write when new, but they dry out fast. You go broke on the ongoing cost. There are FAR better rollers out there.

I love my 146 fountain pen but I paid $90 for it. Your aren't gonna get close to that today, even used. And I have never gotten the value out of it, because, frankly, I am scared to use it much. I have heard of the high repair costs on MBs. If I had it to do over, even at that price - I wouldn't buy it.

You like black and gold? The other way to go is, for the same money, get yourself a lovely Pelikan 200 or 400 set - ballpoint and fountain. You'll get a better and more durable pen, trust me, and some OK cachet.

But if you have to go Montblanc - there is no better way for you to go than a classic lever-style ballpoint. They last and last and the mechanism is just one of the best ballpoint designs ever.

MB ball refills can sometimes be found on closeout at Office Max etc. for $3 or so. When you find them, stock up. They keep for a long long time. I have about ten years stockpiled, which is good, as the current price hurts, even though they last and last.

OK, end of advice. Good luck!

Edited by J English Smith

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I was thinking of a bp though and maybe a fp when I get into university or something. But I still have a month to think about this so im all good.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it. You Mont Blanc fanatics are pretty nice guys. I respect that.

Thanks

Brad

The old lever action MBs are wonderful because you can grab one and flick ball out with one finger. Very smooth and different than a push button. Your pilot buddies will like it too. :rolleyes:

Happy hunting!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Yeh I guess you guys are right. But i's the meisterstuck ballpoint as fragile as the fountain pen and RB?

It's just like the (standard) fp and the rb made of Plexiglass. So the answer has to be: yes. If you really want a Meisterstück: buy one that's made from metal. These products are more expensive. So they are even more overpriced.

Hey Waterman.

Firstly, I think buying a Montblanc Meisterstuck is a wonderful idea. In my mind, Montblanc does make good-quality pens with classic, timeless designs. You should be proud to own one. My parents bought me a Montblanc Meisterstuck 145 fountain pen for successful completion of 1st year university, and I've never regretted my decision to ask for one.

On the subject of exactly what to buy...think about it like this -

- Ballpoints generally need more pressure to write with. This means that they will tire out your wrist and hand and fingers a LOT faster. If you use a ballpoint for really long periods of time, you might start developing blisters and calluses (I've seen them on friends' hands). You said you're a student, so I assume that as a student, you'll be doing a fair bit of handwriting. For intense, long-periods of handwriting, which might be demanded of a student, I wouldn't recommend a ballpoint pen.

On the other hand, ballpoint pens are generally CHEAPER and MORE DURABLE.

- Fountain pens require more skill to use. I personally believe that mainstream society has lost touch with what fountain pens are, and how to use them. Fountain pens are more expensive than ballpoints, because the nibs require very careful construction. They are more delicate than ballpoints and can be VERY suceptable to breaking. They are to be treated DELICATELY at ALL TIMES. On the other side of the coin - Fountain pens require little, if ANY, pressure, when writing. This means that you can write FASTER, for LONGER periods of time.

As a student myself, and the owner of a Montblanc, I would recommend that you buy a Montblanc Meisterstuck FOUNTAIN PEN. If you do as much handwriting as I think you will, or think that you do, then believe me, your hand will thank you when you use a fountain pen to take school/university notes. The smoothness and lack of pressure needed to use a fountain pen, which allows for faster and longer periods of writing would make it a better instrument to use when taking notes.

Protection of a Montblanc meisterstuck fountain pen (or any fountain pen), is pretty easy. Buy a leather pen-case (for anywhere between 1-4 pens), and store your fountain pen in there. Leather can be rather stiff and tough. This makes it a good material for protecting your pen against scrapes, dings, dents, scratches, bends etc etc.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

• 3 weeks later...

Great news everyone, I bought a Mont Blanc 164 ballpoint today at the toronto pen show for $75.00 it's only got light wear and tear but it was awfully nice for the guy from laywines to gimme that price. So now I've got a MB I can use for everyday and I'll buy the Mont Blanc 146 or 149 FP when I go to Hong Kong. But thanks again for all your wonderful comments guys, I greatly appreciate them.

Thanks

Brad

I believe you can also use a Fisher "Space Pen" refills and Yafa refills. Google on "mont blanc compatible ballpoint refills" for some idea of what's out there.

I bought my first MB when I was 12, using paper-route money. It's a model 149, and it's been giving good service for the past 28 years, and is currently on loan to my dad.

