Advice On What Chinese Pens To Get - 25€

MCAntunes

Hello guys,

I have a 25€ budget to spend on a few pens.

I've been looking at the Kaco EDGE, mainly because I like the Lamy 2000 look and the reviews all seem to be good (10-12€).

Other one I've been looking at is the Moonman M2, due to being an eyedropper and I always wanted to try one (10-14€).

Do you think these two are good choices?

Finally, I'd like a cheaper pen, but there are so many I don't know what to get. I've looked at Jinhao (X750, X450, 51A (hooded nib)) but I don't really know what to get. What do you recommend for smallish hand that writes well for the price? 5€ max.

Thank you,

Miguel

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MCAntunes

• penzel_washinkton

• mke

• Mech-for-i

You didn't search this forum for information about these pens, did you.

There are several threads regarding to all the pens, including Moonman M2 and Kaco Edge.

1) There is a search box at the top right of this site.

2) Try e.g. "Kaco EDGE site:www.fountainpennetwork.com" on Google

Edited by mke

You didn't search this forum for information about these pens, did you.

There are several threads regarding to all the pens, including Moonman M2 and Kaco Edge.

1) There is a search box at the top right of this site.

2) Try e.g. "Kaco EDGE site:www.fountainpennetwork.com" on Google

Hi!

I actually read several reviews of both pens and both of them feed my needs as I like finer nibs and the reviews all seemed pretty positive.

But I'd like to have some input from other FPN members to see if there are better options for the money.

Thank you,

Miguel

Are those the only pens you are considering? Since you did not specify your requirements / needs from a pen it is quite difficult to recommend other ones.

With that budget you have a vast options at your disposal, pens like the Wing Sung 601 (main recommendation), Wing Sung 698 and cheape ones like 3008 are usual suspects.

There are also the PenBBS pens that is in your price range.

For smallish hand under 5 Euros, I would not recommend the X750 and X450. Get the Jinhao 51A, nice lightweight writer

Are those the only pens you are considering? Since you did not specify your requirements / needs from a pen it is quite difficult to recommend other ones.

With that budget you have a vast options at your disposal, pens like the Wing Sung 601 (main recommendation), Wing Sung 698 and cheape ones like 3008 are usual suspects.

There are also the PenBBS pens that is in your price range.

For smallish hand under 5 Euros, I would not recommend the X750 and X450. Get the Jinhao 51A, nice lightweight writer

You're right, I should have written my requirements. I'd like an everyday pen, lightweight and with a standard nib that could be easily interchangeable (exception made for the hooded nibs). I have a Platinum Preppy and a Penbbs 309 and I like them both.

I'll give a look to the Wingsung 601, thank you!

> I'd like an everyday pen, lightweight and with a standard nib that could be easily interchangeable

These "requirements" are not somewhat broad?

every Chinese pen is an everyday pen

there are no standard nibs

interchangeable with what - for most of the pens it is not known if they can be exchanged for another nib

Why don't you simply start with one pen - e.g. the Moonman 2 with an EF nib. You can't go wrong with this pen.

Don't rely too much on other people's opinion - one person likes a pen, another one hates the same pen.

I assume that nib interchangeability you mention is between sizes of nib width (EF, F, M etc) and for that, the Wing Sung 698 is more versatile since you can use Pilot nibs (ranges from EF to B) on the pen. There are also third party 698 nib sellers.

A Moonman M2 itself is also good mind you, even the Kaco Edge can be fitted with most number #5 nibs. All of them writes well

Well there's no such thing as a standard nib ... No.5 ( aka size 26 on Chinese fountain pen ) , No.6 , and even hooded nib got variations and not all no.5 fit on all no.5 ; ditto the same for others. I wager a part of that is in a part how and what you write ... and well ... since your need is for an everyday pen, smallish hand ( well I am myself Asian S size hand .. I guess I can relay ) and lightweight ... then my recommendation goes to

- Wing Sung 601 , 618 the hooded nib though is pretty much fine only, but various different nib from EF to the extreme calligraphy that write BBB can easily be sourced, if you want an easier to clean C/C hooded nib, then the new hero 616 Plus

- Hero 1506 , an all metal but not heavy weight pen, super smooth FM grind, C/C filling, and typical no.5 / size 26 nib, its slimmer than Pilot 78G but eaual length or

- Hero 5066, Lamy Safari style nib, pretty nice lightweight

- if the PenBBS 309 feel good to you then you might want to consider similar pen but smaller, like the Lingmo Lorelei or Delike New Moon / New Moon 2

- if clipless is OK with you , PenBBS 323 is a great pen and can be eye dropper modded ( basically silicone grease asked for only ), and even my Asian size S hand find it comfortable and others with much larger hand find that so too, one that use no.5 nib can be had with Fuliwan 016, or even slimmer ( but use delike nib unit ) Ivy Icy and Marupen

Wing Sung 698 is more versatile since you can use Pilot nibs (ranges from EF to B) on the pen.

Just noted that the B turned into an emoticon, what I meant was B (Broad).

(Can not edit the post anymore)

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a Jinhao 51A on eBay for 1,40, and I love it. It writes really well. My brother is not into fountain pens and asked me to buy him one.

If you want I can PM'you the seller from whom I bought: fastest shipping ever from China.

Edited by KyleKatarn

Good pens

Wing sung 601

Kaco edge

Wing sung 698

Moonman M2

Moonman Wancai mini

Moonman m100

PenBBS (all of them)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 3 months later...

JinHao Shark - fun little writer! About $2 from Goulet, lightweight, and in a number of fun colors. F nib. I also like having the shark fin as a bit of a rest when the pen is posted.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 3 weeks later...

25 Euro? I'll say try to get Penbbs 456. That's the best Penbbs model IMO and definitely one of the best Chinese pens. It's like $35 USD, not sure what's the exchange rate now, but I guess it's still in your price range.