Righty Going Lefty

Inky.Fingers

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress! Thanks for sharing with us. Good luck!

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• torstar

• Corona688

• pajaro

It's much easier for us lefties to go righty.

I surprisingly and immediately found perfect penmanship right-handed on chalkboards and whiteboards with chalk and markers and used to do two math problems at once while tutoring, as well as effortlessly mirror writing the same sentence from a common starting point.

Block letters and numbers with pen and paper were half-okay, script writing totally useless due to the tiny motor skills that have to be developed

good luck... not sure why one would do this unless they HAD TO for medical reasons....

Edited by torstar

I have always been jealous with my brother who have perfect penmanship with left and right hand, and mirror writing. I am also leveling the field.

that's an interesting incentive

i have found that accounting specialty fields are majority half-lefthanded (forensic and receivership) with a few truly ambidextrous folk

many claim they are, but get real, and they were forced over during their formative years to unsinister means, one was really damaged by it... :(

I am most intrigued about using the other half of the brain. Today, I will start my first 20 minutes going from righty to lefty.

Left-handed people forced to crosstrain as right-handed don't develop handwriting superpowers, they develop stuttering.

This is probably not beneficial unless you're in the tiny proportion of the population that's natively ambidextrous.

Left-handed people forced to crosstrain as right-handed don't develop handwriting superpowers, they develop stuttering.

This is probably not beneficial unless you're in the tiny proportion of the population that's natively ambidextrous.

i guess i just missed out on Ontario forcing kids to go right-handed

my teacher was astounded to find i was stretching my fingers out as far as they could reach and dragging my hand through the pencil marks and planting my hand and stretching out my fingers again

This is interesting to me as I was forced to switch. I had trouble with stuttering until I was about 10. At this age I got involved in a bible memory program that required no stuttering and repeating or you were out. I very quickly got over my stuttering after that, and haven't ever had any more problems with it.

This is interesting to me as I was forced to switch. I had trouble with stuttering until I was about 10. At this age I got involved in a bible memory program that required no stuttering and repeating or you were out. I very quickly got over my stuttering after that, and haven't ever had any more problems with it.

Press on.

i guess i just missed out on Ontario forcing kids to go right-handed

I think you missed it by a generation or so, like me. Left-handed writing used to be unambiguously wrong. Edited by Corona688

I think you missed it by a generation or so, like me. Left-handed writing used to be unambiguously wrong.

early 1970s for me

Yep, that's exactly when left-handed writing started to be acceptable. I was an 80's kid myself and it wasn't an issue. A few older teachers still remembered things being otherwise, well into high school.

Yep, that's exactly when left-handed writing started to be acceptable. I was an 80's kid myself and it wasn't an issue. A few older teachers still remembered things being otherwise, well into high school.

Departmental Exams, mandatory Latin and right-handed-only just missed me

that's an interesting incentive

i have found that accounting specialty fields are majority half-lefthanded (forensic and receivership) with a few truly ambidextrous folk

many claim they are, but get real, and they were forced over during their formative years to unsinister means, one was really damaged by it... :(

My recollection of childhood is that I was completely ambidextrous. I do remember aunts & uncles being shocked that I would draw with pencil or crayon in one hand, switch to the other, switch back, and I remember being confused by their reaction because to me it was the most natural thing in the world.

Around age 5 or 6 I specialized. Anything with fine motor control is on my left hand. Anything strength related (lifting, throwing, hammering) is on the right. Trying to use the "wrong" side for either job is completely unnatural.

I do tell people that "pick one side!" was required/encouraged in school, somewhere 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade (which was in early 70s). And I did go to Catholic school and had at least one nun in each of those grades. But I have no distinct memories any more of that process, so when I'm being honest I have to admit that the nuns requiring me to change to their ideals may be the truth, or may be an embellishment that I added to improve the story; I really don't remember.

I do, though, want to get to a point where I try to learn to write as a right handed underwriter. But I'm not currently at a place where I think I could keep to a regular practice schedule, there are many days where at the end of the day I get home and just don't have the time/patience to do more. But, inkyfingers, I really appreciate watching you go through this process.

And if I were to practice, my normal left handed writing would certainly benefit from just doing ovals. :headsmack:

Edited by XYZZY

I am left handed, but have arthritis all through my left hand now. Sometimes it is painful to write. I have "played" around with my right hand, but I haven't been diligent about practicing. Perhaps I should start again.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I am confident that using strictly muscular movement (arm and shoulder), one can write extremely legible. It took me a very long time, to get my right hand to write as I like it now. This experiment is a way to demonstrate that a righty can do lefty sufficiently better and faster than retraining a hand.

My ovals and push-pull are not up to par by a very long shot. I am confident that following the Ziller's method to better penmanship, I will be able to write legibly by following the exercise as precisely as I can.

I am left handed, but have arthritis all through my left hand now. Sometimes it is painful to write. I have "played" around with my right hand, but I haven't been diligent about practicing. Perhaps I should start again.

try chalkboards or whiteboards or larger surfaces first, this might give you some encouragement to see what you can do with your right hand naturally