For my 13th birthday, I got a stainless steel MB "Noblesse" set, 4-color ballpoint and steel-nib cartridge/converter fountain pen. While I would never bring the 149 to school, even at college, for fear of theft or damage, I did make the mistake of bringing that stainless steel set. I dropped the FP on its nib in a stairwell in junior high in 1979, and stuck it away in a box somewhere (I still need to find it...), and the 4-color ballpoint was stolen off of my desk at work almost 20 years later, in 1998.

As others have said, take cheap pens to school and out and about. Get a nice Fisher space pen for flight use -- better yet, get two or three for flight-time, it's good to have a primary and at least one backup. My pens that have high sentimental value stay home most of the time except for special occasions, and get most of their use writing letters (and back then, love notes.. :))

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I;ve tried using the fisher space oen refill that fits in my jotter. I took out the plastic extension used for parker models and still it's to short for the 164. Wow, you were a lucky kid Kalessin, and my mom said i was spoiled.

Thanks

Brad

I like the Montblanc Meisterstuck RB. In fact that's what I'm using today.

I like gel ball pens even better than RB pens, but I don't know if Montblanc makes one. Also, not sure how a gel ball works on a plane.

I wouldn't get the BP, because I just don't like the feel of a BP, nor do I like the look of BP writing. If they stopped making them tomorrow, I wouldn't miss them.

Regards,

Ray

I like the Montblanc Meisterstuck RB. In fact that's what I'm using today.

I like gel ball pens even better than RB pens, but I don't know if Montblanc makes one. Also, not sure how a gel ball works on a plane.

I wouldn't get the BP, because I just don't like the feel of a BP, nor do I like the look of BP writing. If they stopped making them tomorrow, I wouldn't miss them.

I'd probably go for bp over rb because I'm a lazy person, so I rather just twist instead of having to twist and then cap or twist and then hold on to cap. I still don't understand what's the major difference between rollerball and Gel pens. I don't see much cheap rollerballs on the market but I do see a lot of gel pens.

Thanks

Brad

Yeh I guess you have a point there. But it's still a nice pen to carry around even if I'm too young for it. My second choice would've been a sheaffer valor. But I'm fond of pens that are very business like. I prefer pens either black with gold trim or black with silver trim so you see where I'm comin from?

Thanks

Brad

I sure do. If you love ballpoints, OK. Otherwise, enjoy! Use the pen you really love! And if you use it up, get another one, and use it. I bought a mint Lincoln from the heir of the original owner, who never used it because he was "saving" it. For what? For someone else (like me) to enjoy? A Mont Blanc rollerball is a great idea. So is a Waterman rollerball. Other fpn'ers will tell you their favorites. And if you "use it up," you can still fall back on a cheap bp, until you score a rb again.

Signed,

Been there, done that, wrote the T-shirt - Ken

I;ve tried using the fisher space oen refill that fits in my jotter. I took out the plastic extension used for parker models and still it's to short for the 164. Wow, you were a lucky kid Kalessin, and my mom said i was spoiled.

I believe Fisher makes specific space-pen ballpoint refills for MB.

I was a lucky kid in many ways... but I had to earn that stainless set by making it through the trauma of a Bar Mitzvah, including chanting in Hebrew and giving a speech that I had to write... B)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I'm weighing in late here, but for what it's worth:

I have had a Montblanc ballpoint for many years; it was a gift pen. I tried using it with a Montblanc broad ballpoint refill, but I don't like the line that ballpoints produce or the pressure I have to exert while writing. In the end, I hardly used the pen at all. Then I discovered that--as some have mentioned--Yafa makes a gel ink insert for the Montblanc. Now it's a pen I can carry and use. Of course, I still prefer my fountain pens.

On the issue of special applications, like flying in a plane:

I agree with everyone who advised that a Bic would be best suited to that purpose. My feeling is that you don't buy a fountain pen for specific practical applications. You get a fountain pen because you want a fountain pen. Once you have it, you find all kinds of reasons to use it.

Get the Mont Blanc fountain pen to enjoy at home, maybe at the library doing some research and for journaling. With your own money, pick up a Namiki Vanishing Point and have the convenience of a ball point/ rollerball with the benefits of a fountain pen!

Thanks

Brad

Fisher has a specific refill for the mb bp. It's not the one from your space pen.

Sue :D