Your Favorite Purple Black Inks

amberleadavis

... I don't think I've seen R&K's Aubergine on the thread yet.

This one is not "black" enough, but I find it very gorgeous:

...‹snip›...

Review here!

That was Rohrer & Klingner 2018 Limited Edition Aubergine ink.

Now let's see if my shipment of inks, which includes a bottle of Platinum Classic Ink Lavender Black, forwarded to me from Japan by a reshipper actually gets here. That's one I haven't seen mentioned in this thread.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• NeverTapOut

• ENewton

I look forward to seeing it. I used Blackstone's Lemur purple for over a month. What a great ink!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, after almost a week of limbo, I was told by Rakuten Global Express (RGX), the Japanese reshipper I use, that Japan Post refused to accept the shipment because it contains ink, which is classified as a 'dangerous item' (since when?! It was OK not even two months ago), and RGX was not refunding the shipping fees for the failed shipment and they want to charge me for handling the return of the inks to the vendor (including a processing fee on top of the actual postal charges). That means I stood to lose an amount to the tune of A$50, with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I complained. RGX first told me (not in so many words) "too bad, so sad," but then a couple of hours later changed its tune, and said it'll have another go at lodging the shipment for me after revising the classification of the items in the parcel to match what it used in January for my bottle of Platinum Classic Ink Khaki Black, with no guarantees but at no further charge to me.

We'll see what happens. It seems this time the parcel has at least made it past the local post office and is now in Tokyo.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

DRAT

I hope you get your ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Although not black purple, but a dark purple, I love Blackbird starling purple 💜

Other favorites include Krishna silent night sky, Lamy azurite, Diamine billberry (all blurples that look more like purple to me)

And Diamine amazing amethyst (although that ones a bit lighter)

Diamine damson is also nice.

I love Noodler's nightshade also, although it's more of a maroon.

Although not black purple, but a dark purple, I love Blackbird starling purple

Other favorites include Krishna silent night sky, Lamy azurite, Diamine billberry (all blurples that look more like purple to me)

And Diamine amazing amethyst (although that ones a bit lighter)

Diamine damson is also nice.

I love Noodler's nightshade also, although it's more of a maroon.

There was originally a bunch of speculation that Blackbird Starling Purple was just a re-badged Diamine colour. What was the assumed Diamine colour?

While I would agree that the purple in Ink of Witch is, shall we say, occult, it is a truly beautiful ink, and performs well. If you can use the word seductive for an ink, that's what it is. Obviously Shigure is a choice. And as mentioned above, KWX Grey Plum and Grey Lux are also pretty and good performers.

Depending on the nib, Sailor Kobe Suma Purple can also appear black. Right now, I have it in a Sailor Pro Gear Slim with a fine nib, and I'm sure that people around me think I am using a black ink for a change.

Right now Im enjoying Visconti Purple. Its a good Spring purple.

fpn_1553332623__image.jpg

Oh dear, Im sorry I did not read the title properly. This is not purple black. Apologies.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I like the color of Diamine Damson for general writing, but it's really dry -- even in wet wet wet German piston fillers.

I like the color of Diamine Damson for general writing, but it's really dry -- even in wet wet wet German piston fillers.

I use it in a Kaco retro with no problems 😊

The ink is actually deep dark purple.

fpn_1553366837__img_6898.jpg

Wow. THAT ink is the solution to the whole thread I think.

Super out of topic but I'm eyeing the Cafe Creme for a long time. Can you give some info on how you like it? Especially the nib?

Depending on the nib, Sailor Kobe Suma Purple can also appear black. Right now, I have it in a Sailor Pro Gear Slim with a fine nib, and I'm sure that people around me think I am using a black ink for a change.

I'd love to see it.

Super out of topic but I'm eyeing the Cafe Creme for a long time. Can you give some info on how you like it? Especially the nib?

I'm a big fan of Pelikan pens and have a number of M20x with their steel nibs. I find them quite nice to write with. But I must admit that I don't have any special requirements such as flex or line variation. And I usually buy from vendors that adjust a nib even if they aren't doing a custom grind.

Ink of Witch is gorgeous.

It always eludes me when I'm open to try new inks. It's sold out all the time.

If I didn't need a permanent ink, I would have picked up a bottle a while back.

I'm a big fan of Pelikan pens and have a number of M20x with their steel nibs. I find them quite nice to write with. But I must admit that I don't have any special requirements such as flex or line variation. And I usually buy from vendors that adjust a nib even if they aren't doing a custom grind.

I'm jealous the M20x suits you : P

I tried it out, I really like it, but that sharp step from the body to the piston nob irritated my hand. A larger model may suit my larger hands unfortunately for my wallet : (

I sometimes envy those fountain pen users with smaller hands because it can often cost so much more to get a the variant of a model in a larger size.

• 3 weeks later...

I look forward to seeing it.

OK. Better late than never. Attempting to show the colour transition of this iron-gall ink:

fpn_1555562384__platinum_lavender_black_

fpn_1555562422__platinum_lavender_black_

I suppose this is more of a magenta-black than purple-black. All the same, I really like the colour.

Do you want to do a CRV, I'll send you letter with Stipula's Purple IG ink. (You can write back with the Lavender Black IG, they would be a great comparison).

Do you want to do a CRV, I'll send you letter with Stipula's Purple IG ink. (You can write back with the Lavender Black IG, they would be a great comparison).

Thanks, but no, not really.

I see Goulet Pens (with which I have no affiliation) offers a sample of Lavender Black ink for US$1.80; and that's less than what it'd cost me to send your CRV letter back from Australia after I've written in it (or send you an ink sample myself), if you'd like to compare the ink against Stipula's Purple iron-gall ink on your paper of choice.