Which first Pelikan?

mafiablues

In your opinion, which one is the best for a first Pelikan Foutain pen ?

- M200

- L5

- Celebrity

- Epoch

Which one write the best if we don't care how the FP look ?

Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• KCat

• Ray

• mafiablues

Although I've only tried the M200, after reading the forums when coming to a similar decision I'd have to say 90% of people would recommend the M200.

It's a great pen :lol:

I have a 200 and I love it. I have none of hte other 3 so can't compare. However, I also have a Pelikano (cheap school pen), and soon to get a Future. These are both <$15 pens from pelikan that write extremely well. I would doubt that you could go wrong in terms of writing with any pen you list from Pelikan.

I think the Epoch is a cool looking pen.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I'd choose the M200 without a doubt. Large capacity integrated piston filler, interchangeable nibs, not too big, not too slim, lightweight and looks good. The goldplated steel nibs are high quality, never had a problem with them and of course it's worth it to get one customized if you like.

Never lie to your dog.

I have a 200 and I love it. I have none of hte other 3 so can't compare. However, I also have a Pelikano (cheap school pen), and soon to get a Future. These are both <$15 pens from pelikan that write extremely well. I would doubt that you could go wrong in terms of writing with any pen you list from Pelikan.

I think the Epoch is a cool looking pen.

Have to agree that the Pelikan Future (they seem to run $15-$20 here in NYC) is a really good sturdy workhorse of a pen; I have a fine point one that I use at work, and it's a smooth steel nib, and starts up every time with no problem.

The M200 is a pen I'll never tire of. These days, everyone seems to be hung up on oversize and chunky pens, but our grandfathers would have preferred a 200 every time.

Ray

Ray,

In reply to part of the post.

For me any Pelikan smaller than a M800 is just too small a pen for me to comfortably write with for any length of time. I am not hung up on oversized or chunky pens but after about 140 different pens I find that there is more comfort for me with a larger pen.

And remember also that on average a person today is larger than a person even 2 generations back so they might have preferred a smaller pen but have held it in a smaller hand. ;)

K H

M200 is your best bet for a pen. My reasoning is that this is a solid pen with a GP nib that writes as smooth as some 14 and 18kt gold nibs. Also the nib for the 200 is interchangeable with the M400 and the M600. So if you are on ebay and want to spend a few dollers and upgrade your GP nib to a solid gold nib you can buy a gold nib 14kt or 18 kt for anywhere between 40 to 80 dollars.

This pen can grow with you especially when it comes to upgrading your nibs.

The M200 was my first Pelikan and since then, I haver become addicted to Pelikans!!

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

For me any Pelikan smaller than a M800 is just too small a pen for me to comfortably write with for any length of time.  I am not hung up on oversized or chunky pens but after about 140 different pens I find that there is more comfort for me with a larger pen. 

And remember also that on average a person today is larger than a person even 2 generations back so they might have preferred a smaller pen but have held it in a smaller hand. ;)

Yes, that's a fair point I hadn't really considered.

The rate of pen size inflation seems to have been accelerating, though; I'm waiting to see the time when you'll be able to get one that doubles as a walking stick.

Ray

Edited by Ray

Only have the M200, so can't comment on the others, but it is a great pen. One added point of consideration: awesome custom nibs are readily available in gold-plate or gold from Richard Binder - got one myself. Seriously sweetens the deal!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

For me any Pelikan smaller than a M800 is just too small a pen for me to comfortably write with for any length of time.  I am not hung up on oversized or chunky pens but after about 140 different pens I find that there is more comfort for me with a larger pen. 

Yes, that's a fair point I hadn't really considered.

The rate of pen size inflation seems to have been accelerating, though; I'm waiting to see the time when you'll be able to get one that doubles as a walking stick.

Ray

Ray,

I am by no means the champion of the overblown monstrositites that go for pens nowadays but there are some out there that are comfortable and pleasant to look at.

And don't forget some of the vintage Giant pens that do put even modern pens to shame in size.

Kurt H

Guest Denis Richard

<Highjack> Kurt's remark about people being larger reminds me of numerous visits to medieval castles... low doors, short stair steps, etc... a great way to feel that really, we do grow taller with each generation.</Highjack>

I only have M200s, but think they have a lot going for them - large ink capacity, great interchangeable nibs... pretty good looking too, I think.

Vanessa

<Highjack> Kurt's remark about people being larger reminds me of numerous visits to medieval castles... low doors, short stair steps, etc... a great way to feel that really, we do grow taller with each generation.</Highjack>

(drift)

but do you think our hands are really significantly larger? Low doors, etc were also not just about the height of the individual from what I recall reading, but also about the lack of engineering knowledge. Taller, wider openings were harder to stabilize.

I guess, I don't necessarily believe pen size and hand size are always related. hubby's fingers are short - but not thin. yet he likes very thin pens/pencils. daughter has loooong fingers, but also likes thin writing instruments. I'm probably about average (maybe a tad thin) and like smallish pens with medium widths. thin pens make me nuts.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

<Highjack>  Kurt's remark about people being larger reminds me of numerous visits to medieval castles... low doors, short stair steps, etc... a great way to feel that really, we do grow taller with each generation.</Highjack>

(drift)

but do you think our hands are really significantly larger? Low doors, etc were also not just about the height of the individual from what I recall reading, but also about the lack of engineering knowledge. Taller, wider openings were harder to stabilize.

I guess, I don't necessarily believe pen size and hand size are always related. hubby's fingers are short - but not thin. yet he likes very thin pens/pencils. daughter has loooong fingers, but also likes thin writing instruments. I'm probably about average (maybe a tad thin) and like smallish pens with medium widths. thin pens make me nuts.

Yes but also look at armor as well as furniture and you can see that there has been some increase in size of people over time. I'm sure with some internet digging we can get skeletal height data showing an increase.

But to come back to topic ( sort of) I havfe big hands and like big pens, they just feel more comfortable than a vintage Balance or Vac.

K H

Guest Denis Richard

I think the statistics is that we gain around 1/3'' each generation. If you have a chance, look at armours in museums. They are way shorter than your average today's human.

May be pen size is more related to finger aspect ratio. Long thin fingers may more easily grab and hold thin objects for a long time, while shorter stubbier finger might be more comfortable with thicker pens.

We need more data !! :D Measure your fingers and most comfortable pens people ! :lol:

Guest Denis Richard
Yes but also look at armor (...)

beat me to it... I was posting at the same time :)

ooooohh spooky. :eureka: :eureka:

I think it's a guy thing. When you realize that the fearless Knights were as tall you were in junior high, and that the banquets where held at coffee tables, sitting on Barbie chairs, it shatters some dreams :lol: