Your Favorite Purple Black Inks

amberleadavis

Do you want to do a CRV, I'll send you letter with Stipula's Purple IG ink. (You can write back with the Lavender Black IG, they would be a great comparison).

(Scratches head...being thick...) Amberlea, what's a CRV?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• NeverTapOut

• ENewton

I'd love to see it.

Did you receive my card with the writing in Sailor Kobe Suma Purple? I tried to send a personal message, but your FPN inbox was full.

The ink is actually deep dark purple.

fpn_1553366837__img_6898.jpg

White_Lotus...I love the pen and the paper. With the Pelikan 200 and 400 can you remove the nib units and what is the difference between the two? I have been looking for a smaller size pen. I also like using a dark purple...Kobe #32 Tamon Purple Grey...until prices went up and bottle sizes got smaller.

Regards,

David

How would you rate Diamine Damson to Kobe #32 Tamon Purple Gray color wise? Tamon Purple was my go to however I refuse to pay more for less. Is Diamine Damson dark enough to be used in a professional setting? I need a Tamon Purple substitute. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

David

How would you rate Diamine Damson to Kobe #32 Tamon Purple Gray color wise? Tamon Purple was my go to however I refuse to pay more for less. Is Diamine Damson dark enough to be used in a professional setting? I need a Tamon Purple substitute. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

David

You might want to take a lot at the Birmingham purples. Lilac Wind is a grayish purple, but there are others in the lineup that you might also like.

My most used ink is Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, and I bought a backup bottle recently, in case the recent change in packaging and pricing of the Sailor-branded inks will eventually also apply to the Kobe inks, but so far I haven't seen smaller bottles of Kobe inks being sold.

You might want to take a lot at the Birmingham purples. Lilac Wind is a grayish purple, but there are others in the lineup that you might also like.

My most used ink is Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, and I bought a backup bottle recently, in case the recent change in packaging and pricing of the Sailor-branded inks will eventually also apply to the Kobe inks, but so far I haven't seen smaller bottles of Kobe inks being sold.

I'll check them out...Thank You. I was on their site the other day. I write with XXF, XF, F so with the Kobe I dilute it 20% just to get that purple undertone so I can tell its an original document versus a copy. I also found using the Sailor made inks that it make the pen write one nib size up.

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

ENewton,

The Kobe Suma Purple...is sort of like Tamon Purple Grey and Ink of Witch...Almost a black with purple undertones. Again each ink is different however they are like 90% the same. Am I correct? I found a quote from Ghost Plane from 2015..."Tamon and this (Suma Purple) are so close to Ink of the Witch that in dim lighting, it's hard to tell them apart."...Who you say that is correct?

Regards,

David

ENewton,

The Kobe Suma Purple...is sort of like Tamon Purple Grey and Ink of Witch...Almost a black with purple undertones. Again each ink is different however they are like 90% the same. Am I correct? I found a quote from Ghost Plane from 2015..."Tamon and this (Suma Purple) are so close to Ink of the Witch that in dim lighting, it's hard to tell them apart."...Who you say that is correct?

Regards,

David

David, of the three inks you mention, Suma Purple is the only one I have used, but from online images posted in different reviews by the same person (visvamitra), it appears to me that Suma Purple is warmer than Tamon Purple Grey and purpler than Ink of the Witch.

I agree that, either in dim light or in a wet pen, many dark purples are difficult to tell apart. A few months ago, I had the idea of posting a comparison of all of my purple inks on the same page, using the same dip nib, but of approximately 15 inks, at least 10 looked so close to black as to be virtually indistinguishable on the page. In my fountain pens, they all look different enough that I don't consider them fungible. I have explored one nice dark purple after another before settling on Suma Purple as my favorite.

David, of the three inks you mention, Suma Purple is the only one I have used, but from online images posted in different reviews by the same person (visvamitra), it appears to me that Suma Purple is warmer than Tamon Purple Grey and purpler than Ink of the Witch.

I agree that, either in dim light or in a wet pen, many dark purples are difficult to tell apart. A few months ago, I had the idea of posting a comparison of all of my purple inks on the same page, using the same dip nib, but of approximately 15 inks, at least 10 looked so close to black as to be virtually indistinguishable on the page. In my fountain pens, they all look different enough that I don't consider them fungible. I have explored one nice dark purple after another before settling on Suma Purple as my favorite.

ENewton,

Do you dilute them at all because they are such saturated inks because I believe you said you use a F nib?

Regards,

David

ENewton,

Do you dilute them at all because they are such saturated inks because I believe you said you use a F nib?

Regards,

David

I like the way they look in my Western fine points, but sometimes when I finish a fill, I draw up distilled water into the converter and write with them diluted for a few days.

Ink of the Witch is much blacker. Tamon purple is GREY, it looks like a bruise.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ink of the Witch is much blacker. Tamon purple is GREY, it looks like a bruise.

All dark colors to me look black...it must be the nib size...XXF, XF, F, or PO. I am ordering my first 149 in a B nib so I will see color variation.

Regards,

David

Edited by Jesus1

David, you will love the pen. I am trying to use up my ink and love the huge nibs.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

David, you will love the pen. I am trying to use up my ink and love the huge nibs.

Amberlea,

I have seen a pic of your ink supply...may I suggest an avatar with a BBB in each hand...and you will still never run out : )

In our professional lives we need our handwriting to fit an appropriate box on a form...hence the smaller nib sizes.

As I get older now I'm like live a little...however me going from smaller size nibs to a B is a big jump. The B is probably going to be my "gateway" nib. This time next year my whole collection will be BBB.

Regards,

David

Edited by Jesus1

Amberlea,

I have seen a pic of your ink supply...may I suggest an avatar with a BBB in each hand...and you will still never run out : )

In our professional lives we need our handwriting to fit an appropriate box on a form...hence the smaller nib sizes.

As I get older now I'm like live a little...however me going from smaller size nibs to a B is a big jump. The B is probably going to be my "gateway" nib. This time next year my whole collection will be BBB.

Regards,

David

We'll get you onto 1.1 stubs in no time!

We'll get you onto 1.1 stubs in no time!

I can resist...

Houston saying...yeah right...I've heard that before.

Yeah, 1.1 is a tad small for me. I write like I'm yelling.

Disclaimer: I'm actually not much of a violet person, but I like dark violets.

• De Atramentis Aubergine
  • J. Herbin Poussière de Lune
  • Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Bordeaux
  • Diamine Bilberry

The last is more of a blurple-black, but still dark enough to pass in a professional setting. I consider Alt-Bordeaux and Poussière de Lune to be variations of the same colour, with less black in it than the others, but still plenty dark.

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)