Meisterstuck FP RB or BP

Waterman

Hi everyone, as some of you may know, I'm a student. For my birthday coming up this July, my parents will buy me a Mont Blanc. However, I'm not sure of whether to get the fountain pen, roller ball or ball point. Now you guys probably think I'm crazy right now not to get the fountain pen and trust me, I've thought about that too.

But this is the issue, I'm going into grade 11 and I'll be jotting down a lot of notes so convenience is a must. I'm also training for my private pilot license and my instructor said it would be best for me to not bring my fountain pens. So overall I want a pen that I can use for almost everything because at that price for a pen, I'm not going to buy it and not use it because that would just make me a snob. My problem with fountain pens are my friends think they're neat so they'll always want to try it, i've heard that mb fp's leak easily and fountain pens don't seem too practical for multipurpose use. My problem with rollerballs is that I just don't liek them. It's like a pet peeve to me, there's somethign about them that I don't like. However, if I were to consider it, I think the MB LeGrande rollerball version is actually very nice on the eyes and I do like how rollerballs glide over the paper so well. I've always liked ballpoints because of their simple design, just twist it and it comes out, much more efficient than unscrewing a FP or RB. However, ballpoints don't write as nicely and the LeGrand ballpoint isn't as smooth on the eyes as the RB or FP. Sorry for making this post so long but I want to make sure I'll use the pen considering how much I'm paying.

Thanks

Brad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waterman

• meanwhile

• jmkeuning

• Allan

Let them get you the Fountain pen and bring a bic to the plane or school!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

If you don't get the FP, definitely go with the RB. A lot closer to a FP than a BP. Heck, if you're going to be writing on an airplane, get a "51" Flighter! :P

Evan

Sheaffer all the way!

I have quite a few MBs and although almost all are FPs, I do carry a 164 BP every day. Since I have to use the pen in a variety of situations and on every type of paper known to mankind, and since I am forced to use carbonless copies that require a good deal of force, the BP was the way to go. While I do prefer RBs over BPs, the RB is just not as fast to whip out and start writing. The twist mechanism of the 164 is lightning fast one handed, just as fast as a clicker in my opinion.

Now of course I prefer FPs above the alternatives, but sometimes the job dictates the pen.

Allan

i've heard that mb fp's leak easily and fountain pens don't seem too practical for multipurpose use. My problem with rollerballs is that I just don't liek them.

So a fountain pen is not an option and you don't like rollerbal pens? The answer on your question is there: you need a ballpoint. In that case you're best off with a Bic Cristal or so for in the plane or at work and with a more expensive pen as a sign pen. However, it must be said that Montblanc ballpoint refills don't last as long and don't write as good as refills from Parker, Ballograf or Shaeffer. Maybe a different brand would be a better option for you.

I would not use a Meisterstuck anything in those situations, for two reasons:

1) they are not durable enough for that kind of use, and

2) they are not durable enough for that kind of use.

They are really nice pens, but just not durable enough [are you detecting a theme?] for use in high school classes and a generally active lifestyle. I would go for the fountain pen and keep it at home.

To say "Bic" is sort of to dump on the topic, but I would go with another pen to use in the situations described. I regard one-handed use as essential for any kind of vehicle operation (although I don't fly). I like pens that have some grip and a little girth. A Cross Townsend ballpoint is one I would recommend. They are pretty stout (even enough to use as a kubotan-type weapon), you can find refills at virtually any stationery store, and they are very presentable.

Scott

Edited by beezaur

I would not use a Meisterstuck anything in those situations, for two reasons:

1) they are not durable enough for that kind of use, and

2) they are not durable enough for that kind of use.

They are really nice pens, but just not durable enough [are you detecting a theme?] for use in high school classes and a generally active lifestyle. I would go for the fountain pen and keep it at home.

Agreeing that the M'struck is fragile, this might apply to MB rollerballs etc made out of the same "precious resin". Isn't the Skywalker metal? This might be the best option.

Oh, and if you're flying or doing anything else that requires intense concentration - don't distract yourself with a pen you have to worry about. Use something you don't mind losing, and carry a back up.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

Yeh I guess you guys are right. But i's the meisterstuck ballpoint as fragile as the fountain pen and RB?

brad

Comment removed

Edited by pakmanpony

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I want to make sure I'll use the pen considering how much I'm paying.

Or, how much your parents will be paying... but that's another matter isn't it?

Get the BP and replace the ink with the Fisher Space Refill.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Yeh I guess you have a point there. But it's still a nice pen to carry around even if I'm too young for it. My second choice would've been a sheaffer valor. But I'm fond of pens that are very business like. I prefer pens either black with gold trim or black with silver trim so you see where I'm comin from?

Thanks

Brad

I see where you're comin from. If this pen is going up in the air with you, I would get a pen with a push button; ie, can be operated with one hand.

I want my pilot to keep one had on the stick, not trying to post some crazy fountain pen.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Yeh I guess you have a point there. But it's still a nice pen to carry around even if I'm too young for it. My second choice would've been a sheaffer valor. But I'm fond of pens that are very business like. I prefer pens either black with gold trim or black with silver trim so you see where I'm comin from?

Thanks

Brad

Nothing wrong with a Valor either. The best thing you can do it to go play with some pens and see what you like, see what feels the best, has the smoothest action, has the best balance to you, and then make your choice. I have carried a MB 164 MB for almost two years now daily at work, dropped it onto every hard surface known to man, even off a ladder once, used the gold tip to jump start numerous computers and other than having to replace the refill, never a problem and only one serious scratch.

One thing to watch for if you grab a Valor, I have had two Sheaffer BP refills explode on a friend in the past year. I have to admit, this is the same guy who must have dropped half a dozen cel phones into the lake in the past few years so no telling what he is doing to them, but still. On the other hand, never had a problem from my MB refills and they are tied with Yafa as far as the smoothest refills I have ever used. Much smoother than Parkers (although the gels are not too bad).

Allan

I see where you're comin from. If this pen is going up in the air with you, I would get a pen with a push button; ie, can be operated with one hand.

I want my pilot to keep one had on the stick, not trying to post some crazy fountain pen.

Yes: I'd go with any cheap Parker compatible pen, and use Spacepen refills.

- Jonathan

Well you never believe what my Dad said yesterday. I was on the phone with him and we started talking about the pen he's gonna buy me and he said he won't pay for it if I bought a MB ballpoint because he said it wasn't worth it. He told me to just get the fountain pen, so that answers my question. But I will definitly consider trying other pens before making my purchase.

Thanks

Brad

Perhaps buying a used 149 can be a solution. Good luck on the purchase

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time